Whats for sale (in Australia ) and interesting Thread

1977 Carrera 3.o. Hong Kong import.http://www.brooklandscc.com/cars/view/10

Another 3.0 but this time an Australia delivered Targa Sporto. More photo's would really help the sale.http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/CG_2654171/used-1976-PORSCHE-911-CARRERA-3.0--Manual--Convertible-in-.html

That Aussie targa was owned by the same bloke who had a 912 that had an update body and a 2.7 that I looked at a while ago out Werribee way, ended up offloading both cars for a ridiculously low price... New owner has a lot of fat in the price, good luck to him I say if he can get it...

Similar looking to mine. What's do these weigh?

1977 Carrera 3.o. Hong Kong import.

http://www.brooklandscc.com/cars/view/10

Another 3.0 but this time an Australia delivered Targa Sporto. More photo's would really help the sale.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/CG_2654171/used-1976-PORSCHE-911-CARRERA-3.0--Manual--Convertible-in-.html

That Aussie targa was owned by the same bloke who had a 912 that had an update body and a 2.7 that I looked at a while ago out Werribee way, ended up offloading both cars for a ridiculously low price... New owner has a lot of fat in the price, good luck to him I say if he can get it...

Thought I had seen that silver Targa before, from memory it was originally listed at a much lower price.

As much as I shouldn't... I might send my mate down to have a bid on that for me... It might just go for a song!

I must be an idiot... I've called the auction house got a few more details and organised my best mate to go down tomorrow morning inspect it and see what we can do come hammer time. 

:ph34r:

I must be an idiot... I've called the auction house got a few more details and organised my best mate to go down tomorrow morning inspect it and see what we can do come hammer time. 

:ph34r:

Keep us informed, Edgy.   Be interested in what your mate thinks. :mellow:   

You can also bid on line I think.  

I know I am probably going to kick myself when it gets sold for bugger all. :(     

I mentioned it to my wife yesterday and she without hesitation told me I don't need it. :unsure:  

Keep us informed, Edgy. Be interested in what your mate thinks. :mellow:

You can also bid on line I think.

I know I am probably going to kick myself when it gets sold for bugger all. :(

I mentioned it to my wife yesterday and she without hesitation told me I don't need it. :unsure:

Will do!

Yeah my mate said to me about the online bidding.... But then I would be buying blind, my best mate is the best mechanic i know so he will make a fair assessment prior and let me know what he thinks... We will set a ceiling price off that, or ill just walk away from it... But sight unseen isn't an option.... They told me they don't start and run the salvage cars due to oh&s so one would have to consider worse case scenario and buy accordingly I think! But I guess you never know on the day...

PS if anyone has opinions about fair value for such a 914 I'd be interested to hear... I'm aware that decent RHD ones have sold for around $12K in recent times. So I got some ideas about what I'll happily pay for this one... And that number isn't that high.

Will do!

Yeah my mate said to me about the online bidding.... But then I would be buying blind, my best mate is the best mechanic i know so he will make a fair assessment prior and let me know what he thinks... We will set a ceiling price off that, or ill just walk away from it... But sight unseen isn't an option.... They told me they don't start and run the salvage cars due to oh&s so one would have to consider worse case scenario and buy accordingly I think! But I guess you never know on the day...

PS if anyone has opinions about fair value for such a 914 I'd be interested to hear... I'm aware that decent RHD ones have sold for around $12K in recent times. So I got some ideas about what I'll happily pay for this one... And that number isn't that high.

In the days that i used to buy salvage (repairable) the general rule of thumb i used was this:

• What would the car sell for ? (based on every day of the week not 6 months on car sales) say $10000 

• What would it cost me to repair?(i would be looking at a parts cost as i would repair myself) say $7000 Maximum.

• So to buy the car including any towing,auction fees etc my total cost including the price of the car should not exceed $3000, so if you were to bid and win the auction at $2500 there would be around another $350 or so in fees and commissions.

Other things to consider, are you intending to keep the car? if it is way worse that you thought could you break it for parts to recover your cost?

If it has the basis of a good car and you intend to keep it for a long time you might be comfortable in paying a bit more, the only thing to be wary of is there might be somebody else thinking the same and bidding also.

Buying at an auction can be fun and exciting, but i've also seen very knowledgible and experience people get caught out at auctions.

Good luck and remember to bid with your head and not your heart. 

Thanks mate ^^

Those numbers stack up well with me, as I won't be there ill set a price and if my mate can bag it, good... But if there is someone bidding online and has not seen the car AND really wants it... Then they'll likely have the upper hand! Same could go inverse

Agree with above

72 desirable bumpers etc, but less desirable engine is it a 2.0?

2-3 k if it isn't a can of worms - best revisit the pelican thread where the yellow 75 914 is rebuilt in 19 weeks

Terry on top of purchase price has another 4k or so in it - doing 99% of the work - engine gearbox not touched, paint not touched

Running 914s have been had for less than 10k

There was the yellow one near Canberra earlier this year - sold for less than 7k I understand

Agree with above

72 desirable bumpers etc, but less desirable engine is it a 2.0?

2-3 k if it isn't a can of worms - best revisit the pelican thread where the yellow 75 914 is rebuilt in 19 weeks

Terry on top of purchase price has another 4k or so in it - doing 99% of the work - engine gearbox not touched, paint not touched

Running 914s have been had for less than 10k

There was the yellow one near Canberra earlier this year - sold for less than 7k I understand

So my mate got down there nice and early to view. 

His observations:

The motor is EFI, there is a light damage on the right hand side door & 1/4" panel, nothing too serious but will need panel beating and painting, the undercarriage damage: the car has hit something and bent the front cross member causing the motor and trans to be sitting in crooked and has popped it off the back two mounts as a results no damage to crankcase or g-box case. Clean dash no cracks or the like, solid body, basically a solid car that is complete. Motor and transmission etc has been unbolted randomly and is half hanging in there.. it was an abandoned vehicle FYI. 

Starting bid= $5000.00 

Bidding went to $6000.00 and was referred... Needless to say we didn't buy this one at twice what it is really worth. 

So my mate got down there nice and early to view. 

His observations:

The motor is EFI, there is a light damage on the right hand side door & 1/4" panel, nothing too serious but will need panel beating and painting, the undercarriage damage: the car has hit something and bent the front cross member causing the motor and trans to be sitting in crooked and has popped it off the back two mounts as a results no damage to crankcase or g-box case. Clean dash no cracks or the like, solid body, basically a solid car that is complete. Motor and transmission etc has been unbolted randomly and is half hanging in there.. it was an abandoned vehicle FYI. 

Starting bid= $5000.00 

Bidding went to $6000.00 and was referred... Needless to say we didn't buy this one at twice what it is really worth. 

Yep good decision me thinks.  An abandoned  vehicle.......wow, why would someone just abandon it???

6k for an abandoned vehicle is good for someone, I guess the local council or whoever picked it up and dropped it in the pound.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Yep good decision me thinks.  An abandoned  vehicle.......wow, why would someone just abandon it???

6k for an abandoned vehicle is good for someone, I guess the local council or whoever picked it up and dropped it in the pound.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Yup, It was the council just to confirm. 

I don't get it either.. who abandons such a vehicle? doesn't make sense... anyway, I figured at some stage of its life a future buyer of that car might find the information useful! 

Yup, It was the council just to confirm. 

I don't get it either.. who abandons such a vehicle? doesn't make sense... anyway, I figured at some stage of its life a future buyer of that car might find the information useful! 

what about that 964 in south melbourne???

Is this the red 914 your talking about Michel?    Damn, the 914 fire in the belly is starting to reignite.

Too much for me, but nice....... 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-914-1974/SSE-AD-2768136/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

thats the one - though seems a bit of a spend; though If you were spending money.. why not spend a bit more and buy Bruce Tengroves silver 914

----NOT IN AUSTRALIA----

Anyone interested in a RHD '71 911T complete but not running needing a resto.

I think it would work out to about $60k au delivered to your door. So probably over priced.

Colour is Conda Green.