Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Thanks!

The owner is a member of pcnsw. Was wondering if any of you came across the car in the last few years at club gatherings (?).

I'm getting autohaus to check it out for me this week, so will see what they find.

I know nothing of the car however it appears to be a prime candidate if you're in the market for a late 964 Model.

The car will have had the updated cylinder to case seals, updated distributor and the attractive cup style mirrors.

Items to look for is the expensive and complicated 4WD system as if there is any failure it is expensive to repair due to the sensors and that its the same system found on the 959 Supercar.

Good colour combination (to my eyes). The wheels are not original and I'd be getting some Cup 1's straight away to give it that RS look.

Pricing is about right and I'd suspect that after a full PPI there would be some wiggle room to obtain this lovely car.

why does that look too cheap at 28k?

i love the fact its an auto,  ideal as a second P car in the garage me reackons

From what I know it has a few things going against it - Sporto and Targa being the main points. Also the 2.7l is often disliked due to head stud issues ( I think that's right but I'm sure someone will help me out with this bit) and other engine problems early on.

I like these cars, love the retro coolness of them. It needs original seats with plaid inserts! The cookie cutters and steel colored Targa bar make it perfect in my opinion! Then the Sporto, aye carrumba! It's just cool!

From what I know it has a few things going against it - Sporto and Targa being the main points. Also the 2.7l is often disliked due to head stud issues ( I think that's right but I'm sure someone will help me out with this bit) and other engine problems early on.

I like these cars, love the retro coolness of them. It needs original seats with plaid inserts! The cookie cutters and steel colored Targa bar make it perfect in my opinion! Then the Sporto, aye carrumba! It's just cool!

Cool enough to sell the boxster and get in the retro goodness? ;)

When she says "it needs original seats with plaid inserts" you can witness Amanda's caring & nurturing hemisphere . I give the Boxster another 12 months,  then it's time to decorate the parlour  :) After 12 months , old 911s become unaffordable.

When she says "it needs original seats with plaid inserts" you can witness Amanda's caring & nurturing hemisphere . I give the Boxster another 12 months,  then it's time to decorate the parlour  :) After 12 months , old 911s become unaffordable.

I'm in massive mixed minds about this - just like I was prior to buying my 987.  I've had my car 6 months now and I have put not even 4000km on it in that time.. mind you nearly 2k of those were getting it home from Syd and the GOR!  So I don't drive it much at all. With what I know now, maybe I would have had something older in the Garage BUT geez it's a hell of a hassle for me to trade out the Boxster now. 

I love my 987 - I think those that drive it will agree that I did pick up a lovely example. It's a tight car, it's been well cared for by its previous owners hence the 51,000 km on it since 2005.  If I went to a 1975+ 911 I'd be giving up a lot of mod cons - mainly safety features like the ABS etc  I'm not sure that is for me.  I've also just dropped $3500 on the IMS Solution.. money I'd say would be hard for me to get back if selling it privately now.

I love the romantic notion of owning one of these retro 911s in the 2.7 variety - but it's not for me now. Never say never tho :)

Anyone up for a good looking 1989 928?

a shade under 10, with reciepts for all the 'majors' including gearbox. Shit, at this price i am thinking about it! One this weekend from the PCNSW was bloody flying... they aint no slouch.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sawtell/cars-vans-utes/rare-1979-porsche-928-v8-super-car/1028787536

a shade under 10, with reciepts for all the 'majors' including gearbox. Shit, at this price i am thinking about it! One this weekend from the PCNSW was bloody flying... they aint no slouch.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sawtell/cars-vans-utes/rare-1979-porsche-928-v8-super-car/1028787536

You wont regret it, the early 928's were way ahead of their time. Remember that for little up front, your ongoing annual running costs will be about 25% of the purchase price rising to 50% if its a daily driver. Magnificent cars though and totally under valued IMHO.

I have a penchant for the final 928 GTS however they are 993 money so 993 wins.

I got $300 for mine with 50% tyres, for a set of 4 - and the rears were wider than the fronts..

why does that look too cheap at 28k?

i love the fact its an auto,  ideal as a second P car in the garage me reackons

I'd say that's right on the money - or a shade too expensive for what it is

2.7's pull head studs, the magnesium cases become porous over time. and sportomatic is a 'different' driving experience for most people until you're used to it. but do it! (the gears are also very tall, so everyone that says you can drive it like an automatic is in for a surprise - if you drive round in D2 people on pushbikes will beat you off the lights)

oh, and over time targa's get enough body flex to almost put your hand between the roof and targa bar (in really bad cases)

and 'upgraded fan' is weird - I thought the standard Australian delivered 2.7 was 11 blade fan?

and no tartan seats! sacrilege! (although those 996 seats are bolt in I'm pretty sure) and theres something I don't like about that mixture of chrome and impact bumpers - the later cars have body coloured headlight surrounds, black anodised door handles, black windscreen surrounds and black targa bar)

I'm in massive mixed minds about this - just like I was prior to buying my 987.  I've had my car 6 months now and I have put not even 4000km on it in that time.. mind you nearly 2k of those were getting it home from Syd and the GOR!  So I don't drive it much at all. With what I know now, maybe I would have had something older in the Garage BUT geez it's a hell of a hassle for me to trade out the Boxster now. 

I love my 987 - I think those that drive it will agree that I did pick up a lovely example. It's a tight car, it's been well cared for by its previous owners hence the 51,000 km on it since 2005.  If I went to a 1975+ 911 I'd be giving up a lot of mod cons - mainly safety features like the ABS etc  I'm not sure that is for me.  I've also just dropped $3500 on the IMS Solution.. money I'd say would be hard for me to get back if selling it privately now.

I love the romantic notion of owning one of these retro 911s in the 2.7 variety - but it's not for me now. Never say never tho :)

it's time! trade the boxster for something old - the benefit being the old stuff won't depreciate

there's always something suspect about a car that's 'just been washed' wet in photos for a car ad

My rationale is that they are there for function and not form. Some would argue that they do have a function, however that function is only apparent at speeds exceeding 150km/h. So, for sports purposes cars, yes by all means.

I have been contemplating finding a decklid with no spoiler as i do like the look sans spoiler.

I did however come across this graph, looks like the effects are still apparent at lower speeds with spoiler

spoiler_graph1109675532.jpg

!B8)eSRQBmk~$(KGrHqIOKjgEzIRR+eYbBM4!83c

Actually.. the headrest looks a bit dodgy on that seat!

One thing I do find interesting, is that many of these '74 - '77 seem to be the Targa and Sporto combination. Don't see too many manual Coupes for example. Why is that? Have the Coupes been converted to the manual gearboxes or was the Targa targeted at a different market ie women perhaps?  

there really aren't that many sportomatic cars in Australia compared to manuals - I think they change hands a lot more often (I think in '77 for example there was 5 or 6 out of 47 cars imported into Australia and they were a combination of Targa/Coupe's)

lots of Targas and Coupes have been converted to manual, but on saying that a few Targas have been converted to cabriolets too.

and if anything sportomatic was targeted at women for the north American market

(I think in '77 for example there was 5 or 6 out of 47 cars imported into Australia and they were a combination of Targa/Coupe's)

Just out of curiosity does anyone have the figures for cars imported into Australia, say 65-->95 or something like that.

I would be interested to see boom/bust years.....I think I have the pre 70's numbers at home, but not a definitive list.

I have been contemplating finding a decklid with no spoiler as i do like the look sans spoiler.

I did however come across this graph, looks like the effects are still apparent at lower speeds with spoiler

spoiler_graph1109675532.jpg

Interesting, although it only seems to use turbo. 3.3 Turbo and Ducktail for graph reference. Clearly the benefit comes on strongly at around 90mph.

I am thinking that the turbo graph line is the original 930 3.0 and as such similar to the later SC and Carrera Tails(no up turned lip, like found on the 3.3 Turbo)

In reality, I have only ever wound mine out to and indicated 255Km/h once and maybe on 4 other occasions exceeded 200 Km/h, where safe to do so.

I didn't find the car unstable or the steering go light, however cross winds and different conditions would effect the cars stability.

I just like no spoilers!!! I look at the car more than I drive it over 160 Km/h so its a compromise I accept.

Thanks for the graph, its very useful!

all I know in '77 was 47 cars. (I think, lol now i'm going to have to check when I get home) maybe Porsche Australia would have records?

I think they would have.  I got all kinds of stats on that 964 C4 Cab I nearly bought.. things like it was the very last 964 bought into Aus before the 993 came out, it was only of only 17 bought into Aus in 1994 etc   I think they'd have all the stats :)

One thing I do find interesting, is that many of these '74 - '77 seem to be the Targa and Sporto combination. Don't see too many manual Coupes for example. Why is that? Have the Coupes been converted to the manual gearboxes or was the Targa targeted at a different market ie women perhaps?  

This is very similar to 993 and less so with 964's. Extremely similar to 996/997.

Many cars are cab tips.

or just Tips.

This is why manual coupes from all generations pull more money, supply vs demand.

I don't think that a Sporto car that's been converted to a manual is worth any less than a Manual from factory car either.

I am going to do the Blue and green tartan inserts in my Carrera 3.0, so it will be uber 70's. I have decided to keep it as it makes me smile too much.

I am going to do the Blue and green tartan inserts in my Carrera 3.0, so it will be uber 70's. I have decided to keep it as it makes me smile too much.

Good enough for Peter Gregg and good enough for me too! (Don't do the matching door cards thing)DSCN26691274197746.jpg