Some thoughts from a first time Porsche owner

I thought I'd put down some thoughts on my first two weeks with the 987. I'm also going to do it as a bit of a comparison to the Merc I had before.

Firstly both cars were 2005 models too with same amount of km on the clock. Both would have cost similar brand new.  One is 2.7 vs the SLK350

P wonderful engine note and exhaust note. Love reversing it into the garage, it sounds awesome

P steering feels so much more direct

P  car is far more agile

P handles leaps and bounds better than the M

P is tougher looking,  M was prettier

P soft top is a bit noisy but nothing compared to say the old vinyl soft tops that went on MX5s

P is a bit noisy inside and my other half doesn't really like it and this was part of how I ended up with the SLK to begin with. Trying to please someone that wasn't me!

P very comfortable - driving back from Syd was a breeze and I got out at home feeling like I'd been on a 2 hour drive

P build quality is superior to M

P is a manual

P whilst it's a 2.7 and doesn't pull like it's S counterpart, I find that I don't want to speed in the car and dont feel like I need to. In traffic it's very hard to put the car thru it's rev range as you are instantly speeding. These cars love to rev.. thats fun!

P has a great sound system

The Boxster is more car than I am even remotely capable of handling.

M folding hardtop is pure genious

M more of a cruiser, more luxury less pure sports feel

M had way more straight line power

M had heated seats which I miss a bit in the P

M seats not as comfy

M didn't like the tip transmission.. it felt crude and rough to me. Took me ages to get used to it.

In the end I drove about a dozen Porsches I think.  Drove every version of the Boxster bah the 981 because it was way out of my price range. Drove a bunch of 964s, SCs and 993s plus one 996 Cab. At the end of the day the Boxster feels like a real porsche, it sounds like one and the handling is fantastic. The car is loads of fun to drive.  People either ignore it, or they stare at it. I've already had several strangers comment on what a stunning looking car it is. And it is.. its a bloody nice car!

When choosing a Porsche, in the back of my mind I KNEW that whichever way I went I'd probably end up wondering if I should have gone the opposite way.  This was unavoidable I think, given the research I did and my preference for wanting a reliable newish car with working A/C but also loving the iconic Air Cooled 911 look.  Whilst I LOVE the idea of a 911 and my heart will skip a beat every time I see one, I know for now, the Boxster is my perfect car.  At the end of the day I just couldn't pull the trigger, I had too many reservations about a 20 year old car and the fact I can't turn a spanner!  

If Russ ever wants to sell his green sporto Targa - then that would be a different story  :P

I'd love other new  Porsche owners to drop in their thoughts to this thread too.

The Boxster would also be more spacious inside than the SLK wouldnt you say Amanda ?

Actually I'd say they are on a par with one another.  The exterior dimensions of the Boxster are more due to the mid engine layout, which probably gives the illusion that the interior is larger. Another positive for the SLK is that whilst it appears to be a smallish car, it doesn't drive one.  I never felt vulnerable driving beside semi trailer trucks in the SLK.

There's no doubt the SLK is a fabulous car and truth be known, if the one I got wasn't such a pain in the but with intermittent faults we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.  

Good for you Amanda.

I am glad you made the right choice for you.

And thanks for the info Porsche v merc.  :)

Cheers Vas...  someone asked about the comparison in another post, so I figured I'd pop it in here.

Some people won't like the Boxster for it's rawness and others will love it. Depends what floats your boat at the end of the day!

Nice insights..

When you say the P car is more noisy inside, do you mean cabin rattles or engine noise? I loved the engine noise coming into the cabin of the few mid engined porsches ive tried.. boxsters and caymans

This is quite a good comparison.

Having driven both of the cars you have used in this comparison, I can agree with everything you have written.

I did find the 987's gear shift to be a delicate piece and taking note of the wise words I once received

"Soft hands make for rapid progress"

The boxster has the feel of a car that is enjoyable to be driven, its a sports car, there is no denying it.

The SLK is a C class, which is a lovely car, my parents have one and I love it. It is not a sports car.

Neither is the SLK.

Drive an SLK and everything just glides along, its all so smooth and comforting...........then get into some twisties it starts to protest, the brakes go soft and the the gearbox is about 2 seconds behind what you want it to do.

Slow down again and just glide along and all is restored to the tranquil happiness of a C class in drag. The V6 MB motors are terribly thirsty as well.

The 987 I drove was a service team loaner/bitch from the local Porsche dealer. It was well Used.

The interior plastics were scratched, the seats shiny and the car was filthy. It was black.

But. The noise it made was only something that can come from Porsche. The power was adeqaute and delivered in such a way that you didn't feel let down.

Running to the hills revealed a different side. Was it as good as the older watercooled bretheren? The 924/944/968's?

In short, yes. It didn't make you want to push, it just did what it what was expected of it, you were going fast, but in a safe way.

The steering still spoke, the engines still howled but it is and will always be a proper sports car.

The S Models just take it to the next level. ADD LSD and you'll not want for anything else.

So, in conclusion, if yo0u want to look sporty, buy something else. If you want to look sporty and have the option to engage with a genetic dispostion to pure driving enjoyment, get a Boxster. Stock as they come.

Is the Boxster a better handling car than thye 968 CS? No. Is it and advance on the 968? Yes.

I still miss my 968. I will have another.......but the Boxster is the Shizzle.

Nice insights..

When you say the P car is more noisy inside, do you mean cabin rattles or engine noise? I loved the engine noise coming into the cabin of the few mid engined porsches ive tried.. boxsters and caymans

I mean engine noise, its fantastic. The first time I drove it with the roof on I couldn't believe how wonderful the engine sounds. But as a convertible, they are a bit noisier than a coupe - goes with the territory.  You get used to it. It's part of the driving experience. 

Porsches make noise :)  

This is quite a good comparison.

Having driven both of the cars you have used in this comparison, I can agree with everything you have written.

I did find the 987's gear shift to be a delicate piece and taking note of the wise words I once received

"Soft hands make for rapid progress"

The boxster has the feel of a car that is enjoyable to be driven, its a sports car, there is no denying it.

The SLK is a C class, which is a lovely car, my parents have one and I love it. It is not a sports car.

Neither is the SLK.

Drive an SLK and everything just glides along, its all so smooth and comforting...........then get into some twisties it starts to protest, the brakes go soft and the the gearbox is about 2 seconds behind what you want it to do.

Slow down again and just glide along and all is restored to the tranquil happiness of a C class in drag. The V6 MB motors are terribly thirsty as well.

The 987 I drove was a service team loaner/bitch from the local Porsche dealer. It was well Used.

The interior plastics were scratched, the seats shiny and the car was filthy. It was black.

But. The noise it made was only something that can come from Porsche. The power was adeqaute and delivered in such a way that you didn't feel let down.

Running to the hills revealed a different side. Was it as good as the older watercooled bretheren? The 924/944/968's?

In short, yes. It didn't make you want to push, it just did what it what was expected of it, you were going fast, but in a safe way.

The steering still spoke, the engines still howled but it is and will always be a proper sports car.

The S Models just take it to the next level. ADD LSD and you'll not want for anything else.

So, in conclusion, if yo0u want to look sporty, buy something else. If you want to look sporty and have the option to engage with a genetic dispostion to pure driving enjoyment, get a Boxster. Stock as they come.

Is the Boxster a better handling car than thye 968 CS? No. Is it and advance on the 968? Yes.

I still miss my 968. I will have another.......but the Boxster is the Shizzle.

The 968 is misunderstood in Australia it seems.  That was my take from seeing all the US guys raving about their cars.  I did contemplate one but I kinda felt  I might as well buy the 964 if I went that route as far as maintenance goes.

The SLK drank a lot of fuel, agree with you there. The 987 is positively economical in comparison.  

One of my brothers let go a tirade of hateful comments when he saw what I bought.  "hair dressers car"  " buzz box"  "girls car"   etc then asked to go for a drive in it.  He did not go out in the car, I just couldn't be bothered with him.  My Dad did and he made some Tim the toolman ugh ugh noises in it. He loved it.  

Like the SLK some of the soft touch buttons are prone to wear. Nails and jewellery seem to be the biggest wearer outer of them.  My car is pretty clean, only a tiny bit of wear on the PCM and heater control buttons. The greatest wear is the steering wheel, hand brake cover, the lid to the ashtray and drivers seat bolster.  All of which I'll get professionally fixed at some point.  Then I can care for it appropriately to minimise further damage.

Great Topic Amanda.

Here's some thoughts from me, also a new 1st time Porsche owner.

So coming from an Audi 2.0L Turbo A3, I was getting bored with a car that did everything well.

Handled well, Zippy, Beautiful inside but.... just did'nt capture my heart, it was just very... clinical.

Started looking around for an 'older car', a car that has character, yet one that i could live with... Enter the 84' 911 Coupe!

After a month, here's what i like:

• The Flat 6 Air cooled raw engine noise

• The Torque

• No power steering? - dont need it, now have forgotten all about it

• The G15 Gearbox makes me drive with purpose, it rewards silky shifts, and teaches you a lesson when you get lazy 

• Love The Smell of vinyl, carpet and metal - straight away you know your back in the 80s

• Bring smiles to people faces on the roads - not to mention the countless friends who have come out of the wood work and say 'that was my dream car in the 80s!

• The handling is sublime for a 30yr old car, in fact any current car

• The fact that my missus doesn't want to drive it

• The fact that my 4year old loves it (the noisy car she calls it)

• The size, its crazy how much smaller these things are to current cars

• The way it's slightly impracticable (when you have a young family).

Not so great:

• Air ventilation, but hey when you put the windows down you get plenty - and plenty of engine noise

...thats about it.

So from going from modern to an older car,

what i have lost in modern day gadgets and lets face it annoying gadgets, here's what i have gained:

• A car with character

• A car with personality (gear box, things like the speedo dosent work till you hit over 30kph)

• A car which I can never see myself selling...

So i have a car that has captured my heart - exactly what i wanted

So do I regret buying a near 30 year old 911?

Hell no! - Best decision to date.

Good for you 84911C!

I never use all the gadgets in modern cars. Wasted on me really. I do need Bluetooth but only due to work commitments.

The non power steering really isn't an issue hey? Not a huge amount of weight in the front and a tiny amount of motion is all you need really.

Great stuff :)

I have to agree with all that 84911C has said here. Older 911's tend to be cars that reward effort and punish mistakes. It makes you think about how you drive and hopefully it will make you a better driver for it.

I took my sister for a short drive last week and she loved the old leather smell. You just don't get that with a new car full of plastic.

5 years on and I still find any excuse to just get in and drive it. :)

Good for you 84911C!

I never use all the gadgets in modern cars. Wasted on me really. I do need Bluetooth but only due to work commitments.

The non power steering really isn't an issue hey? Not a huge amount of weight in the front and a tiny amount of motion is all you need really.

Great stuff :)

Bluetooth is a waste in an air cooled 911. Too many other sounds. The 911 is surprisingly peaceful- you can't hear the mobile phone. It's a great excuse for not answering and just enjoying some "me time"

Bluetooth is a waste in an air cooled 911. Too many other sounds. The 911 is surprisingly peaceful- you can't hear the mobile phone. It's a great excuse for not answering and just enjoying some "me time"

I don't always have that luxury Harv. I'm on call every second week. Inevitable that I'm driving and need to use phone :(

You have summed it up nicely, "me time" no calls, no distractions, just drive.

What a great comparison Amanda, well written. I have to say if there was one Merc I would/will buy, it an SL500 W129, as I think they are good value at present.

As for an older P car, I just love my SC, and whilst it is a weekend car, It could (with a bit of refreshing) quite easily be a daily driver....thing I have found after a couple of years is people either smile when they see it; or are smiling when they get out of it..!!

New-ish 1st Porsche owner, had the 996 about 10 months.

Almost NEVER have the radio on when driving...just love that engine sound.

Windows down, even if just a bit, and sunroof up or open as much as possible.

Never driven, or even rode in (offers accepted ;) an air-cooled Porsche but imagine the raw engine sound and less insulation to be an aural delight.

Took a 991 for a spin and the in-cabin induction sound is awesome, left me wondering how i can funnel a bit more noise from the 996 in!

Seriously would like a classic 911 project car...

My first Porsche was a 944 - no noise apart from the mechanical orchestra as you neared the rev limiter and the whine of the toothed belt that sounded a bit like a supercharger. But it came fitted with a grin, from ear to ear as you carved up the corners.

Now in the 968 fitted with extra grin-further back on the face from acceleration,I now have a beautiful fister like note from the exhaust.

So its no radio for me,windows down and play that tune through the corners - with the baton attached to the right foot !

Archived