Cayenne Petrol Diesel or Hybrid

Harsh

43 minutes ago, Harsh said:

Looking for a car for the missus whats the thoughts on a 4-5 yr old Cayenne...............hang onlet me get my popcorn

The Summon guys had one listed here.  Looked a neat unit

Cheers........looks the goods but probably wanting to spend a bit less,more like $55-70k. Really afte peoples thoughts on the good, bad and ugly of the range

18 hours ago, Harsh said:

Cheers........looks the goods but probably wanting to spend a bit less,more like $55-70k. Really afte peoples thoughts on the good, bad and ugly of the range

Drove a 2005 then a similar year Cayenne before we bought our 2015 Kluger.

Wasn't a fan of the Cayenne's, as they felt too cramped inside, not enough rear cargo space for our liking and a harsher ride (no pun intended) compared to the Kluger. 

I personally think you can buy a better car for that sorta coin

I have a 2008 facelift model and find the air suspension very comfortable..... and the boot large, though am comparing it to my wife's Mitsubishi Outlander.

I don't have an available comparison though on the newer models re: space and ride.

We've owned a 6 diesel & I've driven a bunch of others.  I loved the torque of the diesel but you have to be ready for dpf and intake manifold issues due to our (imo) inferior diesel.  We've recently sold all our diesel cars & gone back to petrol.  I agree that for the size of the car, the room feels a little smaller but ours did 230000km  in 8. years with us as a family and holiday hauler and everything still worked beautifully, no creaks, no rattles and no issues (aside from the  dirty diesel stuff).  It spent most of its life out of the garage and while we cleaned regularly, I was still amazed at how well the paint held up - looked and felt fantastic at 10 years old.  We replaced one prop shaft and one interior fan over the life of the car and everything else was standard maintenance.  I think they're pretty well screwed together and I'd own another in a heartbeat.  In fact a gts 8 will likely be on the menu towards the end of the year.  Expect 3 - 5k per year for maintenance.  I think the least expensive year was about 2k and the most expensive just under 10.  Go for the smaller wheels and higher profile tyres and you'll have a lovely ride and (if you're getting the right tyres) sticky handling albeit with a bit of body roll.

• 2 months later...

That V6 3L diesel engine is terrible unless you are doing many miles to allow it to fully heat up- we had problems from the second year of ownership and ditched it after 3.5 years of more and more issues. I think there is a reason why Porsche ditched the diesel and I agree with that decision. However, I know others have had a great experience with it.

Have owned all three- the hybrid is actually the favourite for running around town. For longer commutes, then the regular petrol is better as the battery pack in the hybrid weighs 300kg or so, and it is hanging behind the rear axle so you feel it if driving through any fun roads.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/08/2023 at 14:32, HWY said:

That V6 3L diesel engine is terrible unless you are doing many miles to allow it to fully heat up- we had problems from the second year of ownership and ditched it after 3.5 years of more and more issues. I think there is a reason why Porsche ditched the diesel and I agree with that decision. However, I know others have had a great experience with it.

Have owned all three- the hybrid is actually the favourite for running around town. For longer commutes, then the regular petrol is better as the battery pack in the hybrid weighs 300kg or so, and it is hanging behind the rear axle so you feel it if driving through any fun roads.

Diesel was ditched because of European emissions laws. I have a 3.0 Diesel Macan and it's brilliant

• 2 weeks later...

OK, looks like my Touareg may be on the way out, my mechanic has advised me to sell once we fix an exhaust gasket problem..

Thinking about an ehybrid Cayenne, has anyone experience using one for caravan towing?  Whilst they're rated to 3.5T, torque is only 440nms compared to the 550 that the Toerag has.  ATM of van is 2250kgs, so relatively light

44 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

OK, looks like my Touareg may be on the way out, my mechanic has advised me to sell once we fix an exhaust gasket problem..

Thinking about an ehybrid Cayenne, has anyone experience using one for caravan towing?  Whilst they're rated to 3.5T, torque is only 440nms compared to the 550 that the Toerag has.  ATM of van is 2250kgs, so relatively light

That is a good question, I think I saw a post on this in the Rennlist sub-forums? 

Having road tripped from Kansas City to Nashville with a caravan & Cayenne 3.0 TDI, I can only attest to the Cayenne Diesel's towing prowess... the chassis certainly copes with it, as does the powertrain, I suspect you may miss that 100nm and I know that 3.0T petrol mill is quite revvy when compared to its 3.6TT cousin... I am not sure how much hybrid would fill that torque gap 

27 minutes ago, edgy said:

That is a good question, I think I saw a post on this in the Rennlist sub-forums? 

Having road tripped from Kansas City to Nashville with a caravan & Cayenne 3.0 TDI, I can only attest to the Cayenne Diesel's towing prowess... the chassis certainly copes with it, as does the powertrain, I suspect you may miss that 100nm and I know that 3.0T petrol mill is quite revvy when compared to its 3.6TT cousin... I am not sure how much hybrid would fill that torque gap 

Yep, the 180kw / 550nm of my V6 TDi diesel Toerag makes that a ripper tow vehicle.....  That's why I'm a little concerned the 110nm drop may be too noticeable for easy towing

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Whilst they're rated to 3.5T, torque is only 440nms compared to the 550 that the Toerag has.  ATM of van is 2250kgs, so relatively light

Is that the "combined" figure or just for the petrol donk? I found this (relevant to the 2021 model) so maybe the 440nms is just the engine alone?

"The Cayenne E-Hybrid mates an electric motor and a 17.9kWh lithium-ion battery with the turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 engine, with combined outputs of 340kW of power and 700Nm of torque. 0-100km/h is achieved in 5.0 seconds (5.1 in the coupe)."

Having said that, I have no idea how these work - is the engine keeping that battery constantly charged so you always have that torque available, or will it be flat 5 minutes into a big towing trip and then you're back to 440nms? I've never looked into these, kind of curious now!

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

What's wrong with the Toerag that makes your mechanic so keen to move it on?

10 minutes ago, Harsh said:

What's wrong with the Toerag that makes your mechanic so keen to move it on?

2013, 165,000 kms, just done an exhaust gasket (about 5 hours + to track down, disassemble, replace and re-assemble), suspect injectors mightn't be too far away either......  If one of them blows it could do so in a manner that f*cks the engine.  I've been thinking about moving it on anyway....

The misso has had the chance to pick an audi/touareg/cayenne because my mechanic told her they are all the same car unless you go for the v8 cayenne which is a porsche donk! just depends on what you like the look/feel of. And surprise,surprise she picked the touareg,the cheapest of the 3! She picks it up this week

I have a 2022 Toureg 3.0 diesel, since new, 16,000ks so far. IMHO a great vehicle, economical, responsive & comfortable. Follows a 2014 X5 3.0 ltr diesel, also a great car. I’ve driven many Cayenne’s & its hard to tell the difference once you get the settings right. Given the Q7, Cayenne, Toureg all have the same engine/underpinnings I think it’s a matter of personal preference.