*** Update 30 June 2015***

If you're interested in coming along (even if you're not decided or confirmed), please PM me for details - I have set up a separate micro-site that is password protected. You can check out the current plans there.

Go to the Site I PM you and use the 'Sign Up!' link to sign up.  All trip details are on the site or in this thread.

FIRST WEEK OF NOVEMBER 2015

I want to book night cruises both ways, and 4-room berths to keep the $ down.

For the Tassie locals - are you keen to join in, or at least meet us at some point? I need a local to help coord that aspect of the trip if there's any volunteers?

I think a Clockwise route around the island makes the most sense. Some possible routes:

i-gmhnSS8.jpg

i-4PLXXdT-XL.png

i-fRCvgc7-XL.png

Hi All,

As you've probably seen, a few of us have been down to Tassie recently. We also have a decent Tasmanian contingent as well.

Niko, Stardust and I are considering planning and running a trip down to experience the amazing Tassie roads - specifically using the Targa stages as a guide for where to drive.

Some parameters that we have initially agreed are important to stick to include:

• This is for PFA members only.
  • Porsche’s only
  • Drivers +1, no ‘kids’ please (yes, we can be flexible, but this is intended as an 'adults/drivers' trip).
  • 4 days minimum - but most likely closer to 7-10 days.
  • 10-12 cars are ideal number for accom, parking etc. We won't limit the numbers, though.
  • I would suggest a night ferry ride and sleeping on the boat to arrive fresh and to make the 10 hour journey less tedious.
  • I personally would prefer to accompany my car on the boat (instead of flying and meeting it there) because I don't want some ships-hand / dock-worker driving my car! (But I'm open to suggestions).

Why this over other PCA or Targa tour options? This is a PFA-cruise! (plus it’ll probably be cheaper).

I have set up a survey to guage interest. By filling the form out, I'll assume that you're interested in the trip. Click on the link below and once things become clearer, we can go from there...

The trip will adhere to the PFA SMT guidelines, which can be

Note: don't forget the Canberra cruise is in March as well...

PFA (Targa) Tassie cruise survey

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll submit the form shortly but I thought I'd share some thoughts as a frequent Tassie tripper.  I fell in love with Tassie on a week long family holiday but realised that those roads were made for better things than a station wagon with young kids throwing up in the back. A few guys organised a 2 day trip on Aussie Exotics in 2007 and we have been back every year since - sometimes more than once a year.  I live in Adelaide. Sometimes we'll truck our cars to Melbourne but mostly we drive, then the ferry etc.  Here are some observations from my experience.

- Don't be tempted to save on a cabin on the Spirit of Tasmania by sitting up all night.  You'll get no sleep and be a road hazard when you get there.  The ferry is fun and a great place for everyone to meet and get to know each other or catch up before the action starts.

- The best time of year is possibly November.  It's usually dry, there are few tourists, the place still looks nice and green.  January is too busy with tourists who drive slower than Porsches tend to. Feb is better, but can still be busy. Keep clear of Targa.  May is wet and cold but the roads are empty at least.  Avoid school holidays as the traffic increases a lot.

- 8 cars is better than say 12.  Filling 12 cars at a single premium pump takes ages.  Essentially, the bigger the group, the less driving you can do.

- Take a handheld 2 way radio per car.  It makes it much easier to keep the group together. It also makes for safer overtaking.  Uniden has a good range of models but anything is better than nothing.

- Only Telstra works in Tassie.  If you aren't with Telstra, get a Telstra SIM for the trip.  The other carriers have laughable coverage down there.

- consider hiring or borrowing a satphone.  One of us crashed on Elephant Pass Road after hitting ice and we needed the satphone to get a tow. (also watch for ice on EP road in May!)

- think about road club membership (NRMA, RACV etc) before you go. Breakdowns happen and so can accidents.

- Agree on overtaking rules.  It's easy to break your friend's windscreen by throwing gravel up.  And don't travel too close to the car in front of you or you'll damage your car.  Ask me how I know.

- think about clearbra for the front of your car - see above.

- The best driving is in the West and the Central Highlands.  The East is pretty as as a picture but full of traffic - including the kind with flashing lights on the roof.  It's still worth doing but best to take it easy there.

- plan fuel stops around 98 octane (or at least 95) as some towns have no premium pump.

- it doesn't really matter how slow or fast your car is. We have Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos etc along but the roads are so tight any sporty hatch will stay in touch.

We have only done it as a boys trip - we are there for the driving and don't bother with visits to strawberry farms. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Our trips are 2 or 3 days only but we cover huge distances - up to 700km per day. Stupid really but the driving is so good it is hard to stop.  

Tit is right - Tasmania is one of the best driving places in the world. It has some roads that were built just for the Hydro scheme (and to service mining towns) but now have a much more important role - somewhere to exercise your Porsche. :)

Mhh, I agree with everything you've said. The proposed longer duration is because I'd prefer not risk safety and rush. I personally think the November period is ideal, but will wait to hear what the crowd thinks.

Well, it looks like the VIC NOV 3 day weekend could conflict with another Tassie run.

I felt it would be difficult for Tassie to be planned again (proposed every 2nd year) for those PFA members who went last time thus the VIC idea.

Would have liked to have got a PM on this as it was proposed after I had posted.

I have no choice but to submit form and wait for an outcome ( I love a Tassie drive but may find it hard for permission AGAIN ).

Happy to provide info as I was involved in planning the last Tassie run.

Woops, :o  my fault Mark,

I must say I had completely forgotten you had suggested a Tas or Vic 3 day run some time back for November this year.

(I think it is a medical condition known as Craft's disease :wacko: )

Maybe if you touch base with TIT/STARDUST or vice versa re suggestions etc it can all be worked out between everyone.

There is only a survey out at this stage so nothing in concrete at all yet.   Although interest seems good for Tassy.

(Which reminds me...for any proposed event ... do not forget to put it on the calendar to ensure we don't have a conflict of dates.) 

At this stage my involvement is only to help out with anything, if the boys need it, and to ensure the event stays within our PFA guidelines.

Between TIT, STARDUST, and yourself with the experiences you have all had in Tassy I'm sure a cunning plan can be achieved. :D 

By my enthusiastic backing of a Tassy event suggested by TIT and STARDUST it was not meant to ignore your previous suggestion of a Tassy run, so my sincere apologies there if it seemed I had done that.  

Suggest keep planning details between organisers, so as not to attract to much attention. Details can be by PM to those who commit, closer to date. Boat planning is biggest hurdle and needs early payment up front (outside peak seasons is best deal with night sailing).

Cheers,Mark.

Hi Mark. Sorry - I wasn't aware of the Victorian plans. I've only been around here a few months, so there's lots I don't know.

Like Nico said. We're currently in 'discovery' phase...so no need to sweat it yet.

I will say though, like all of these events, it's impossible to please everyone.

Submitted.

Time of the year wouldnt matter to us.

Be great to send a car over and meet you guys.

Might prop in Adelaide and do the GOR as well.

Hope it gets puled together and thanks for the effort

Rgds

Suggestion - Would be happy to see a Tassie trip on the Calender every Second year as (cost) and time away from family is difficult for many, especially with 4 day Canberra run as well.

Hi Mark,

Don't really see the issue. Based on the responses to the initial post to gauge interest above I would say there are enough people showing interest to make this doable. As to timing well that will be worked out by the people who have suggested it. In this instance TIT and Stardust. The same goes for Canberra, we don't need to be setting in stone time lines for these sorts of events. Some people will go and some will not, depending on their circumstances at the time. If they don't then perhaps next time they will. I hope everyone who can do these sorts of event gets the opportunity at some stage.

Go for it TIT and Stardust, the enthusiasm is obvious and I think it's great.

Beside how lucky are we that we can even contemplate being able to do this sort of thing. Awesome!!

C

Sorry Chris, but you have the wrong impression.

As an organiser I know what enthusiasm is from the first Tassie trip!

I am all for it, just suggesting that it takes forward planning and commitment and hopefully we don't get date conflicts of long weekends in the same month.

We just needed numbers (for planning) to make it more cost effective (including Track time) and that is why the suggestions, and that is all they are.

Cheers, Mark.

Archived