Hybrid.....who really has experienced it?

Hey all.

Ive just got back from a few days in Sydney and was driving my father's new Lexus GS450h around town and thought I'd pass a comment.

My overall impression of the car is just plain WOW! Beautiful design, awesome quality.... but then again, for a big luxury car these days you wouldnt expect anything less.

However, having really only driven a Prius as sole prior experience of Hybrid I was really blown away by the refinement, power and efficiency of the bigger TMC powerplant. This Hybrid caper has really moved ahead significantly in the past 5 years. The fact that this particular car is as big as a BMW 5 series and delivers 8.5l/100km is astonishing. Puddle around in traffic and the serial hybrid just runs silently on Ev mode....poke it and the power is massive.

So it got me thinking, all the stigma around hybrids is not really justified any more. Most people have never driven one for any significant experienceand in my opinion they are the best kept secrets around. NVH is far superior to any diesel on the market and the seemless transition from EV to combined power is truely impressive.

Has anyone else had experiences of them? Doing some research showed me that all other manufacturers only used an "assisted" parrallel hybrid system but the Toyota/ Lexus technology is way past that.

Since I'm moving home early next year I've just placed an order for a new IS300h for my wife. Great way to compensate for the terrible consumption and emissions of the Targa.

Dont think I've everbeen more impressed with a car in my life.

Hi Hounddub,

I investigated hybrids extensively when I was looking to purchase my new daily/company car. I was only after a small car so looked at the Prius & Insight as well as a number of diesels (golf, mini etc.). I ended up settling on a Fiat 500 twin air and although petrol its fuel consumption was lower than the hybrids and it also had less CO/2 emissions. Granted it is a smaller car than most but it impressed me greatly and 1+ year on it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

Its a 0.9L 2 cylinder turbo, averaging around 3.2L per 100klm - that's not necessarily driving economically either. I found it to be unrivalled in terms of efficiency, driving dynamics and price. Ideally the price point of most of the hybrids is still quite up there (especially the Prius being the most popular), hopefully as they grow in popularity they will become more attractive to the majority as I tend to agree that most people see them as a gimmick at the moment.

Congrats on the new purchase, Lexus do make a beautiful car.

Lexus do make a beautiful car.

Agree. I got to drive the new is350 F sport and everything from how it drove to fit and finish was very impressive. Some exterior styling queues i would do without, but none the less, impressive car  

Hugh, if family size wasnt an issue Id look at the twin air too, frankly I've become quite captivated by the latest technology in efficient daily drivers. Nice choice of car.

I completely understand, my 'family car' is not very efficient unfortunately due to the size required for 3 kids seats under 4 across the back row. Fortunately it is not used daily and the Fiat is the 'shuttle' leaving the 'mother ship' for weekend family outings etc.

Looking forward to the kids moving into more compact seats and moving back to a mid size car - much better options within that size market. It is an interesting time with more car manufacturers offering a larger range of efficient cars, most now at least offering diesel variants also.

I've driven a Camry Hybrid - I didn't really see the extra value

I'd be interested to drive a real electric car like the leaf though (or that new AMG SLS Electric)

the new Camry Hybrid is becoming the "hybrid for the masses"... and Toyota are providing it with 0% finance too.

The first gen camry hybrid was "ok".

The current gen camry hybrid is pretty amazing. The torque is sensational off the line.

Prius, Prius C, and Prius V are all filling different niches but the Camry was designed to look like a normal car and to have the space of a normal car.

Yes, I do work for a Toyota dealership and you are all welcome to come and try them out just to see what they are like!

mike

Have driven the new hybrid camry and it isn't tooo bad at all.. not a car for me though. Though when we were looking at smaller cars we drove a CT200H and with the CVT, I just didn't like that car at all, I couldn't get used to it.

I have driven a Prius & have a Camry Hybrid as a company car for one of my managers. The Camry while being bland is actually not bad to drive, very quiet (der) & for us very efficient, it does about 1000klms a week so in terms of fuel its a value proposition. Not sure im convinced from an ecological fotprint point of view given the carbon required to produce the batteries. I have 6 diesels as well & provided you do enough klmns (more than 40,000 p.a.) i think the diesel is better value. 

Les than 30,000klms p.a. 7 IMHO you're better off with a fuel efficient petrol.

I was lucky enough to be given a Nissan Leaf last year for three months as part of the Victorian Govt. Electric Car Trial..

Apart from looking like a constipated frog it was a cracking little car.

The torque is great and it doesn't stop until it winds out to max speed.

The range is supposed to be about 160 kms (maybe in the vacuum of space)  but i consistently got about 100 kms from it and I drove it hard.  (Hey it was a loaner)

It was roomy enough for four easy and we had five at times with no real problems.

My first thought was "it'll be a great 2nd car"  but in reality is its your first car and if you want to do a SMT we all know what you need.

I never went to a petrol station for 3 months.  The car would charge overnight and be good to go when you wake up in the morning.

Cost for a full charge (100 kms for me probably 130 for others) was $2.50 - not hard to live with...

that's $25 per 1,000 k's

Noyce.

If you ever get the chance take one for a spin.  

Just my 2 cents worth

They claim the batteries to be about 10k and at the end of 8 years they would produce 80% of their original performance.

So in 8 years time I would only be getting 80 Kms range from the batteries.

But

Like hard drives for computers, battery technolgy is changing rapidly, they are currently talking doubling the capacity and halving the price every 2 years, soon

In 8 years you'd get a batter tha would give you $400kms range for $2500 !

Are they very quiet? I'll be in the special discount demographic before too long so will need to be on the lookout for these cars wafting through the streets.

I'm glad there are some people saving fuel. (don't mention the smelting!)

I'm growing trees to offset my noisy indulgence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9688619/Plan-to-tackle-silent-killer-electric-cars.html

Transport Minister Norman Baker said: “I recognise that there are genuine concerns about quiet vehicles and we need to make sure that electric vehicles do not pose any additional threat to pedestrians.

“We are proactively involved in work at a European level that will allow manufacturers to fit sound systems to electric and hybrid vehicles to aid blind people and other road users. We are supportive of the non-mandatory introduction of these added sound systems, particularly for vehicles that travel at less than 20mph. This is when they are quietest and potentially pose the greater danger.”

lol imagine a Prius with Aventador soundtrack! Choose your sound bling carefully!

I'm sorry, I know I'll probably get flamed for my opinion, but I just don't 'get' electric cars.

Yeah, theyre great for the environment, the people that dream them up and build them are genius's,good for them, but honestly, how long can you drive one for without having to charge them up?

Recently on Top Gear, they had an electric bubble car that topped out at 30 miles or something. Ok if you live in the city and don't drive much

I only saw a 912 that had the electric treatment yesterday on Youtube and it has absolutely no soul whatsoever. And WHY do it to a classic car like a 912? Why not some ugly piece of junk that was built 5 years ago?

If I saw the thing up close, I'd rag on him for ruining a classic car for sure. Not just a Porsche, but anything that has some sort of collectible value.

I also watched a show ages ago with the Chili Peppers singer, Anthony Koudis having an electric motor installed into a beautiful Camaro. WTF?

Just because you can, doesnt mean you should!

I'm sure 'eventually' fossil fuel's will be depleted to a point, but as an industrial chemist mate of mine told me years ago, 'We don't know half of what is being developed with fuel technology'.

I'd rather walk than drive any kind of electric car

Hey Lee

I agree with most of what you've written. My understanding is that electric vehicles are not actually very environmentally friendly at all.

The components and where they come from are a problem for starters but the next of course is that as long as the power for it comes from the wall socket your not really being friendly at all

I believe it would be better for the environment to keep your old V8 on the road for ever than to ditch it and have a Prius built for you

I'm not suggesting its the way of the future, merely they are an interesting piece of kit with some redeeming features.

If you get a chance to drive one have a go.

The components and where they come from are a problem for starters but the next of course is that as long as the power for it comes from the wall socket your not really being friendly at all

Correctamundo!

That was the part I forgot to include in my dribble. One still requires a power point to charge it that is supplied by either fossil fuels or Hydro plants

I've seen Anthony Koudis' car light them up off the line with gobs of power, but it still doesnt convince me that electric cars are the way of the future.

Even the Hybrids in Le Mans are a waste of time personally. I am told by Mr Industrial Chemist that sometimes car makers are 'required' to either produce or investigate it's feasibility in public

Can you imagine going to a car show in said 912 and telling people you just put a bigger Flux Capacitor in it for an extra 50hp!

I'd laugh in your face!

So would Doc Brown or Marty Mcfly!

No offence to anyone that believes in electricly powered vehicles, it's just my rant

Archived