What's a 3.2 worth?

Hey guys, 

I had an early 3.2, moved on to a 964 which I've since sold and now want to get into a 3.2 again. This time around I want a later G50 car. I've been looking for about 6 months with no luck and recently one has come up meeting my exact spec list off market. 

Aussie car, low kms (180,000kms), unique colour, top end rebuild about 40,000kms ago. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, but can't really know for sure what it's worth, because there hasn't been anything comparable to compare against. Price is smack on $200k he is asking. 

I sold my 3.2 a couple of years ago, which was similar to this car, apart from the G50 obviously and I sold it for $160k. I've seen a targa G50 sell at porschadens which was basically identical and that sold relatively quickly in the high $100s. Then there's alot of cabs that seem to move at maybe $130k-$140k? 

What do you all think?

Also if anyone is considering selling a late 3.2 as per above, feel free to get in touch. 

It would have to be the best of the best for $200k, things are cooling but older good classic 911s are fairly firm. I wouldn't really want to part with more than $180k for such a car, very good earlier 3.2s are in the $150-170k bracket.

On 17/11/2023 at 17:05, Bugs77 said:

It would have to be the best of the best for $200k, things are cooling but older good classic 911s are fairly firm. I wouldn't really want to part with more than $180k for such a car, very good earlier 3.2s are in the $150-170k bracket.

I've waited a while because everyone's said the same thing - 'markets cooling', but I just can't find one for sale and when they do come up, they're all minimum $180k even for high kms cars that need work. Seller is firm on $200k. I'm getting a PPI done, if everything is good, as you've said I'm going to go for it. I can live with thaet knowing I might not even find anything comparable for a year or two and the way inflations going, who knows if they'll stay at that price. 

On 17/11/2023 at 18:10, tomk86 said:

Yep, I would have thought $180k with nothing to spend 

What would the price difference be between a car with 150,000kms and nothing to spend compared to 300,000kms with nothing to spend? Which one do you pay $180k for?

Really depends on quality of work done, a car that's done 300,000kms can be just as good or better than a car that's done 150,000kms, but for $180k whichever must be a true nothing to spend car, many at that price are not. Personally I would struggle with spending that on any 3.2, would have to be a collector grade car which you then couldn't drive.

In comparison I have an SC, bit of a hot rod so quicker than a 3.2 but everything is done right down to the wheel bearings, full interior re-trim and comes with electric aircon and LED upgrade so no classic car irks, a true nothing to spend car unless you wanted to change the colour. I'd put it at $145k 

String...piece of...how long? 

What's my backdate really worth? Gawd knows, though I wouldn't take any less than $X for it.

The tired old saying with regards to values "It's worth what someone is prepared to pay" seems appropriate to me.

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone here, as it's just my opinion and what I'd say to anyone to their face, yet if there's not many cars around in the condition a buyer demands, it's a sellers market to ask whatever they like and the buyer just has to suck it up if they want it badly enough.

I always look at collectingcars as a worst case, because that's what they actually sell for. 

Here's one:

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1987-porsche-911-carrera-3-2-2

Add 20% for Aussie delivered tax? 6% buyers premium (I think it is) and you're at $165-$170k. This has more kms and guards red is the least desirable colour on a 3.2 I'd say based on what others have said? 

So I'd say maybe $190k is a fair medium. As Lee has said though, if you really want it that much, then you're going to pay $200k, because there's nothing else around. 

Good luck. 

I see some 3.2 and 930 turbos for sale where in the comments they are listed as "tourist delivery". Does the market discount the price of these like a UK import or is it considered as an Aust delivered car still? Some seem to have quite a large number of years gap between year of manufacture and Australian service records...

Thanks everyone. Cars currently getting a RWC. PPI came up pretty good, a few minor leaks, some bushes, old tyres, steering wheel had play, which is another bushing I believe. Only thing that needed urgent was the door stays, which seems to have damaged the drivers door sheet metals. 

The engine was rebuilt in 1999 and the car had sat for about 15 years too. Seller has quite a few cars, so not suprised. 2 of the rear shocks need changing as they were leaking aswell. 

Unfortunatelys I couldn't get the seller to budge much off the price, so I paid just under asking, but no regrets. Happy to finally just stop searchings. It's only money at the end of the day. 

1 hour ago, mrar said:

Is this where we say "the market has spoken", when a seller will not bugde on his ask (@$200) for a car that needs some work but purchaser is now happy to buy just under ask with a list of ppi recommendations to be done?

Bit opposite to the noise in the 996 gt3 thread. Lots of talking down the market in that thread.

Big difference in the number of available cars I would have thought? One market is slim pickings ,the other full of stale offerings...

Don't see people talking down the 997 4.0 RS from the cool million but when there are anywhere up to 8-10 996 GT3s for sale, that's a completely different story. 

2 hours ago, mrar said:

Wrong thread, I know.

Just did quick search on Carsales, Keyword:GT3, yrs 1999-2004 ....found one gt3 996 (nice car big ask) add the one at auction coping some tyre kickers = 2 off those platforms .

Fair call although clicking through the ads further down, I believe I counted 3 cars on hold. Hopefully the market is strong and they are sold as opposed to being on a two week break before another crack. There certainly wasn't just one for sale a few weeks back 🤷 

The only 996 car that I know of that people aspire to own is the 3RS... So 200k is a big number to stomach when 997.1 are struggling to transact beyond 220k in recent weeks. My 2 cents before we let this topic get back on track... 

Thanks guys. 

Not my first rodeo buying a Porsche and as @LeeM said, I'd expected the issues to be fixed too, but what can you do when there's nothing elses around... When I bought my other cars, it was a buyers market. Everyone's telling me it's a buyers market now still, maybe that's the case for other cars, but if it was the case for this model, people would be offering up there cars, instead of me trying to find them like a detective. I had the added pressure of the place doing the PPI telling me that the car was decent and that someone had asked for the owners details if I didn't go ahead with it. Lucky I've been dealing with the workshop for the most part of 10 years and they didn't pull a shifty. 

PPI list was around $5k estimated and that's what he came down to. I could wait and wait and a few years could pass this one and nothing as good could come up. I'm not getting any younger and in the bigger schemes I've paid $10k over what people have said it market, so I can live with that :)

Thanks again. Will post some photos when I pick up the car. 

4 hours ago, Lindo said:

Congrats David

This is the car I was referring to that was Tourist Delivery. Supersport 3.2.

Would appreciate peoples thought on whether a supersport should be priced so highly above others.

https://www.alexhollandclassiccars.com/1987-porsche-911-carrera-3-2-supersport/

Looks ok. I am not a fan of the widebody model. A bit of a sheep's in wolf's clothing as they say. I wanted a narrow body. So never considered the car and I'm not sure about the tourist delivery. 

Thanks

29 minutes ago, mrar said:

Ouch, that hurt!😂

I went the other way was chasing 3rs but bought normal mk1 in end after some failed attempts and am glad now as it's on the limits of comfortable on the backroads here. Rs would of been boneshaking. It more than likely would be stuck in corner of shed until track event.

Apologies, didn't know you had skin in the game. Wasn't meant as a dig at 996 GT3 owners at all 🙏

1 hour ago, davidtran said:

Thanks guys. 

Not my first rodeo buying a Porsche and as @LeeM said, I'd expected the issues to be fixed too, but what can you do when there's nothing elses around... When I bought my other cars, it was a buyers market. Everyone's telling me it's a buyers market now still, maybe that's the case for other cars, but if it was the case for this model, people would be offering up there cars, instead of me trying to find them like a detective. I had the added pressure of the place doing the PPI telling me that the car was decent and that someone had asked for the owners details if I didn't go ahead with it. Lucky I've been dealing with the workshop for the most part of 10 years and they didn't pull a shifty. 

PPI list was around $5k estimated and that's what he came down to. I could wait and wait and a few years could pass this one and nothing as good could come up. I'm not getting any younger and in the bigger schemes I've paid $10k over what people have said it market, so I can live with that :)

Thanks again. Will post some photos when I pick up the car. 

Congrats on the purchase.

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

I looked for a few years for my G50. In the 4 or so years I've had it, I've followed the market closely and I'd say there's been maybe 4 good ones that have come up. Two nice forrest green ones, a red and a white. Based on that, you could be waiting a while if you missed this one (only including the Aussie cars I've seen on carsales). 

Interesting that you came from a 964. How do you feel they compare? 

As long as you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters.