Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Tit

awesome.

Tell me, what sizing did you opt for your michelins?

Same as the ones on there. 255/40/17 & 205/50/17.  Not interested in wider fronts because I want sharper turn-in.  Didn't even look to see if they had 265's for the rear.  They are a fairly benign fitment.

That's what I am running.. curiously, lots of people told me I should have opted for 215 or 225 fronts... 

I did notice that my front tyres look almost too narrow for my rim though.. or perhaps I just prefer that "fat" look too much.

i did have 225's on the front of my cups, seemed the right size? 205's are on my 16x6.5 fuchs.

I recently deliberately swapped back to 205's because I didn't like the tramlining and kickback through the steering wheel of the wider front tyres on the often imperfect roads I drive on.

I accept that many prefer the look of the wider tyres and the potential of a couple of percent faster through a slalom but I'll take improved steering feel any day in my street cars.  Once again I think Porsche got the standard setup pretty right for the real world. 

Call me weird, I even like the standard ride height so I can get over driveway crossings!    

Edited by Peter M

I recently deliberately swapped back to 205's because I didn't like the tramlining and kickback through the steering wheel of the wider front tyres on the often imperfect roads I drive on.

I accept that many prefer the look of the wider tyres and the potential of a couple of percent faster through a slalom but I'll take improved steering feel any day in my street cars.  Once again I think Porsche got the standard setup pretty right for the real world. 

Call me weird, I even like the standard ride height so I can get over driveway crossings!    

You're weird! :P

• 3 weeks later...

I know there's lots of Magnus haters on here.  I'm not one of them, but I'm generally not drawn to his Urban Outlaw products. I think they're a bit contrived.  This is actually a story of drunken online shopping.   I was at a bucks party in Sydney in September. Turns out I read car blogs while I'm drunk!

I woke up to the order confirmation in my email.  That's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it.  The main reason drunk Tit thought this was a good idea was because of the thicker rim.  My favourite steering wheels are BMW M Sport wheels - which you probably know have good 'girth'. I've got a JCW wheel on the mini, which is a chunky tiller, and I love it.

I can take or leave the "fatiguing" on the leather, though.

Pros: 

• Thicker wheel girth *snigger*
  • Classic Prototipo design

Cons (for me):

• Im 6'1", and found the mod.07 dish (extra 20mm depth) helps a lot for my driving position (Sitting straight in the seat, I extend my arms out and put my wrists on top of the steering wheel.  I usually have the rim about 2 inches back from my wrists).  So with this wheel, my driving position isn't as perfect as it was before.
  • I realise all the MW wheels are different, but when I look at the leather distressing, it does seem a little 'forced' or 'contrived'.  

All in all, I love the thicker rim.   I think I'm starting a bit of a steering wheel collection (911 Turbo wheel, Mod.07 and MW).  I think perfect wheel for me would be a Mod.07 with the MW thickness...might need to visit an auto trimmer...)

Some of the colour & lighting in these shots is a bit out, because I shot long exposure in low light conditions.  I still don't have any day light shots:

Perhaps he's pointing at my wallet...

i-XD98RFW-X3.jpg

i-ZTSrddg-X3.jpg

i-RwtN22Z-X3.jpg

i-SLNvgtq-X3.jpg

i-2zTRgP6-X3.jpg

i-dsdMnMr-X3.jpg

i-XNJxmbH-X3.jpg

i-p2fR3Cc-X3.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting!  The colour isn't this light, but it's be best I managed with the lighting in my garage.

i-v6gRF5x-X3.jpg

Matches the genuinely fatigued seats! :P

i-C5cx7bZ-X2.jpg

Edited by Tit

I agree - it's nice to have a bit of extra thickness.  Feels good in your hands.  When I had my original 3 spoker recovered I got the guy to put some additional foam in it.  

Nice flowers.  Did you get them for your wife for your anniversary?   They've lasted well.

I agree - it's nice to have a bit of extra thickness.  Feels good in your hands.  

Nice flowers.  Did you get them for your wife for your anniversary?   They've lasted well.

GIRTH!

Oh yeah - they lasted three weeks! They were the ones I sent from Tassie!!

One thing though, please stop saying girth.  :P

NO!

( :P )

Thanks for the feed back on the mod.07 dish wheel. Getting one soon. 

Mod.07 is awesome - I only really wanted it because I grew up watching WRC - deep dish alcantara wheels with the yellow stripe!  The only disappointment for me was how skinny it was.  For some people, that's not an issue.

Entertaining post Tit! Gotta love the old online drunk purchase. 

If only the regular Prototipo came with the extra girth. I am by no means a MW hater and I do genuinely like his passion and cars, but I don't think I could rock a wheel with his signature and the UO horn press. Distressed leather, agreed, is bit contrived but looks like a nice wheel nonetheless. 

• 7 months later...

HPC?

Hematopoietic Progenitor Cells?

Hydroxypropylcellulose?

Heterotrophic Plate Counts?

High performance computing?

High performance coatings?

NFI :P

....Rennline billet. Upper and lower...

So. I was thinking about the future of this car.  Which brought me to wondering about the 'modification' discussion in a recent thread on here.  I generally have no problem with modifying cars...but I'm starting to feel a little different about this one.

I was looking at my wheels, and realised I really like how the Cup1's look.  What I really don't like is the weight of the replicas I have.  So the logic in my head went like this: "OK....find some OEM Cup 1 wheels.  Perhaps I should keep this car close to stock as possible as well."

Which brings me to my question.  What does the peanut gallery consider reasonable when it comes to 'close to stock' condition?  (I say that, because previous owners have put cup mirrors on this car, H&R springs, a 930S steering wheel, non-porsche couplings in the air-con system, a Blaupunkt head-unit, G-pipe, an after-market radio antenna in the front right quarter-panel and I don't have the original wheels).

For example would it be acceptable to the tweed-jacket brigade to:

- put something like KW coil-overs instead of using OEM suspension,

- keep the Blaupunkt CD player (it looks like it was made in the 90's and matches the interior),

- keep the non-original steering wheel,

- have wheels that weren't delivered with the car,

- have clear indicators instead of the original orange ones (I'm still not convinced on this one),

- have 'RS' additions like mirrors and brake ducts,

- have non OEM bushes in the suspension, engine and gearbox, and

- have non OEM shifter-couplings.

Also, would a 'G-pipe', high-flow cat and chip be pushing things?  I'm starting to feel it would...

ie. at what point is it considered an (over) modified car?  I know a lot of 964's have been fiddled with to give an 'RS' look and the general consensus seems to be this is ok.

I know some will be inclined to say "it's your car, do what you want".  To that I say - I'm not convinced that I would enjoy it more if it was modified.

PS: @Dreamr, it doesn't have a smog pump, but I'd definitely remove that! :P

Hey Tit,

Been reading through your thread. Where have you come to stand in respect of your dilemma. I feel that i'm a bit in the same boat as you were so i'm keen to hear how you resolved that one.

Cheers,

Hey Tit,

Been reading through your thread. Where have you come to stand in respect of your dilemma. I feel that i'm a bit in the same boat as you were so i'm keen to hear how you resolved that one.

Cheers,

I'm pretty much going to do the mods mentioned. Mainly because they are all reverseable.

I think the car could handle better, so next steps are coilovers, camber plates, strut brace and a more aggressive alignment.

I'm also gathering the OEM bits such as the radio and steering wheel to put aside. I won't do any irreversible mods...

What are you looking at doing?

Just considering my suspension options at the moment, my original front shocks are worn so it's replacement time. But given I've literally just bought the car it's a bit of a difficult decision as I literally have no feel for what it should be like at present. I think I'm leaning towards OEM at least for a little while, it'll let me establish a baseline and go from there in a year or so.

Just considering my suspension options at the moment, my original front shocks are worn so it's replacement time. But given I've literally just bought the car it's a bit of a difficult decision as I literally have no feel for what it should be like at present. I think I'm leaning towards OEM at least for a little while, it'll let me establish a baseline and go from there in a year or so.

Suspension should lasta long time. Swapping out year old oem suspension will be an expensive exercise!

Look at your bushings in the mean time, that's an easy improvement.

I'm a big KW fan, so I'm definitely after a set of those.

I know what you mean by not having a reference point, though.