Porsche 911 sc price guide

I’m hoping somebody can give me a rough guide price on a 1981 sc coupe lhd originally from Japan. It has been stood for years, the engine is in bits. The body is pretty much rust free but does need a respray. It has had a smash on the right rear wing which is bad which squashed the oil tank and bent the trailing arm. Interior is dry and cracked from being sat in the sun. It has 16” Fuchs on it. 
I can only see the vin plate on the inner right wing, should there be an import approval plate there aswell? The car is in Wa. Anything else I should check for? 
Haven’t got many pics. Any help appreciated. 

F2CD189D-F3C7-43C9-83F5-2D8FF62223C7.jpeg

FCE3FB76-912A-4217-8C95-0C2C0BAA984D.jpeg

FA11D48C-33BF-42D8-8E2A-47F096AE4793.jpeg

OMG!  Where do you start?

I'd probably:

1) Figure out what the current market value for a going and registered LHD SC is.

2) Find out what's involved in getting it registered if it was going.  I'm not across the WA regulations but you'd want to have some certainty around this before even thinking about making an offer.

3) Take a second objective pair of eyes along for a detailed inspection and list out everything which would need to done to get it to a safe and drivable state.  Put an estimate of cost against each item.  Pay particular attention to the suspension damage and the condition of the engine and gearbox.  ie Why would someone disassemble the engine after a rear hit?  Some sort of engine damage would be my first thought.  It also looks likely to be more rusty than you have described.  Take a seat when you add it up as I think the total cost will make you giddy!

Subtract 3) from 1) and I suspect it will be a negative number.  ie The owner should pay YOU to take it away!

However, until you do a bit more due diligence you won't know if my comments above are exaggerated or not.

Also consider it may even be worth more to you if it was stripped and sold for parts rather than restored to a drivable condition.

Good luck! 

2 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

Did the engine get hit / damaged??

Rough guess at value....... $50K  with the understanding that this is an entry price opportunity & you are gambling on a successful long term project.

$50k is way too much. If you get offered 50k take it quickly!

3 minutes ago, Neggy said:

I’m looking at buying not selling, I agree 50k is way more than I thought, I was thinking around 15k.

sorry, I misread that you were selling... $15k is realistic and you should be able to get your money back if it goes south and you have to part it out

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

A lefty with all that needing done to it, plus the unseen problems? 

Brave man if you ask me 

Yes I hear you, I’m only buying if it seems a bargain, if I could snag it for under 20k is it cheap?? 

40 minutes ago, Neggy said:

Yes I hear you, I’m only buying if it seems a bargain, if I could snag it for under 20k is it cheap?? 

Yep. Well...probably what it's worth really. Anymore than that I'd say you'll be throwing your money away mate.

Especially if you're having to have everything outsourced to get it roadworthy, then you'll probably be into it for more cash than what it's worth.

Tread carefully and do your homework before jumping in

I am with Joz. Run away. 

Even doing all of the work yourself, as a car to rebuild and put back on the road, it has close to a negative value. Unknown damage, unknown rust (remembering that any rust you see is alway just the tip of the iceberg), plus an engine that is in bits.

If you got it for $15k and can do absolutely everything yourself, you may save a little bit off of just buying a running car now, but it will be at least a couple of years of hard slog. If that is what you are looking for then have a crack.

If you are farming out the work, you are still probably looking at a couple of years wait, a lot of hair pulling and a car that is worth less than you spent. 

Aircooled 911's are great, but the Porsche tax is a real thing. The best value in that car by far would be parting it out, if you got it for cheap enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 02/01/2023 at 19:07, Neggy said:

I’m hoping somebody can give me a rough guide price on a 1981 sc coupe lhd originally from Japan. It has been stood for years, the engine is in bits. The body is pretty much rust free but does need a respray. It has had a smash on the right rear wing which is bad which squashed the oil tank and bent the trailing arm. Interior is dry and cracked from being sat in the sun. It has 16” Fuchs on it. 
I can only see the vin plate on the inner right wing, should there be an import approval plate there aswell? The car is in Wa. Anything else I should check for? 
Haven’t got many pics. Any help appreciated. 

I've got an oil tank which is very clean. If you need one. 

Hey, thanks Mike for reaching out, I was literally just watching your engine rebuild videos last night, very I’mpressive and very helpful. I’m a long way off needing the oil tank yet but if it was a bargain to good to miss I could be the man? 
cheers Nathan

• 1 month later...