Advice for first time aircooled owner

Hi all, 

Have a friend who's recently purchased a 911 3.2 and he asked me if there's anything he should keep in the car with him at all times in case he gets stuck on the side of the road, as these cars are getting older. 

I gave a few suggestions off the top of my head like a firestryker, oil, tyre inflator etc. 

Is there anything that everyone keeps with them in the car, or for long trips that I could recommend to him and even myself for that matter. 

Thanks. 

Everything! 😅

Seriously though, basic tools, definitely a fire extinguisher or 2. Roll of fuse wire, fuses, fuel pump relay (I'd highly recommend that), coil, fan belt (a must), and a nationwide roadside assistance membership which is also a must have! I'd probably invest in a service manual too

And don't trust the fuel and oil gauges! 

18 hours ago, LeeM said:

Everything! 😅

Seriously though, basic tools, definitely a fire extinguisher or 2. Roll of fuse wire, fuses, fuel pump relay (I'd highly recommend that), coil, fan belt (a must), and a nationwide roadside assistance membership which is also a must have! I'd probably invest in a service manual too

And don't trust the fuel and oil gauges! 

Sounds like I might trust mine too much as I don’t carry anything other than the tool kit (inc fan belt), a compressor & a fire extinguisher 😬

5 hours ago, Yellowbird said:

Sounds like I might trust mine too much as I don’t carry anything other than the tool kit (inc fan belt), a compressor & a fire extinguisher 😬

I only have the tool kit and extinguisher, so I s'pose I should also practise what I preach 😅

Like u lee I carry bugger all, extinguisher and Porsche road side assist 🤦‍♂️ will be heading off on a 3 day regional boys run in Sept this thread has me now thinking about getting the spare tire out of storage, packing a decent tool roll and spares 👊

The OP is asking about a 3.2.

Suggestions are for a fuel pump relay. I'm not sure this applies to the Motronic models.

Perhaps the DME relay? I don't think they are the same thing.

I carry a spare DME and have used it once in 36 years.

For a 3.2? 

Just a toothbrush, a change of undies and a spare DME relay.

I think the secret is to do preventative maintenance and that really means drive it regularly and fix things as you notice them.

Also suggest installing fuses in the power supplies to the front condenser fan motor and the lights for the ashtray and the ventilation panel as they are prone to short and burn a lot of wiring out as they aren't fuse protected from the factory.  Google will provide a "how to".  Also a set of relays in the headlight circuit will improve brightness and extend the life of the hi/lo switch. 

Like others have said, they are surprisingly reliable.

Oh, if you have a 915 car, carry a spare clutch cable wrapped inside the top of your spare wheel.  I actually had it inserted in a length of vinyl tube from Bunnings to stop it rattling and marking my rim.

On 25/08/2023 at 07:45, sus911 said:

The OP is asking about a 3.2.

Suggestions are for a fuel pump relay. I'm not sure this applies to the Motronic models.

Perhaps the DME relay? I don't think they are the same thing.

I carry a spare DME and have used it once in 36 years.

I think my car 87' has the DME relay under the driver's seat? Not sure 100% though. I'm not sure if the earlier cars are the same. His one is an 85'.

DME wouldn't be ideal to change on the side of the road? Not sure if seat needs to come out?

13 hours ago, Peter M said:

For a 3.2? 

Just a toothbrush, a change of undies and a spare DME relay.

I think the secret is to do preventative maintenance and that really means drive it regularly and fix things as you notice them.

Also suggest installing fuses in the power supplies to the front condenser fan motor and the lights for the ashtray and the ventilation panel as they are prone to short and burn a lot of wiring out as they aren't fuse protected from the factory.  Google will provide a "how to".  Also a set of relays in the headlight circuit will improve brightness and extend the life of the hi/lo switch. 

Like others have said, they are surprisingly reliable.

Oh, if you have a 915 car, carry a spare clutch cable wrapped inside the top of your spare wheel.  I actually had it inserted in a length of vinyl tube from Bunnings to stop it rattling and marking my rim.

Thanks Peter fuses are a good idea. I need to get on top of that for my own car. 

All 3.2's have a DME relay under the passenger seat.  I think you could unplug the old relay (leaving it in place as it's held by a 10mm bolt) and plug a new one while the seat is in place provided your hands aren't too big.  In any case the seat is only held in place with 4 allen head bolts (8 or 10mm, can't remember!) and you can tilt the seat back to gain easy access without having to lift the seat out. 

For sure carry a spare DME fuel pump relay in your 3.2 as others have said.  I had mine fail out on the open road last year (it was the original from 1987) and the car just died at 100km/h, luckily on a quiet piece of road.  I grabbed the spare from the frunk and had it up and running in just a few minutes.  No need to remove the passenger seat just push it back all the way and remove the socket off the old relay which will be bolted down. Click in the new one and just leave it floating around under the seat. Unbolt the old one when you get home and bolt the new one down.

I also carry a range of fuses and relays, spare fan belt and spanner as well as a tyre repair kit and 12v pump.