Deposit Paid 76 2.7 Targa

Hi All,

I paid a deposit this morning on a 1976 Targa with a 2.7 & 915. Everyone needs more than 1 Porsche right? More details and pics etc when I get it in my name and in my driveway. Woohoo!

No names no pack drill, but it has been known that the transition from a modern (namby pamby) Porsche to the real (Mans )ones is not for the faint hearted ;)

But well done,good luck and hope you still have it in 3 weeks...

P2 has arrived! Picked her up this afternoon. First impressions, love at first drive. Sure it needs some work but it was a sub $30,000 purchase. And quite a bit sub.

Road report. The shift is agricultural into first and second, the other 3 are perfect. Might have a look at the bushes etc in the shift linkage. Wevo may fix that, comments please people. Engine pulls like a lunar rocket on steroids. Mike (Cayman S) has heard the exhaust and loves the sound. No idea what type of system it has but there is a 3 inch tailpipe at the rear and an awesome noise. Not too loud but awesome. Brakes are power boosted so they r fine. It appears to have been fitted with some quite wide rear Fuchs, I would say 7" at a guess. Newish Yokohama something tyres, too dark at the moment for further info there. The Targa top is in good condition, I think it needs a new seal where the top pushes against the roll bar, project list for that as well. Interior is okay considering it's a 38 year old car. A crack here and there but overall pretty good. Car was repainted by a previous owner about 7 years ago unfortunately. It was kermit green and is now black. Pretty good condition again, just a couple of minor scratches that are to be expected after 7 years, very minor. Passenger seat has a small tear, drivers is pretty good.

Overall it's a bloody nice little car that I think will be a lot of fun. Can't wait to start those projects!

Looks good value for money and as long as your happy with it is all that really matters.

Wheels look the same as mine so they are probably 7&8s

There is a run this weekend you should bring it out for a shakedown...

... The shift is agricultural into first and second, the other 3 are perfect. Might have a look at the bushes etc in the shift linkage. Wevo may fix that, comments please people. ...

First off, congrats on the purchase.

Second off, I don't carry Wevo, but it's good stuff.  (I mention that I do not carry Wevo because I do not want what follows to appear as intending to steer you off something just because I happen not to stock it.)

If by "agricultural" you mean reluctant to shift it's more likely a synchro issue than a linkage issue.

If it is a linkage issue you can do a great deal to improve things by replacing the tunnel rod bush and ball cup bush beneath the shifter and also replacing the bushes in the shift linkage at the back of the car.

Enjoy the car!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

James I didn't really think a Wevo would fix all life's problems but they do look really cool! Yes I think it's slow syncros. I might try changing the gearbox oil and some bushes -'bearings as suggested. Shifting into first and second seems to be right at the end of the throw of the gear stick so tightening up that shifter linkage and connector would certainly help with that.

Apart from that it doesn't need much at all and certainly drive able how it is right now.

Sounds like you have done your research in regards to the shifting characteristics/issues of the 915 box, and you have probably read how unique they are and nothing like a modern or even boxes from the same era.

To share my experience after 12 months of 911 ownership, this is the process i went through in my attempts to improve the shifting experience:

1. Correct clutch adjustment - which was out and lead to refurbishing the pedal box as all the bushings were shot and the clutch spring broken ($70 for a spring!) 
  2. Coupler and front linkage bushes replaced - The coupler bushes were totally shot! the front one were ok but replaced anyway. Both 1 & 2 were done at the same time  and while they improved the shifting it still wasn't right.
  3. Transmission oil - The car came with and extensive history and the majority of all work done and while the trans oil was fresh it appeared Castrol Syntrax had been used, research indicated this was a no no for the 915 so it was changed for the correct type Castrol brand. This did make a significant difference and was recently changed again with Swepco 201, and while a further improvement was noticed although it was only marginal.
  4. Engine and trans mounts - these looked ok while in the car but it was only when they were removed you could see how worn they were. I went of the "Sport" type which are apparently slightly stiffer than standard. This was the most significant improvement yet, not only to the shifting but also the feel of the car, and all for and hours work and $120 of parts.
  5. Fine tuning - one thing I have noticed about the adjustment of the coupler is that only a small adjustment can either greatly improve or  make the shifting worse.
  6. Other things to consider - the Wevo type couplers are renowned for being an improvement over the original set up, and i replaced the coupler bushes with the "Poly" type one which were available locally. These worked fine but started to losses off after six month or so and were replaced with the "Derlin" type from a guy called the "Coupler Whisperer" these are a hard plastic and made a big difference. The shifter itself had a cracked pivot bracket which did not attend to straight away and then broke, as this part was not NLA  I welded it back together and found that this was what had been causing the slop in the  shifter. And after all this, I think it would still be comparable with a tractor ;)

Some pics and hope this is of some help:

file-119.jpg

file-100.jpg

5b864910-3029-41d6-9759-532aab95ac0b.jpg

552d114d-d39f-414e-bfdf-049ada4858b3.jpg

Poly Bushes

image-3.jpg

Remains of original coupler bushes:

image-1-1.jpg

Thanks, helps heaps. Still think the Wevo needs to go in. Aesthetics.

I think my plan of attack is going to be coupler and linkage bushes first, definitely trans oil ASAP, check clutch adjustment ASAP, see what difference those make.

I presume that the engine and trans mounts are reasonable as the engine was replaced around 20 - 30,000 k ago but might order some sport type mounts just in case it was a budget job.

Today I removed most of the old air conditioning compressor mount as it was all still attached. Where do those big air con rubber hoses go? Pretty sure they are surplus now and might be next to get the flick.

Archived