Dan Ricciardo confirmed for RBR seat.

Uncle

Awesome news for the young west aussie. I think he will fit the team well. As much as I dislike Seb I do think Dan is a much better match to him as a team mate than Mark was. It will do Dan no harm to be the "number 2 driver" for a year or so then still be young enough to step up to number one when Seb moves on.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/red-bull-confirm-aussie-f1-driver-daniel-ricciardo-as-replacement-for-mark-webber/story-e6frfkp9-1226709430440

I just wish that people, particularly TV interviewers / announcers, would acknowledge the second "i" in his surname.  I am so sick of hearing him call "Riccardo".

Great opportunity for him though.

Yep so glad he got the drive, 

With Helmet Marko's dislike of Webber I feared another Australian driver may have to fight an uphill battle to get past him.

Apparently not the case, let's hope he can make a success of it.

Dave

I just wish that people, particularly TV interviewers / announcers, would acknowledge the second "i" in his surname. I am so sick of hearing him call "Riccardo".

Great opportunity for him though.

Apparently the family prenounces their name without the second i. This was covered by the Greg Rust after heaps of people raised it with them.

Apparently the family prenounces their name without the second i. This was covered by the Greg Rust after heaps of people raised it with them.

Oh...okay then.  I am corrected.  Thank goodness for that, it was bugging me.  I can stop yelling at the TV now!

AGREED!

Awesome news that we've got a "skip" in there taking the fight to those pent-up Europeans!

It brought me back to our current F1 skip...  apparently he has always held himself above the pettiness and politicing, and is revered for his cool head and gentlemanly disposition. Isn't he currently the delegate for the "drivers association"? Maybe I'm just remembering the press release, but there has to be some truth to his calibre!

Plus he somersaulted 2 Le Man cars, plus, he is over six foot in a field of midgets (go the tall drivers), plus, he's got a gig at PORSCHE now...

I hope I get to like Ricciardo as much...

Kerry

Silent "I" Dave, it was bugging me too until I saw this Greg Rust thing. 

Very happy for Ricciardo.  I'll admit I'm a little nervous for his first season next year.  It's likely Vettel will crush him initially so I hope that doesn't dent his confidence.  Based on the interviews I've watched/read it sounds like they're grooming Ricciardo to become Vettel's successor.  If he can stick it out then he has a good shot at a title in the next few years.

We might have two Aussies carving up the track soon (one in a Porsche no less)!  :D

I think he will be fine. You only have to look at how he delt with the Grosjean thing at Monaco to see he has a level head but won't take any crap.

Everyone expects Seb to be the #1 driver so anytime Dan can step up and do well is a bonus.

I am a massive Kimi fan but I don't think that seat was ever going to work for him. Kimi is only there to drive. He has no interest in media or being made to tow the team line in not ever saying anything bad etc. I just couldn't see it working myself. Lotus have more or less said he can do what he likes so long as he scores points.

Again at Monarco when asked about his thoughts on Perez running into him all he said was "That guy needs a punch in the face". I can't see RBR letting him say that kind of stuff.

While there is talk of Kimi going back to Ferrari they have said a number of times they do not want two alfa drivers in the team. Massa has underperformed of late but he suits their needs and can seal points from RBR now and again. It's clearly not about the money for Kimi it's about being able to win races.

Although in saying all of that after James Allison moved from Lotus to Ferrari who knows Kimi might jump off what could be the lotus sinking ship. They are only keeping Romain on as he as great big bag of money and they need it badly. It's no secret they have had to pay Kimi late a few times as they just didn't have the cash.

I bet Helmut just loved the fact Mark spilt the beans about Ricciardo at Spa before they officially announced it. One last f@$k you before he leaves. I think Daniel will do great things in a good car, and seeing how he also came up through the RB young drivers program he should be getting much more out of it than Mark ever did (the team that is).

Great couple of quotes from Mark Webber last night when being interviewed after qualifying.

"When Porsche are calling.....you pick up the phone!"

&

"I'd rather have a Porsche in the driveway than a Ferrari"

Great couple of quotes from Mark Webber last night when being interviewed after qualifying.

"When Porsche are calling.....you pick up the phone!"

&

"I'd rather have a Porsche in the driveway than a Ferrari"

I could not help but smile, all said so casually.

The fact Dan has been qualifying that high in a Torro roso, I think that he has every chance of getting poles and wins from day 1. A lot of ppl said I was wrong, when last year I said Marc Marquez would be the next Moto GP world champ, and they have now mostly changed their tune, so I have no doubt ppl will also think Dan cannot be a contender for the title from day one, and that it is not going to happen but IMO he won't be playing 2nd fiddle to anyone and will take it to Vettel from the get go. I backed Marc last year for world title, as soon as markets opened and will be doing the same for Dan. Probably wrong but if I'm not, you heard it here first ;)

He has certainly learnt how to make the Torro Roso as wide as possible this year, which won't hurt his chances with an RBR under him. Lets just hope he doesn't have to give up the latest front wing, when Seb breaks his, like happened to Mark, or any other number 2 driver rubbish. In the same car, I think ppl will be surprised and I'm sure like most drivers he is there to win, not play second fiddle. Only time will tell

Thought I'd post it here instead of a new thread

It sounds as if Kimi Raikonen will be heading to Ferrari

Not confirmed from either parties, but sounds promising for 2014 if he's to partner Alonso if he hangs around

Archived