Taycan Drive Impressions

AAAC

The Electric/Hybrid section was looking a little bare so I thought that I would add some thoughts on the Taycan.  

I drove an optioned base model.  I think that they are a very good looking sedan.  Power and response was good and it had a smooth ride.  The steering and the way it sat on the road reminded me of my Cayman, which is a compliment.  A lovely vehicle to drive.  Downsides?  I did not like the artificial sounds, the optional dash-wide screen had too much going on and it should at least  have a software option for one pedal driving.  

At the moment long distance travel could be difficult but that will improve.  For most owners, most of the time, that would be overshadowed by the ease of home fuelling.  

I am pro-electric, bearing in mind that it is not the answer to every transport scenario, however even for those who scoff at electrification, climate change etc, the Taycan is a wonderful car to drive.

• 4 months later...

Great idea, but all these charging stations are woefully inadequate (too small) if we're all to adopt electric. Works fine when electric cars are 5% of the market.

I suspect even something like this is far too small for major routes given the charging times:

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/8522038/plans-for-worlds-largest-tesla-supercharger-station-revealed/

I was given the chance to drive a Taycan for a whole day while my 987 Boxster S was being serviced. My impressions - crap "sports car", but a great city car to go from point A to B. That's it. Smooth, quiet and efficient. No emotion. Not sure how the first bloke said it was like a Cayman, because it certainly didn't feel even remotely close to my Boxster. Steering? Felt like my hands were numb compared to a 987. The way it felt on the road? Heavy. No way to hide the heft of it. The so called awesome acceleration and "performance" of the electric motor was fun - for the first 5 seconds - and only once. After that, the party trick was done and it just felt like a perfectly smooth comfortable car. A great alternative to a Camry if you don't leave town. Definitely a long way from a good sports car yet. Agree with the fake engine noise. I liked that for about 5 seconds too but then it made me sad for what has actually been lost.

I'm neither pro anything and I honestly believe that for most people 90%+ an electric car is better than any ICE car, but I'm waiting to see if they can do a decent sports EV. The new Boxster has a lot riding on it. It'll fool many with it's "instant" throttle, which to many means "performance". 0-100 times are one (very small) component of a sports car. I'll be looking for other markers.

• 4 weeks later...