Hey all

kov

Hi everyone

I’m Kris from Melbourne long time Porsche 911 nutter, thought I’d give a proper intro before I start posting.

You guys have an awesome forum, with plenty of knowledgeable enthusiast that I have been absorbing key info  the last few months.

My plan is to sell my daily driven VW GTI Pirelli soon. Purchase a cheap daily driver and keep saving for a 911.

My ultimate machine would be a Manual 993 coupe, however in all likelihood my budget won't stretch more than 40k. Unless I save for the next 5 years haha

Realistically my second preference is a manual coupe 996 which will be in my price range.

Welcom mate.

I gave you some feedback on the 996 you posted in the other thread. In all honesty the money you're talking is either a good 996 or a not all that great 993 lol.

Embrace the fried egg headlights and go with it.

I know of a good 986 Boxster S for sale if you're mid-engined inclined at all... B)  (See for sale section)

I always wanted a 911 and still do to be honest but I came around to the Boxster big time and feel it has been a great entry into the marquee.

Anyway, welcome Kov, enjoy your stay!

Welcom mate.

I gave you some feedback on the 996 you posted in the other thread. In all honesty the money you're talking is either a good 996 or a not all that great 993 lol.

Embrace the fried egg headlights and go with it.

Thanks Uncle

That is the dilema either a good 996 or my ultimate 911 a 993 and at that price no guarentee I would find a manual one!

I have had over a dozen cars and at times rushed to buy something. This time around il be sure to buy a daily driver, keep saving and building knowledge on these great vehicles.  I won't be pressed to buy a weekend Porsche!

I know of a good 986 Boxster S for sale if you're mid-engined inclined at all... B)  (See for sale section)

I always wanted a 911 and still do to be honest but I came around to the Boxster big time and feel it has been a great entry into the marquee.

Anyway, welcome Kov, enjoy your stay!

Thanks mate but im sure you car ewill be sold by the time I am ready to buy. I do like the Boxster S and yours looks like a beauty! :)

I can't get a two seater tho, have a daughter so will need a child seat from time to time.

Welcome.

Yeah the poor 996 is really "cheap" now, Just watch out for the IMS issue.

Blow that IMS up and it's big bucks time.

Thanks mate oh and congrats on your purchase. Was a good read and your search for a 997 it ooks sensational!!!!

Yep the IMS will certainly be a factor if I do go down the path of a 996.

40K would get you into a nice 911SC over a 996. Just an option...

There is too many options mate and not enough funds and garage space. I must do some more reading on the 911SC and the Carrera 3.2 I do really love the look of the 80's era 911.

Without ever being in one or driving one, il withold judgement on their power output for now..

I remember someone wise once told me 'there is never a Porsche costing less than $50k.'. I bought my 993 tip for your money, and now have a Porsche which has cost me over $500 (Ssshhhhh, SWMBO only saw the purchase order, not the servicing costs!)

So, enjoy the looking

Man 993 UK imports are $50+

Man 993 Australian delivered are $70+

I would love a manual too, but am SOOOOO HAPPY with my tip that I may not flick it as quickly as I first thought.

Welcome and enjoy.

Chris

Don't forget trusty old 964 - 40k might be do able certainly cheaper than 993s

Everyone knows 964 is The next big in investment model and will rocket up in price.............well I had to say that because I just bought one!

As I see it

Phase 1: the dream

Phase 2: the search

Phase 3: the purchase

Phase 4: the ownership 

All are both exciting and frustrating, which are ultimately outweighed by the enjoyment.

Take your time and enjoy the journey.

Welcome aboard Kov.

Any model would be a great intro. The 996 are crazy great bang for your buck and the SCs are just plain cool. Oh, and the 993......no comment!

Your profile pic is epic 993 butt :) :) :)

As I see it

Phase 1: the dream

Phase 2: the search

Phase 3: the purchase

Phase 4: the ownership 

All are both exciting and frustrating, which are ultimately outweighed by the enjoyment.

Take your time and enjoy the journey.

Fair to say I will be at phase 1 & 2 for a little while yet!  

Welcome kov!

Half the fun is the research and that means getting out and touching and driving as many 911s as you can. Once you know how important certain things are to you, then the model reference will become very clear. Like air con and future maintenance. Don't let the IMS scare you off with a 996. Do your research, buy smart by getting a PPI and then factor in IMS bearing upgrade into your immediate costs. Eyes wide open :)

The 996 is best bang for buck by far!

Welcome Kov,

I have been looking at about the same $40k ish mark for 911's, but I'm about 12 months off selling my S2 and taking the plunge into something else.

I love the 993 S, the 930 and the 997 as my favorites, but a good one of any of these is at least $50k +++......

I've been looking at 80's Carreras, and 996's for a while. I figure with the 996 and it's IMS issue, you just have to take the plunge, spend the $2.5k to fix it, then just drive it and just enjoy it!! I know a few guys with Boxsters and 996 and all have done this to their cars and none have failed in any other area. I've looked tests on the 996 when it was new it was as raved about and amazing as all who have come after it.

What I have come up with is this:

1980's Carreras are awesome if this is a car for you to fang around in and have fun! Classic! cool car. A great car for Sunday morning blasts, but unlikely to have aircon or any niceties (these things make no difference to me, but my wife would not go in it in summer).

996's are a comfortable, modern and pretty fast sports car that your wife/ partner would not be intimidated to drive and with climate control etc a nice car to do a few trips in. Still a 911, still classic styled rear engine.

Not knowing your circumstances I won't give advice either way, I love both cars.

The search/ journey is half the fun, good luck :)

Archived