Original Colour....... Worth the expense??

Hey All,

Well, it has been just over a week since I took possession of my new girl.

I've been terrorising my local area and she's still going as strong as the day I picked her up.

Sure, I've found a few gremlins, but totally expected to with a car of this age. Nothing that can't be sorted with a bit of time and patience.

As some of you may have read in a former post, this girl left the factory a different colour than she is now.....

Originally, she was "Bamboo", and now she is "Red".

So, my question is....... To paint or not to paint?? 

Now, I'm not saying that I want to spend the money doing so, but I'm interested to know if it would increase the value / desirability of this beautiful machine if it was totally original as factory delivered.

For those of you who aren't aware, she was Aussie delivered, matching numbers non sunroof coupe.

I'm going to call Harry at PCV this week to try to find out how many of this colour were delivered, but I'm guessing that it was very few.....

It is very easy to find thousands of pictures of red ones worldwide, but only a handful in "Bamboo".

Now, I know that colour is subjective, so I have attached photos of how she is today and the colour she was delivered......

Any and all opinions are encouraged......

Thanks in advance.....

How it looks today.....

How it was delivered....

I say dare to be different , and some aspects of a car's originality are worth pursuing...in time all these well preserved vintage machines will be collectible. As for 'sellability" , I doubt very much you would get a return on your investment , as the unusual colour reduces the pool of interested parties. So you may be waiting quite a while for the right buyer should you decide to move the vehicle on.

How is the current paint? As you know preparation is the main cost of a repaint. Was it a doors shut or glass out repaint , and did they do the luggage and engine compartment? A 1/2 done paint job in my eyes - reduces the value.

Bamboo is cool , but generally not if you're a 20 something year old boulevardier. I say generally , because there are a few of the next generation who show pretty good taste. They of course get that from their parents  :rolleyes:

You'll get a few opinions here!

I don't think I have ever seen a 911 in that colour before, looks great - very fitting for the era. As mentioned above, to do it 'properly' is a big job and as a result pretty $$$$!

Hard to say if you would get this back come sale time, if you paid more than 30k for the car and plan to sell it in the close future probably not. I'd just continue to drive it and enjoy!

I didn't plan to buy a red one, but it has its appeal. 

original colour is definitely a winner. New seals and clean up all the back trims and the colour will pop out like below.

10345779_10152023225057330_1010138863261

porsche+2+0011135730764.jpg

That's purdy

Ok early 911's and 912's in orig colour factory or repaint adds value to most buyers, not all. Whether you get the 10-20k back on a repaint is debatable. Guess the same can apply for the later cars.

Odd unusual colours are cool again (well most) and the above I like

Thanks for the replies so far......

In answer to some above queries:

The current paint is in remarkable condition. It polishes up great and looks like a million dollars. 

It seems to have had a glass out red paint job as it is in the entire engine bay as well as the "boot area".

Oddly enough, the Bamboo is still on the floor pans under the carpets. It is worn away under there but its not red. It is painted everywhere else. 

I don't think that I would spend the money right now, I'm more interested to know if a rare colour like this one would be worth spending the money on and if it would enhance the appeal / value / resale of the car. 

BTW, I always wanted a red one so I'm happy with it the way it is.....

I am about to embark on a full rotisserie total strip paint job to change colour (interior, boots, inner guards, underbody). As quozl and I are debating offline, where do you stop?

Unless you are building a nut and bolt concours car you will just be flushing your money. People fussy enough that want it original bamboo will pick your car to bits on other faults.

It sounds like you have a really nice car with a pretty through repaint still in good nic, so just enjoy it as is.

Sound like it was done correctly so enjoy her while she is red. When the time comes (10-20years from now) and if you are in the financial position to do so take her back to original. 15-20k for a respray (keeping her red) or 30+ for a full colour change, new rubbers etc.

I do like the Bamboo.

Being as I'm currently going through a back to original colour transformation now on my 912 (white to OG black), the only way I would change the colour of yours is if the current paint job was crap.

Mine was probably painted with white house paint and a potato, and had some body issues, and I WAS going to just sand it back and do a blow over job in white to get it rego'd until we found out the original colour was Black.

From my limited experience with removing paint back to bare metal, I would strongly advise to leave it as it is. It's a shit of a job unless you do it outdoors or pay someone else to do it. I did mine in my shed with a grinder and many poly discs. It wasn't fun!

Having heard various ridiculous prices for a colour change, like $50 to $60k for a 911/912, it isn't worth the money for future value.

I'm paying bugger all for my bodywork and paint, as I have mates that I have done work for nothing, yet if I had to pay full price (e.g. Rip off!), I'd sell the car now and buy something else.

Being as I'm currently going through a back to original colour transformation now on my 912 (white to OG black), the only way I would change the colour of yours is if the current paint job was crap.

Mine was probably painted with white house paint and a potato, and had some body issues, and I WAS going to just sand it back and do a blow over job in white to get it rego'd until we found out the original colour was Black.

From my limited experience with removing paint back to bare metal, I would strongly advise to leave it as it is. It's a shit of a job unless you do it outdoors or pay someone else to do it. I did mine in my shed with a grinder and many poly discs. It wasn't fun!

Having heard various ridiculous prices for a colour change, like $50 to $60k for a 911/912, it isn't worth the money for future value.

I'm paying bugger all for my bodywork and paint, as I have mates that I have done work for nothing, yet if I had to pay full price (e.g. Rip off!), I'd sell the car now and buy something else.

what he said.

i did a plain closed door respray on mine, and it was a chore.

to change the colour, properly, is a big job, and will show up many other "while you're there and it's apart" jobs..

The Bamboo looks great. So does the red. If it doesn't need to be painted then I would leave it until it does. As said above to do it properly is pretty exy and unless it needs it I wouldn't bother.

Worth the expense to who? You or a prospective buyer? Are you going to sell at some stage?

I'd leave it as is and wait until it needs a paint job.

I think there's a 3.2 in Brisbane in that colour

Thanks Guys,

After all is said and done, I don't think at this stage I would seriously consider spending that kind of coin on a re-spray. The current paint is in amazing condition and there is no real need to change it.

I think I am just curious to know if originality means higher price / more collectability.

After doing a bit more research, I found out that Bamboo Beige was only made for 2 years - 1981 & 1982. There don't seem to be an awful lot made according to posts on other sites.

Not sure if that adds to value or collectability.....

No, I dont have any plans to sell it.......

When you get tired of the redhead, go bamboo blonde - it'll feel like you're dating a new woman!

But as said above....making sure the carpets match the drapes is key to pulling it off!

Oh and yeah, I'd prefer it blonde...but it's your ride!

I quite like the bamboo. As the 12th man said, should I go the cream, the beige, the bone or the off white?

You won't get a return for your investment as good paint and prep is very expensive. Maybe in years to come you would consider going back to the original colour.

Nice example by the way, good buy.

What colour is the interior?

Hi Norm,

The interior is brown, brown, brown and more brown.

The seats are leather (have a guess what colour) and the front ones are starting to show signs of wear.

The rest of the interior (dash, door trims, rear seats, carpet, headliner, etc ) are in above average condition........ 

• 2 weeks later...

So, for all of you that were following this thread, I have an update on the colour "Bamboo" from Harry at PCV.

It seems that in 1981, there were 53 coupes delivered in Aus. and only 2 x Bamboo coloured 911's were delivered..... (that includes every model of 911).

In 1982 there were 58 coupes and 0 x Bamboo ones delivered (across every model)......

It was only made in those two years.....

Q:   Does that make it a more desirable / rare / sort after car due to the low numbers (assuming it was still that colour), or does desirability / value relate to personal taste in colour?

Either way, I still feel that it's a special car............

Q:   Does that make it a more desirable / rare / sort after car due to the low numbers

no. white, black, silver and resale red are popular because they are more desired. bamboo is a niche colour, rare yes, but will not make it any more desireable than a 911 in the aforementioned colours (buyers will be going on the car as a whole; colour is one facet).

i've barely seen any 911's in amethyst metallic either, but i know that's because it's a bit out there and when new not many people would have ticked that option box.. :)

both colours are cool, and help differentiate from the pack, i'd respray it bamboo over a perfectly good paintjob if i hated money :P

i'd look at doing it once the current paint is looking a bit sorry, that'd be the opportunity to do it imo! doesn't make sense to tear up a perfectly good paint job.

Archived