Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

Except they want $100K for it. They may get there one day, but on no planet around here are 308 GT4's worth anything like that kind of money. Shame they painted the chrome work too, that just doesn't work at all. 

The running costs are out of this world. 

what is the going money for a 308gt4?  

The commercial issue may be that Autohaus are competative traders in the same market as CTS. 

Cavaco and others don't don't trade in cars.

I think that is the 'excuse' yes. Just bad history of autohaus being honest and CTS not liking too much honesty me thinks. Having had personal experience of buying a car from a Melbourne dealer who had everything 'checked out and sorted' only to have to spend $12k three days after getting the car to Sydney, makes me more cautious. Someone's experience you trust is gold when buying these old cars. A ppi can be a quick touch under the hood or a detailed review. I know which one I would prefer.

If you have good eyesight and 4 limbs , and are prepared to do your own due diligence with respect to the various models , and can read service records , you can pretty much cover everything in your own PPI.

But if your wallet's fat and the missus don't mind , you can let 'em at it :D Nothing to lose!

If you have good eyesight and 4 limbs , and are prepared to do your own due diligence with respect to the various models , and can read service records , you can pretty much cover everything in your own PPI.

But if your wallet's fat and the missus don't mind , you can let 'em at it :D Nothing to lose!

except for broken head studs, fuel injection issues and other assorted gremlins.  I think a PPI on a turbo is a good investment.

except for broken head studs, fuel injection issues and other assorted gremlins.  I think a PPI on a turbo is a good investment.

Well if they let you pull the valve covers off and go for a test drive , starting with a  cold engine...all will be revealed. Well nearly all. It's always fun discovering stuff later on, but the big money stuff is easily found prior if you do the due diligence.

I'm very familiar with 308 GT4's and have sold a good clean example that is Aussie delivered with books and some history for $115,000 only 2 months ago...

the neglected, import non book cars etc thy need 60-80k spent on them get $60-75k.

one just sold at the RM auctions for the equiv of $122k Aussie which doesn't include shipping the car here and paying taxes. 

Spannerhead, I'll welcome your 72 into my stable for $90k ☺️

I think that is the 'excuse' yes. Just bad history of autohaus being honest and CTS not liking too much honesty me thinks. Having had personal experience of buying a car from a Melbourne dealer who had everything 'checked out and sorted' only to have to spend $12k three days after getting the car to Sydney, makes me more cautious. Someone's experience you trust is gold when buying these old cars. A ppi can be a quick touch under the hood or a detailed review. I know which one I would prefer.

I get your point about CTS ;and agree with the trust point; however I've been to both Autohaus and Cavaco and if it's aircooled and original ,there wouldn' t be any difference in their detailed knowledge.

just saying in this case, cheers

I get your point about CTS ;and agree with the trust point; however I've been to both Autohaus and Cavaco and if it's aircooled and original ,there wouldn' t be any difference in their detailed knowledge.

just saying in this case, cheers

all good - I have heard Cavaco is a great shop, although completely different scale of operation. Will be very interesting when Autohaus moves to Chatswood. Will be harder for CTS to resist clients requests then. Although not moving their showroom apparently 

AH are also known to be picky about who they will/will not want to have a PPI done on a car they have to sell.  Even if it is another well respected independant sydney Porsche mechanics.

My 2.0 cents.

Edited by D-banger

AH are also known to be picky about who they will/will not want to have a PPI done on a car they have to sell.  

I'm glad someone finally called this out. My friend was looking to purchase through AH about 9 mths ago and was told he couldn't take the car to another certain well respected Porsche shop in Syd.

Edited by Blue964

I'm glad someone finally called this out. My friend was looking to purchase through AH about 9 mths ago and was told he couldn't take the car to another certain Porsche shop for a PPI.

everyone playing their own games :) Competitive market. PPI's must be good business. Charge $500 to stick it on a hoist and than hand over a list of things to do for $10k that 'have to be done' in order to drive the car safely ;)

Edited by turboT

Agreed!  Looks good in the dark, but if you want to attract a buyer, take a little trouble.  I thought the seats didn't look right, and the text says they're 911 ones.  That's a shame, as the 928 ones are quite special and you'd really want to source some originals (and sell the 911 ones!)

I'm glad someone finally called this out. My friend was looking to purchase through AH about 9 mths ago and was told he couldn't take the car to another certain well respected Porsche shop in Syd.

AH essentially check and certify all their cars though, right?

CTS ets don't have their own Porsche workshop, that is the difference.  I'd buy from AH with no PPI knowing that if something serious came up they have a workshop to deal with it.   

CTS ets don't have their own Porsche workshop, that is the difference.  I'd buy from AH with no PPI knowing that if something serious came up they have a workshop to deal with it.   

there's a massive conflict of interest with a seller doing their own PPI

Edited by Blue964

good point. AH won't sell cars they don't think pass their standards. I.e. No barn finds ;) 

there's a massive conflict of interest with a seller doing their own PPI

True but these guys only do Porsche and they stake their reputation on every car sold.  I actually think their own inspections would be more thorough than your average PPI because unlike a normal PPI you do have a comeback on it.  

Things would happen, for sure.  I've only ever enquired about cars there and never bought one - they do charge a premium and that's the price you pay for getting a higher level of warm and fuzzies when you buy. 

didnt the dealer in Melbourne tell you you're 964 was in great shape with nothing to spend?

That was his Turbo and it was in Adelaide as I recall.  But I don't think there was a PPI.