What's a 3.2 worth?

32 minutes ago, mrar said:

All good.

Wouldn't call my gt3 skin in the game, not an investment per say.

Just own and drive one that's not for sale. 

Great car.

The right approach and how I prefer to do ownership. Life is too short to get caught up in value retention. Way more fun going flat out! 

3 hours ago, 911 said:

Congrats on the purchase.

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

I looked for a few years for my G50. In the 4 or so years I've had it, I've followed the market closely and I'd say there's been maybe 4 good ones that have come up. Two nice forrest green ones, a red and a white. Based on that, you could be waiting a while if you missed this one (only including the Aussie cars I've seen on carsales). 

Interesting that you came from a 964. How do you feel they compare? 

As long as you're happy with your purchase, that's all that matters. 

I really bought the 964 becaue it was talked up so highly having best chassis, moderns suspension etc etc. I didn't love it. Felt heavy and less raw. Less engaging really. The looks never grew on me either. Kept missing my 3,2. The transmission was alot better for me though. The 915 was delicate. Had to shift slower etc etc. Prices went up and I thought good time to sell and get into a late 3.2 which has the same trans and the body styling I liked most. The one thing I wanted on 3.2 was independent suspensions, but not a big deal. You learn as you go.

I even test drove 996 gt3. Beautiful car, but not a fan of styling. I just don't like 996 at all and as said above better to just get 997 gt3 if spending over $200k. I just prefer classic 911. Can't explain more than that. Everyone's like what they like. 

5 hours ago, davidtran said:

Looks ok. I am not a fan of the widebody model. A bit of a sheep's in wolf's clothing as they say. I wanted a narrow body. So never considered the car and I'm not sure about the tourist delivery. 

Thanks

Thanks David. I do like the wide body look but consensus seems to be narrow body is the better drive and for the money the car to have.

Congrats on the purchase! 6 months from now you won’t give a stuff what you paid.

Anything boomers covet is in short supply. It is a two speed market, which is why you get people talking it down. Most people under mid 40s are battening down the hatches and in some cases flogging stuff off to stay afloat. Most people over 55 are spending like they always have. The retired over 65s in general are spending more as interest rates increase. That is reflected in the largely unchanging air cooled market, while the water cooled one is either stagnant or the arse has fallen out depending on model.

Distressed sales are largely on newer cars under finance. I suspect these older models won’t shift much in value as finance is unlikely to be involved.

Congrats on the purchase. I think, at this stage,  the market is what you want for it. My mate paid a lot more for his 915 car but it was a low mileage rebuilt low 10xxxx kms car. 

I struggle with the 3.2, I love the car, it drives superbly well, it is fast (I just got 7 pts on it), its comfortable and I have used it as my daily. It just needs better aircon!!.! All cars of this age need work, and can never be perfect! (my wife says they are not good for people with obsessive personalities. (me!))

17 minutes ago, drmurugti said:

Congrats on the purchase. I think, at this stage,  the market is what you want for it. My mate paid a lot more for his 915 car but it was a low mileage rebuilt low 10xxxx kms car. 

I struggle with the 3.2, I love the car, it drives superbly well, it is fast (I just got 7 pts on it), its comfortable and I have used it as my daily. It just needs better aircon!!.! All cars of this age need work, and can never be perfect! (my wife says they are not good for people with obsessive personalities. (me!))

No truer words than your wifes 😅

12 hours ago, 911 said:

Maybe you got a bargain David. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-911-carrera-manual/OAG-AD-22694774

Will be interesting to see if this moves. Rebuilt and retrimmed. 

This 3.2 has a premium added for bring one of the 25 year anniversary models. 

But agree it will be interesting to see if it sells at that price.

5 hours ago, crsedge said:

This 3.2 has a premium added for bring one of the 25 year anniversary models. 

But agree it will be interesting to see if it sells at that price.

How much of a premium? Can't imagine paying more than an extra $10k for bugger all. 

That being said, it's has full leather trim and the special wishes 930 console. Might be more. I'm not sure what the selling points were for them. Anyone know what made them special. 

4 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Controversial opinion - 84/85 are the pick of the 3.2’s. 

I would tend to agree (biased maybe because I own one, but I feel I can give an opinion on this).

All of them Aussie cars. I initially owned an 84, had a wevo but unbuilt 915, sold it got a 88 then sold that and finally got my 85. However, my 85 is an unicorn, low mileage so it feels fresh but also has a new engine and box by RRR and it feels more powerful, more raw and also warmer lol! I wonder if it is the 231hp vs 217hp? I miss the aircon from the 88.

Mostly the difference you feel is in the condition of the bits. In the old 915 vs G50 debate many were comparing older worn 915s with fresher G50s, not really fair.

Truth is a well sorted 915 is very good, they have their own special feel. Addition of Wevo internal gateshift icing on the cake, that over the shifter.

Fit Classic Retrofit aircon to your car, will transform the driving experience.

I've recently had my 915 box rebilt, new sliders, dog rings and synchros.........totally transformed into a smooth shifting joy to drive.  

I'd previously been putting up with some sporadic baulking from 1st to 2nd which lifts the blood pressure and takes some joy out of driving.  Prior to rebuild I did install the Wevo shifter and coupling which didn't improve worn internals, just made shifting more direct but now the combination is at another level 👍

5 hours ago, OBRUT said:

I've had an '86 which had the benefit of larger air con vents...Thats it, the 84 I had was far better to drive, more hp.

22 minutes ago, Bugs77 said:

Mostly the difference you feel is in the condition of the bits. In the old 915 vs G50 debate many were comparing older worn 915s with fresher G50s, not really fair.

Truth is a well sorted 915 is very good, they have their own special feel. Addition of Wevo internal gateshift icing on the cake, that over the shifter.

Fit Classic Retrofit aircon to your car, will transform the driving experience.

Also agree with this, I have put wevo in a car, and had one without.  There is something nice about a well sorted 915 that gives more of a classic car feel.  And taking your time for shifts and getting it perfect is such a good feeling.  

Oh guys, next you'll be telling me you miss setting point gaps and greasing nipples!

By every measure a G50 is a nicer gearbox to use and there are good reasons Porsche adopted them mid model.  The market recognizes that too.

However I do agree a '84/'85 is the pick of the 3.2's if price is included in the decision.

But we all know with any 3.2 you buy the best one you can afford irrespective of the transmission

14 hours ago, Peter M said:

Oh guys, next you'll be telling me you miss setting point gaps and greasing nipples!

By every measure a G50 is a nicer gearbox to use and there are good reasons Porsche adopted them mid model.  The market recognizes that too.

However I do agree a '84/'85 is the pick of the 3.2's if price is included in the decision.

But we all know with any 3.2 you buy the best one you can afford irrespective of the transmission

Nothing to do with price, I just think the combination of more power and less weight makes them a better drive.  

yep the 84/85 cars are lighter and more powerful therefore slightly quicker...I've added a cat bypass, M&K 1in 1 out muffler and Steve Wong chip to my 87 which has woken the car up quite a bit, is it as quick as a 915 car? not sure...any well sorted 3.2 regardless of transmission is a wonderful car regardless!

On 03/12/2023 at 21:17, 911 said:

Maybe you got a bargain David. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1989-porsche-911-carrera-manual/OAG-AD-22694774

Will be interesting to see if this moves. Rebuilt and retrimmed. 

Wow. What makes me feel better. Mines a similar colour (dark blue) non metalic. Should be ready next week. Can't wait. 

On 05/12/2023 at 09:35, OBRUT said:

I had both and prefer the G50 cars. Just my opinions though. The problem with 915s is that as they wear they degrade in shift quality pretty quickly. G50 is consistent and if anything will one day go bang, not degrade but nothing like a bad 915. A good 915 might shift the same if not betters, but they don't stay good long enough with most drivers, because not many people can drive them properly. 

Transmision is just one of the reasons I prefer G50 car. Bigger A/C vents are another big one. Old car had rubbish A/C and I find they have some really nice colours in 87-89. They are also the last of the impact bumpers and the rarest, given i searched forever. I think I could have bought 10 84-85 in the time it took for 1 87-89 to come up. 

I wish I liked the 84-85 cars more. Could have rebuilt the 915 and haves money left over for some nice mods. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Any thoughts on the value of my  911 3.2 1986   135 000kms  is ?  , i havent been following the market for a while and now thinking of selling it .

The vehicle information is as follows;

VIN WP0ZZZ91ZGS103815
Eng# 64G06993
Model 911331 911 Carrera Coupe
Year 1986
Colour G1G1 Guards Red
Interior Black Leatherette, Seats Leather
Delivered 22nd Oct 1986, Melbourne, Australia
Options 261= Electric Left Side Mirror
341= Central Locking
425= Rear Wiper
473= Front and Rear Spoilers