Macan EV

JWM

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

Riveting stuff 😅

Ha! I’d forgotten how boring these official launch things are … 30 mins of crapping on about art week in Singapore, wooden execs talking garbage … and two mins with the car …

After I woke up from that snooze fest I found the embargo was lifted and all the usuals had YouTube videos up … but just talk … sounds like no one has driven it yet.

Holy crap are they expensive! Around 30-40K more expensive than the ICE Macan models. A fully speced ice Macan GTS is $190K. I configured an ev Macan Turbo and it came out at $240K! That's what my Cayenne GTS cost me two years ago.

7 hours ago, WGA said:

I configured an ev Macan Turbo and it came out at $240K!

I just configured one pretty close to my old MY17 Turbo = $215k 😵‍ and that’s not a lot of options ! 

IMG_0225.thumb.jpeg.fc049c697db14e7cc5cc903152e7679f.jpeg

I’ll keep burning dinosaurs for now 

1 hour ago, 911rox said:

In my view, all electric was going to be a difficult sell at current Macan prices. Good luck selling them for an extra $40k.

They'll be keeping Taycans company at holding yards. 

I could be wrong, but wouldn't most Macan's be sold to well heeled people that live very close to work and facilities? I doubt range would be a concern for most of the customers. It's the latest and greatest Porsche, I don't think it will have a problem selling. Rich people drop last years model like a used tissue. I should know - that's how I got a Porsche! Lol!

1 hour ago, Sabotage said:

I could be wrong, but wouldn't most Macan's be sold to well heeled people that live very close to work and facilities? I doubt range would be a concern for most of the customers. It's the latest and greatest Porsche, I don't think it will have a problem selling. Rich people drop last years model like a used tissue. I should know - that's how I got a Porsche! Lol!

They are fair points and largely correct too. Just feel $40k is a big increase on a car that depreciates like crazy. It was hard enough to stomach last year on GT products triple the price.

Certainly going to be an interesting experiment and will largely indicate how keen the average Porsche consumer is on the electric future they seem to be pushing so heavily. Could get interesting if consumers don't jump onboard, particularly with the Cayenne and Boxster to follow in full electric. 

26 minutes ago, 911rox said:

Certainly going to be an interesting experiment and will largely indicate how keen the average Porsche consumer is on the electric future they seem to be pushing so heavily. Could get interesting if consumers don't jump onboard, particularly with the Cayenne and Boxster to follow in full electric. 

I don’t think Porsche is pushing EVs so heavily, rather they are being pushed into EVs heavily by EU legislations.

They have reluctantly been forced into positions that may be suboptimal to both their sales/financial position, and their desires as a car enthusiast company. I think they are doing a pretty decent job in a very difficult situation - ie EU trying to force car manufacturers to have all new cars as zero emission by 2035.

If I was in the market for an EV SUV (which admittedly I am not, since I like my ICE Macan GTS just fine), I would choose the EV Macan turbo over the competition. It is heavy (>2.4 tonnes) but given they gave it double wishbone front suspension and multi-link rear - it sounds like they are trying pretty damn hard to disguise the weight, and make it handle like as ‘sportily’ as a heavy e-SUV can.

10 minutes ago, Ian718 said:

I don’t think Porsche is pushing EVs so heavily, rather they are being pushed into EVs heavily by EU legislations.

They have reluctantly been forced into positions that may be suboptimal to both their sales/financial position, and their desires as a car enthusiast company. I think they are doing a pretty decent job in a very difficult situation - ie EU trying to force car manufacturers to have all new cars as zero emission by 2035.

If I was in the market for an EV SUV (which admittedly I am not, since I like my ICE Macan GTS just fine), I would choose the EV Macan turbo over the competition. It is heavy (>2.4 tonnes) but given they gave it double wishbone front suspension and multi-link rear - it sounds like they are trying pretty damn hard to disguise the weight, and make it handle like as ‘sportily’ as a heavy e-SUV can.

They are certainly in a difficult position with the EU hell bent on zero emissions and admitted they are seeking alternatives like biofuels which is promising. Personally I don't see EVs as being the sole solution and more needs to be done with hydrogen technology.

If an EV is my only option in 10 years time for a daily drive, it will be a Tesla or Korean option under $80k. Like mobile phones, they have a depleting battery range over time and are therefore disposable in my view. $200k on a disposable asset with virtually zero end of life value just doesn't work for me, especially in Australia where it's other features {speed and handling) you can't enjoy... 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone has tried checking out the options in Porsche configurator? I'm not familiar with modern Porsche options, but it seems crazy just to get nicer interior, better wheels, PASM & sports chrono, and few other bits you're looking at extra $18,000 on top.. 

example: https://www.ourowncars.com.au/blog/porsche-macan-ev-price-configurator