Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Tit

1 minute ago, Peter M said:

Good work Tit!

Could I suggest you take some photos of the evaporator case before you split it so you know which orientation the actuator arms are and you have to do less headscratching.  I wish I had taken some at the time.....

Yeah, good idea.  It was late last night and we decided not to crack the case until we were rested. 

We were pondering how we might clean/lubricate all of the flaps, blowers etc.  Some-kind of dry-lube, lithium grease or something...dunno...

Some of the plastics have seen better days.

2 minutes ago, Tit said:

We were pondering how we might clean/lubricate all of the flaps, blowers etc.  Some-kind of dry-lube, lithium grease or something...dunno...

Except for the motor bushes I found everything just needed a clean and can't recall having to lube anything else

17 minutes ago, Tit said:

urgh...stereo installers...

I'm looking at this amp, to mount under the dash or seat to go with a Kienzle head unit:

Stereo is a project for next year. I'd like to do all of the speakers, head unit and amp.  I also have an original head unit, but I think I'd like the blue-tooth/USB stuff for long trips...

I like the HU mate!

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

Another project completed - a Stereo ‘upgrade’.  I put that in inverted commas, because really, it was more of a cleanup than an upgrade.  Previously, the car had a two channel Alpine amp and a fairly old Pioneer CD stereo, which suited the interior well.  In itself, that amp was nice, but it was horrifically mounted in the frunk. It just looked ghetto and had to go. 

i-ftW4CLM-X2.jpg

i-bcXk52W-X2.jpg

So I pulled that amp out a few months ago, and the old Pioneer head unit was just not up to the task by itself.  When the volume was up, the backlight in the head unit would go dim with each beat of low frequency. haha…

Anyway, I’ve had my eye on a Kienzle head unit for some time now, as they look relatively sedate and can handle bluetooth audio and phone connection.  They also come with 2 USB inputs.  The unit I bought is the mechless one, that is, it has no CD player and is only half the size by depth.

Link to Head Unit: http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Kienzle-Car-Radio-MCR1116BT/Kienzle+MCR+1116+BT+Bluetooth+Car+Radio

i-345sx8V-X2.jpg

In addition, I grabbed a retro sound amp. It’s a 4 x 45WRMS unit that is quite small.  I didn’t have high expectations for this one, other than it can give me a little quality and power.   

Link to the Amp: http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/RetroSound-QUAD4-Amplifier/RetroSound+Quadraphonic+Amplifier

i-mB9wtgs-X2.jpg

The previous owner had put focal splits in the front door, and there’s some ancient pioneer coaxial speakers in the parcel shelf.  

I’m taking this ‘upgrade’ process in three steps:

1. Sort out the wiring mess

2. Install this new head unit, amp and wiring

3. Clean and sound treat the doors, around the speakers, and the rear parcel shelf.

This post is about points one and two, as I’ve not started the third just yet…

Sorting out the Wiring & Harnesses

It was a bit of a mess under there.  One of the previous owners had done a bit of splicing, basically to set up an ISO harness for the Pioneer head unit.  Also, for some reason, they’d ditched the wiring in the left door speaker for their own (so my wiring diagram didn’t match up with the car).

i-JP5zQgK-X2.jpg

So I basically soldered up the wiring into the ISO connectors, heat-shink and fabric wrapped to look OEM-ish.  I also obtained an illumination feed from one of the un-used plugs in the row of switches that includes the cigarette lighter.  

The orange wire here is illumination, the blue is antenna power.

i-jK4TqBT-X2.jpg

The intent here, is that I can plug in any head unit, with or without the amp, using ISO connectors.

I then wired up an extended harness so that I could place the amp under the drivers (RHD) seat.  That harness was approx 1.3m long.

i-3b2v9BN-X2.jpg

i-qVDJMFN-X2.jpg

i-NqPBgf8-X2.jpg

Because the amp has the wiring integral (ie. no spade connectors etc), I didn’t have to mess around with that.  The Amp basically has ISO plugs at either end for input and outputs. I didn’t bother with RCA (line-out) plugs, and just used the ISO connection to the amp.

i-wVLRkgH-X2.jpg

It’s also not a huge power amp, as the power and ground wires are 14 gauge - quite small.  I ran the amp power wire through the firewall, coming out below the fuel tank, running along with the other earth and power wires to the battery. It’s relatively well hidden.

i-MnnZ6sn-X2.jpg

Bonus Harness

In Australia, the 964 wasn’t delivered with the same Head Units as the US and ROW. Dealers in Australia installed a Eurovox unit.  My original head unit was long gone, but I managed to obtain one about two years ago, and it has been studiously sitting in a cupboard here.   The harness is intact.   So what I did was wire up an ISO to this Eurovox plug harness. So if I ever want to plug the Eurovox head unit in, it should plug straight in.

i-DGFQnXF-X2.jpg

i-JgzQ446-X2.jpg

I have an original manual for this stereo as well if anyone is looking for info from one...

i-RcRLfsb-X2.jpg

Unfortunately, this unit needs a code to unlock, which I will sort out at a later date.

Installation

Oh man, rolling around on my back and knees, fiddling with the gross under-lay / sound deadening on the drivers side was no fun. But this was the obvious location for the amp because there was room for it, there was an earth source nearby, and there was already a cable run for the factory amp that once resided there.  So my cabling went along there, below the drivers feet, up the heater pipes and along under the dash.

i-Zfp2pDc-X2.jpg

I tested everything worked (which it did!).

i-HGPZzN5-X2.jpg

I then went off and downloaded some line signals for setting the gain on the amp from here:

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/235503327-Audio-Files

I used the multi-meter method to determine the voltage using this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOUd3NkOyQ

Anyway, I never got up to my calculated voltage of 13 point something something volts, the voltage always seemed to peak around 12 volts (interesting...).  So I set the gain at 1/3rd around the dial for front and back and am happy that I’m not going to blow anything up (well, maybe the rear speakers because they are crappy).

I buttoned it all up and decided I’d have more of a play on the weekend…

(It’s winter down here.  It goes to around -5 degrees celsius over night, so this was a slow process going out to the garage in the evenings and rolling around on the cold concrete)

So far I’m happy.  The display is a bit limited, so it struggles to show intuitive file and folder names off the USB. But that’s no big deal, as the bluetooth audio works a treat, and that will be my primary source of tunes.

Also, it’s a 964, so the sound environment is seriously compromised.

The backlighting on this head unit is brighter than I expected, so I'm going to fiddle and see if I can dim it down.  Also, I need to go back and look at the power switching, as it is turned on independently of ignition position, ie. I have to manually turn it on and off.

i-2SfPcVc-X2.jpg

i-sZk7Xzp-X2.jpg

For now I’m happy, but next up will be sorting out the sound deadening in the doors and rear parcel shelf. I’m not a weight weenie, but I won’t go too silly either.  I think I’d like to just give the speakers a fighting chance.

Hey Tiaan,

Well done getting this project going in the middle of winter. Extra kudos for that!! Bet you had your thermal undies on ?

I am wondering how well the handsfree calling works whilst you are driving? Have you had a chance to test it yet?

tk

On 7/19/2018 at 2:04 PM, tk111 said:

Hey Tiaan,

Well done getting this project going in the middle of winter. Extra kudos for that!! Bet you had your thermal undies on ?

I am wondering how well the handsfree calling works whilst you are driving? Have you had a chance to test it yet?

tk

No. How about I test it out calling you! 

1 hour ago, KGB said:

@Tit clean your keyboard Rotelboy!   Nice work btw.

Lol. It is a manky!

So, I'm not totally happy with the sound. I think the rear speakers flap about like a wizards sleeve. 

It's a good excuse to buy some speakers, anyway...?

2 hours ago, Tit said:

Lol. It is a manky!

So, I'm not totally happy with the sound. I think the rear speakers flap about like a wizards sleeve. 

It's a good excuse to buy some speakers, anyway...?

I found a pair of Polks zackly same weird size as the originals. Doof.

I miss those Mini2 & ‘Tex days...

• 1 year later...

Hmm...haven't posted in here for a while! 🤐

Some updates...

Had some BBS LMs reconditioned. Polished lips and gold centres....still waiting to get tires to mount, but there's some more expensive items in the queue ahead of them...

i-CbSJ2kp-XL.jpg

i-SpGbKVh-XL.jpg

The engine has come out for a major service. This time around we'll be doing some cosmetic work on the engine as well.

i-krr6C8d-L.jpg

i-CzknD3w-L.jpg

Had a play in the media-blaster...did the engine tin and a few other bits and pieces...

i-K2Dcf7n-X2.jpg

i-F38Fpmz-X2.jpg

And powder-coated...

i-XMhRt9J-X2.jpg

Cleaned up some other manky parts...

i-Tsvf4Q6-XL.jpg

i-qqmFpXT-L.jpg

i-9xpT6nb-L.jpg

i-jTDD8Pj-L.jpg

i-G9xTd2z-L.jpg

I opted for a new fan as well (Rose Passion AUD$300 less than The Bird!!), so this one (not perfect - you can see some surface cracking in this pic), will be up for sale soon as well as unused (still in box) bearing as the new fan came with one installed..

i-B6wt5Jc-L.jpg

Next up:

• Install RSR seals on the rocker shafts
  • Valve-lash adjust
  • Usual major service items (fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, dizzy, spark plugs, ps fluid etc)
  • Refurb alternator, new regulator, new bearings, rebuild fan housing and alternator
  • Reinstall fan, new pulleys and belts
  • Timing chain cover gasket
  • Crank-case ventilation gasket
  • Repair crank position sensor (damaged plug)
  • New heater pipe vent tubes (to tail lights)
  • Servicing injectors
  • Replace torn clutch slave boot
  • Replace cruise control rod (keeps popping off!)
  • Rear brake pads & brake bleed
  • Reinstall Engine
  • Reinstall Engine under-tray to keep all the crap from going all over the engine and gearbox!