Tyre pressure and Servos

When I did the defensive drivers course. The theory instructor talked about tyre pressures and the reliability of service station electronic and manual gauges.

He went on to say that you should never trust any service station gauge as they give false/inaccurate PSI readings for your tyres. and then recommended buying a pocket guage that looks similar to a pen.

So PFA'ers is this guy speaking poppycock?  And how many of you actually carry around these small gauges?????

Link to the pocket guage below

99094278_TPG1H01.gif

the new electronic devices (where you set the pressure you want on the pump) seem to be fairly reliable

the old ones where the adjustment was in the head/gauge itself had all the issues, mainly because people used to drop them and throw them about

the new electronic devices (where you set the pressure you want on the pump) seem to be fairly reliable

the old ones where the adjustment was in the head/gauge itself had all the issues, mainly because people used to drop them and throw them about

that was my understanding too Russ. What he said tho with the electronic ones is that if the hose develops a leak, servo attend comes along, cuts out the leak bit of the hose and connects it up again. Then the machine isn't re calibrated to cope with the different amount of pressure in the shorter hose =  unreliable electronic pressure!

In other words - you cant trust any of them!

True, the garages vary as RussR says, particularly where the gauge is on the handpiece.  People drop them, run over them, they get full of rain etc.

The pole mounted ones are much better.  Make sure the hose is airtight on the valve though!

I carry a manual gauge around in the glove compartment.  I've had it for ages and it just lives there.  I sometimes use it to check the machine gauge sometimes.

So Amanda, your instructor wasn't talking rubbish.

The instructor was a bit of a plonker... so it was hard to know whether to listen to him or not!  

He drives around all the time with 40PSI in his tyres and keeps his pocket guage in his pocket!  

Yep, the guy is a plonker.

Just because he goes by 'instructor' doesnt mean he knows what he's talking about with tyre's!

Speak to a reputable tyre mob Amanda, or look up what tyres you have fitted with their recommended pressures for commuting, spirited driving or track day's etc etc. Don't listen to people that 'think' they know what theyre talking about, and buy a decent tyre gauge like a Michelin one.

Not cheap, but very accurate

that was my understanding too Russ. What he said tho with the electronic ones is that if the hose develops a leak, servo attend comes along, cuts out the leak bit of the hose and connects it up again. Then the machine isn't re calibrated to cope with the different amount of pressure in the shorter hose =  unreliable electronic pressure!

In other words - you cant trust any of them!

How does a shorter hose at 20PSI have a different pressure to a longer hose at 20PSI?

How does a shorter hose at 20PSI have a different pressure to a longer hose at 20PSI?

Exactly my thoughts James....argument could be expanded to include larger v smaller tyres too.  If there's a larger surface area / capacity, then just put more air in until it's at the desired pressure!

The calibration/reading of your tyre pressure is done via two air pots mounted on the machine's processor pcb. Hose length can vary, the main thing to look for on these electronic tyre inflators is the condition of the hose chuck, if its worn air will escape when you connect it to your tyre valve. I always hold it down with some pressure on the valve for a better seal.These units have been proven to be very reliable as long as the weather seals are intact. I used to install and repair these in my previous job.

Dominic.

Well I drive around everyday with 40psi and a gauge in the glove box, so I am in the "plonker" category also.

I would do plenty of research on why instructors have been saying run 40psi in you tyres for years before passing him off as a crazy.

It seems the new thing on this forum to make disparaging remarks about those that are not on here and have no chance to defend themselves. It started in the Marketplace section and is spreading. Its not against the rules of the forum, but pretty crappy IMO.

I must be a plonker, I run 38-40psi in my outback and I carry a tyre guage in all my cars, check pressures when cold and I don't trust servo's automatic tyre inflators.

Yeah can someone explain this?

I must be a plonker, I run 38-40psi in my outback and I carry a tyre guage in all my cars, check pressures when cold and I don't trust servo's automatic tyre inflators.

Yeah can someone explain this?

No, I can't explain it, 20psi is 20psi. I carry a gauge in my cars & often check the electronic post type gauges & to date have found them to be reliable, can't say the same for the older style "gauge on the end of the hose" type.

Well I drive around everyday with 40psi and a gauge in the glove box, so I am in the "plonker" category also.

I would do plenty of research on why instructors have been saying run 40psi in you tyres for years before passing him off as a crazy.

It seems the new thing on this forum to make disparaging remarks about those that are not on here and have no chance to defend themselves. It started in the Marketplace section and is spreading. Its not against the rules of the forum, but pretty crappy IMO.

Shorter or longer hose in homebrew keg kits means your beer is just foam or has no head.

So my guess would be that a hose of 5m vs 10m hose on a machine delivering 20psi at the head would give 20psi for longer on a 5m hose than a 10m hose.

All I know is

MjAxMy0xYjA3MGI5YTAyMDJlNmU1.png

Vas, I'm pretty sure "plonkerdom" was conferred because the individual carries his pressure gauge in his top pocket, not because he owns one.

This is doubly true if he kept it in a pocket protector.

A plonker (who may or not be a driving instuctor), yesterday

full.jpg

I paid an extra $32 to get nitrogen in all my tyres(for life) and so never use servos. I just get the guys to check it every few months and run them at 35 Psi. Might try 40 Psi and see what it feels like in comparison. Nice thing about nitrogen is it doesn't change pressure due to heat(of tyre)and as molecules are larger it maintains pressure for much longer

I keep it simple, I use the same nearby servo that has a reliable outlet and cross-check every now and again with own gauge.

1-2 psi (cold) will not make a huge difference.

The calibration/reading of your tyre pressure is done via two air pots mounted on the machine's processor pcb. Hose length can vary, the main thing to look for on these electronic tyre inflators is the condition of the hose chuck, if its worn air will escape when you connect it to your tyre valve. I always hold it down with some pressure on the valve for a better seal.These units have been proven to be very reliable as long as the weather seals are intact. I used to install and repair these in my previous job.Dominic.

Good to know, thanks Dominic!

I would do plenty of research on why instructors have been saying run 40psi in you tyres for years before passing him off as a crazy.

My calling him a plonker had more to do with his poor people skills, his need to put down students in the class and his general poor attitude. I wasn't clear in that when I referred to him as I did. Him being a plonker wasn't related to PSI he uses or the pocket thingy, it was his attitude. In hindsight I didn't word my post very well. I expect more when being trained regardless of the field it is in. Also, if one is going to put themselves in a role like a Driving Instructor, then they should be prepared to be criticised. I made a complaint to the company that has been ignored.

As you can appreciate, when you spend a day with a so called professional and find they have behaved less than a professional should, most of what comes out of their mouths is that bit harder to believe. This is why I asked the question.

Archived