To eTag or not to eTag?

84911C

Ok, so I've got my 84 911, and I'm tossing up wether to stick the eTag/roam toll tag on the window, but I reckon it will ruin the 'original' old look.

What's everyone's thought on this? Is it 'acceptable' t stick it on, or is it considered in the porsche community 'not cool'?

When I left my old company and they took back their etag, I got an account with city link that covers three cars, no etags ( I don't use city link all that often ), and I pay an extra 70cents or thereabouts for each trip........

Ring Citylink and say that it is stuck to your windscreen and when you go through tolls you can not hear a beep. They will then advise you that you do not need to display it and they will not charge you for the photo recognition.

84911C.... Mate you walked into that one ..... they are a tuff lot. Just be grateful you have not asked for feedback on red brake Callipers - that will send 'em over the edge! I'm still recovering from the on-slaught.

If it does bother you, not wrong with that, just as someone else suggested register the tag to another vehicle and nominate your orginal fitted 911 to be transferred to this each time you drive your 911 through a toll way. I do this on my motorbike as buggered if I'm having one on the front windscreen of that.

Alternatively you can get one of them number plates from Smokey and The Bandit.... On the lotus I think it was or the Trans AM?

84911C.... Mate you walked into that one ..... they are a tuff lot. Just be grateful you have not asked for feedback on red brake Callipers - that will send 'em over the edge! I'm still recovering from the on-slaught.

If it does bother you, not wrong with that, just as someone else suggested register the tag to another vehicle and nominate your orginal fitted 911 to be transferred to this each time you drive your 911 through a toll way. I do this on my motorbike as buggered if I'm having one on the front windscreen of that.

Alternatively you can get one of them number plates from Smokey and The Bandit.... On the lotus I think it was or the Trans AM?

I sure did, I'm cool with that, I kinda like it!

What I've been doing is simply holding it to the screen when driving through, I didn't mean not using one at all.

I just recon they look shit house stuck on your front windscreen.

Did you stick your decals on?

Negative - hopefully this week when I find the time. Talking to Caver today and we may be doing a breakfast in 2 weeks if you are keen. Keep you posted.

Yeh give me a yell for sure.

For what it's worth, I've stuck my toll tag behind the rear view mirror.  It's completely invisible to the driver and passenger from inside the car.  Let's face it, the Boxster doesn't have a lot of windscreen "real estate" to play with in the first place.  Thank heavens we no longer need registration labels!

I agree that the toll tags are ugly.  In NSW, you can order coloured tags, however, the adhesive pad is still white so why bother?  True, they're unsightly from outside the vehicle...but everyone has them.  I think they're a necessary evil and are tolerable as long as they're stuck on straight!!!

Anyway, if you don't like the look of them, you can always hold them up as you drive through.

For what it's worth, I've stuck my toll tag behind the rear view mirror.  It's completely invisible to the driver and passenger from inside the car.  Let's face it, the Boxster doesn't have a lot of windscreen "real estate" to play with in the first place.  Thank heavens we no longer need registration labels!

I agree that the toll tags are ugly.  In NSW, you can order coloured tags, however, the adhesive pad is still white so why bother?  True, they're unsightly from outside the vehicle...but everyone has them.  I think they're a necessary evil and are tolerable as long as they're stuck on straight!!!

Anyway, if you don't like the look of them, you can always hold them up as you drive through.

Yeh that's what i've been doing - holding it up, but I reckon i'll stick it on reluctantly ("Douche'n" it up as they say).

Archived