New 991 GT3 - released

Jman_cool

PDK 'box, non-Mezger engine and 4 wheel steering, apparently.

It will be interesting to see how this is received...

Given that the 993 halo model was the Carrera 4S at launch, but the sought after model is the 2S, I'm guessing that simpler normally wins out over time for whatever reason.  But we are in a drastically changing market, and what was scoffed at for the Nissan GTR when the R32 came out (turbo, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer, electronic aids) is gradually becoming standard fitment on all performance cars.

Also, it's not really the manual box that is going away, it is the clutch pedal.

I can't wait.

It will be fast, that's the main thing.  :)

Sorry Vas, but that ain't even close to being the main thing.

The Nissan GTR is fast. We can argue over whether it is or isn't faster than the 911 Turbo that it was supposed to be faster than, but that misses the point.

Speed is not what it's about.

Fun is what it's about. It's about interaction, tactile sensation, involvement, a sense of occasion, a sense of achievement and having the ticklish bits inside the cranium tickled.

I fear that the 991 GT3 may herald a jumping of the shark, and while it may be faster than its predecessors, I suspect that it will not hold the special place in peoples' hearts that earlier GT3's held.

wow so many changes, DFI motor, rear steer, PDK and its 35kg heavier than the last one  :o  The upgraded PDK does sounds interesting though. Shifts under 100ms and you can pull both paddles in to disengage the clutch for a bit of sideways fun :)

Sorry, James.

But it is for me.

Those early GT3s are the same cars now selling for less than half of new.

I don't think they are anymore in peoples hearts than the older air cooled cars are.

If Porsche are not making cars that can go with the best of them then I am not interested.

What they have done and are doing is just that.

The price is the loss of what we once knew as the Porsche feel.

If the Porsche feel can't compete, then what's the point.

Just my opinion.

+ if we want that feel, we can keep buying the old cars. :)

Vas I think MK1 GT3's are a couple of years from hitting the lowest price you will see them at. After that they will hold and climb like 930's did. That suits me as I am a couple of years off being able to buy one!

Yes the PDK is faster, yes it changes quicker but I still bought a manual. I'm sure in 10 years time manual will be a memory but I have an auto in my daily driver & only because I drive it in the city most times. Yes I miss a gear every now and again in the Porsche but I get much more satisfaction from getting the manual shifts right as opposed to operating the paddles on the Merc. What's next, the self drive car where I can sit in the back & read the paper on my iPad? At least offer the manual as an option, just my 2 bobs worth.

Im the opposite to you 2010911C4. I bought a PDK as I actually found it just as thrilling if not more than the manual. I have a 6 speed as a daily driver and love the changing of gears. But when it comes to driving the 911 I found it way more enjoyable with the PDK. The one thing I have found with the PDK is that it does need to warm up before it is at its best. Once its at the right temp it is an amazing piece of kit. The PDK is no different in Sports+ mode as you need to be as alert as a 6 speed to drive the car. It just means you dont need to push on the clutch. Does this detract from my driving experience I certainly didnt think so. Nor did it detract from my driving experience behind the wheel of other various exotics with paddle shifters. 

Arthur,

I think the PDK is an astounding gearbox, I posted in an earlier thread saying you can't change that fast manually after i had a 991 PDK loaner. Technologically it is brilliant, I think it just comes down to personal preference, maybe I just can't get my old head around no clutch. Time will move on, old drivers will pass on.

Oh dont get me wrong I dont think you are having a go at the PDK each to their own, thats what makes us individuals. I have flipped from semi-automatic (hated the torque converter), to a 6 speed, to now a PDK. It looks like unless I end up buying another 991.1 it might be the last time I end up with a 911 MT. Am I disappointed that the 991 GT3 is PDK only, far from it. I can still buy a 997.1/2 GT3 for the 6 speed. Going forward Porsche needs to keep up with the times and like its Italian rivals they have all gone down the path of "flappy paddles" does it make it right or wrong? Well I dont think it has hurt them, just like I extremely doubt it will hurt Porsche. A GT3 is track focused first and road car second. For the track the PDF is going to be a superior piece of kit.

Progress is an incredible thing and we all deal with it in different ways.

It's a shame about the lack of manual gearbox, but it is all about motorsport and who is fastest around the track.

Sorry Vas, but that ain't even close to being the main thing.

The Nissan GTR is fast. We can argue over whether it is or isn't faster than the 911 Turbo that it was supposed to be faster than, but that misses the point.

Speed is not what it's about.

Fun is what it's about. It's about interaction, tactile sensation, involvement, a sense of occasion, a sense of achievement and having the ticklish bits inside the cranium tickled.

I fear that the 991 GT3 may herald a jumping of the shark, and while it may be faster than its predecessors, I suspect that it will not hold the special place in peoples' hearts that earlier GT3's held.

You can tell that James has been brought up right.

Remember when the GT3 first arrived?  I was on the point of buying one, till I watched them going thru the kink at Wakefield.  I can go thru there foot flat in my 3.2, it is thrilling stuff.  The new GT3 can do it also.  The difference between them doing it, and me doing it, was warp speed. 

Watching the GT3s blast through the corner, I figured that:

(1) it was just as much fun doing it in my car,

(2) I was probably more 'involved' than the drivers of the GT3,

(3) if it all came unglued, I would much rather be coming unglued at my speed not GT3 warp speed and

(4) it was more satisfying doing it myself than having all the technological wizardry and computer geeks at Weissach or wherever doing it for me

(5) point (1) is wrong, it is more fun doing it myself

I'm still driving my 3.2

HI James,

Thanks for all the info and great pics. Sounds like an amazing car. Cannot weight to see one in the flesh. interesting they have gone wide body on the standard GT3. i wonder what tricks they will have in the RS version?

Cheers

Chris

Archived