Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

There is nothing to tell really. I've got Jim looking at Martins 911/30 for me on Monday. Problem is he flies out to Europe on Thursday. So even if I did want to buy it I'm not sure how I could pick it up..

what's with this defeatist attitude?! I'm sure with the power of PFA we could make it work

I've spent the weekend not buying that 928....

you and me both, I measured out my garage and it'd fit. I'm just a bit worried about the 'explodey-ness' and the point you made once where you can pay the upkeep of a 911 and not have a 911 (no offence to the other 928 owners out there)

I can see the potential in it though - get away from LPG and put a good computer in with 440+ injectors and it'd be powerful enough and still not stressed to capacity

The only "above and beyond" upkeep of the 928 (& 944/968) is the water pump and timing belt , which can go 5-6 years. Like any other water cooled car. Don't believe the myths that are always bandied around by the air cooled crowd, these sharks are tough as nails.

But like any bad 911 , get a neglected one and you pay the price.

It’s time that’s the problem. I fly to Melbourne Tuesday at 6am to help with a safety investigation for a couple of hours then a training course. Wednesday old mate arrives to pick up Gemballa whilst I am in Melbourne finishing training. So even if I finish training on Wednesday go to a bank and EFT the cash he still won’t have it cleared into his account before he leaves for O.S.

I can look at changing my flight back from Melb to Canberra but even then I’d be giving him an bank cheque and not cash.  

Oh and we have to agree on price before we all get too trigger happy.

The only "above and beyond" upkeep of the 928 (& 944/968) is the water pump and timing belt , which can go 5-6 years. Like any other water cooled car. Don't believe the myths that are always bandied around by the air cooled crowd, these sharks are tough as nails.

But like any bad 911 , get a neglected one and you pay the price.

this one has twin turbos and an LPG system currently... (so I wasn't trying to put down regular 928 reliability, just might what happen when you do a twin turbo system on them)

005.JPG

yeah for 5k you're really buying a base for changes to be made. The body is in pretty good nick from the pictures I've seen

I think with $5-10k and lots of weekend work you could turn it into a comfortable, fast and reliable street car

I can imagine the looks you'd get at a gymkhana from everyone else in their short wheelbase home built Toyota engine specials, and you show up in a land yacht lol

So have you bought it yet then?

Unless you found another Porvette owner you'd be in a sort of no man's land.

Build a stroker or supercharged 928 however and everybody loves Raymond.

Lots of interesting comparison threads ; here's one to start with.

One of the best aspects of the 928 is the handling. You don't need more power to go much faster than a  911 through corners. Just bigger gentleman's bits.

If you want an attention seeking dragster , buy an old Roller like the one Brain Johnson had a go in  Or go the Armageddon route with NOS!

As if I haven't read every single argument for and against this type of conversion over the years. My blood pressure doesn't go up 1 mm , but it's enormous fun poking the stick at the bears  ;)

I agree it's a cheap solution to a rebuild of an expensive type of engine. Like putting Casio workings in the body of a Rolex. If you can live with it , go for it!