Nice things ppl have said about your car

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped kids at school this morning, when I got back to car there were 3 elderly morning walkers out and one of them pointed at my 993 and said "I think they pay teachers too much"...  I took it as a compliment, but ensured they understood it wasn't owned by a teacher..

My old 911 used to get a lot of "That things angry" or people just taking photo's with phones when it was matte Black. The new car seems to get a lot of smiles but not much more.

I did however get to use a Steamwolf line this morning on a bloke in a TRD Hilux with a big exhaust and a definite blower whine. We pulled on to a 90kph link road from a set of lights he gave it all it had so I just kind of politely rolled past him but leaving to make no mistake about who was going to be getting to 90 first. At the next set of lights he yells out “What’s in that?” I turned to him and say “98 octane” as per the Steamwolf quote. He gives me a puzzled look and says ok.

My old 911 used to get a lot of "That things angry" or people just taking photo's with phones when it was matte Black. The new car seems to get a lot of smiles but not much more.

I did however get to use a Steamwolf line this morning on a bloke in a TRD Hilux with a big exhaust and a definite blower whine. We pulled on to a 90kph link road from a set of lights he gave it all it had so I just kind of politely rolled past him but leaving to make no mistake about who was going to be getting to 90 first. At the next set of lights he yells out “What’s in that?” I turned to him and say “98 octane” as per the Steamwolf quote. He gives me a puzzled look and says ok.

LMAO!!!!!

I will be using this quote next time!! 

My favourite line was "it's stock"

The other night my son & I went to Murray Bridge for a footy trial game.  Course he drove the Porsche - there & back (he's just turned 19).  After the game we went to Maccas for some food.  He got all the looks and waves from the young girls. Needless to say, I got nothing, except the food bill.  Then we went to get petrol.  This guy comes out and says to me "smoooooth, cleeeeen and sweeeeet dude.  Does it go hard?"  I said "yeah, it goes OK for a 30 year old car".  Then he spots my lad in the driver's seat and says "is it your son's car?"  Thanks very much matey.  He goes to the driver's window and says to my son nice ride man.  My lad says "actually it's my mum's car".  Dude says "mum's a bit of a revhead is she?"  It was pretty funny.  I got the guy's drift.

As we drove off my boy says to me "he was a pretty friendly bogun wasn't he". 

This was a comment made in a race report about my car a few years back…still makes me laugh.

"Time for a stroll down the line-up of exotica awaiting scrutineering.  Some of the cars are less exotic than others but no less interesting.  Most interesting of all for those who like a good underdog story is the ancient Porsche 944 of Australian, Steve Adams.  Finished in battleship grey, with shutlines you could send small boys down to recover lost footballs, and exaggerated bolted-on wheel arches, it looks like it took a wrong turn at La Sarthe circa 1991 and slipped through a rip in the time-space continuum to end up in Dubai 2011."

And a comment by some guy watching me load the car on the trailer after the first time I had it out at Lakeside:

"Mate, I have no idea what that is, but it's a f%#king rocket!"  lol

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in at Koo Wee Rup on the way to the island when a young boy (about 8) and his dad walked out of a toy shop.  

The young boy just stopped and stared.  

His father said, "well son you've been asking about them that's what they look like"

Young lad just replies "sick" as he does a lap of the car with his mouth open.

I didn't think but I should have opened it up and let him sit in the driver's seat (next time)

Hope he ends up buying one.

Visited my old house in Calwell (ACT).  Present owner said "wow, beautiful car" then called her sons out to have a look.  They just scoured the whole car with wide grins and then posed for photos for their mum.

Got an invite to visit again and stay……was it me or the car ????  Hmmm

On our first day of the Canberra SMT, 2 911's and a Boxster pull up in front of the pub at Taralga and the

local yocal car enthusiast asks, between slurps of his schooner, are you guys in the Alfa club...........

nice.

Dominic.

a few to many  ;)

One of the nicer moments was pulling up at a rest stop on the way to the SM1000 when a coach pulls up loaded to the gunnels with school kids on an organised trip away.

There was a wall of kids 2 deep and they were over the moon when I said it was ok for them to sit in the car so they could take phone pictures of each other. Chatted with the bus driver and one of the teachers for probably 40 minutes.

Much better than when I had a red beach buggy and noticed a kid in the soccer-mum 4x4 next to me with his face and hands glues to the window staring at the buggy. I was all proud and stuff until I heard him shout "Look Mum!  The Wiggles!!"

I wasn't even in a skivvy :(

I had my 944 in the parking lot of coles one time and i was walking back to my car behind a lady and her son and the son saw my car and said 'Wow, look at that car mum, i want one of those when im older' yeah it was a kid, but sometimes kids have a more pure view on cars, thier opinion isnt clouded by a Badge or a stereo type.

I also had a guy talk to me as i was getting back into my 928S a few months ago and he was telling me how he had pictures of 928's over his walls as a kid and unfortunately to this day he still hasnt got one but each time he sees someone driving one he looks at the driver and thinks to himself that he is one lucky bastard.

I punted the 944 around a couple of country roads through the week, on a particular road that is well of the highway and not a well used road a bike cop appears out of nowhere lights flashing so I pulled over.

He says, do you know you were over the speed limit of 80 kmh,

yes I say but it wasn't by much,

no you were averaging well over 90kmh.

How does he know I didn't even see anyone in the rear view mirror for several kilometres, I think he saw me turn off the highway somewhere and followed me in but from way back so I couldn't see him, this is what followed.

How long since you've been booked?

30 years,

ok I'm going to write you an infringement notice ill be back.............

I appreciate your out on a country road road and ive taken that into consideration, also ive taken into consideration the type of car you are driving so ive booked you for 6kmh over, so that's $106 and 1 point off your license, if you appeal you will probably get off because of your good driving record,

gee thanks officer plod.

Why not just give me a caution and save all the hassle.

how can the average traffic policeman estimate an 'average' with any sort of accuracy on a winding road?

I'd appeal it on that basis - unless he showed you the reading from the radar gun

how can the average traffic policeman estimate an 'average' with any sort of accuracy on a winding road?

I'd appeal it on that basis - unless he showed you the reading from the radar gun

no proof, no fine!!!

"yes I say but it wasn't by much,"

There's your proof.

And the fine? For breaking the speed limit by "not much".

Be nice, but always zip it.

Yep spot on. I think I once put a cop off his game by saying that I didn't believe I was speeding, when asked why I was. He was noticeably upset by this response and was saying but what about this, showing me the radar, and I said that I don't know about that, but I don't believe I was speeding. He then made 3 mistakes on the ticket, which I then challenged as being unlawfully issued.

Mistake 1: car was green not gray.

Mistake 2: no speed was noted

Mistake 3: he put I had to pay the fine by Jan 2010 when ticket was issued in Nov 2010.

I did point out when I challenged the ticket, that at no time did I admit I had committed any offence and also that I was unable to travel back in time to pay the ticket before the due date :)

The ticket was withdrawn.

Archived