Fuel: What's your fueling policy

There are many of us who do not use out P-Cars as regular drivers which means the car could be parked up for a while as life's other priorities get in the way.

There are a couple of fueling policies that I hear people using,

1. Based on fuel going off in as few as a couple of weeks, some park their car up with a quarter of a tank of fuel, or less, and then fuel up before driving.  This strategy ensures freshest fuel and maximum octane,
  2. Other park their car up with a full tank to minimise empty space in the tank and thereby reduce water condensation and accumulation.  Some will also use a fuel additive/stabilizer.

I guess it does depend on how long you car might be parked up for but I would be interested in hearing what others do.

Doug

go on an SMT that you've organised yourself, and realise that you haven't taken enough fuel to complete the trip...

oh wait..

I think premium has a better shelf life than standard 91/95 RON fuel, like 6 weeks or something? so I leave it with usually a 1/4 tank or so and top up every time I drive it to mix it up a bit (and then have to find an excuse to use some fuel)

not really, I've pulled cars out of paddocks with really stale fuel and run them on it - but that was in the olden days of "bad" fuel. I don't know how long you'd have to leave it for it to really be a running problem, I would assume it would corrode the inside of your tank though

might explain the garbage that clogged my fuel filter last time. I am planning on pulling my tank and using that Por15 fuel tank kit to seal the inside when I'm back from the scotch night

if fuel longevity in stored vehicles is a worry to anyone I'd suggest checking out fuel stabilisers like Sta-bil, I've got a few mates that swear by it.

I drive mine at least twice a week so stale fuel isnt an issue. But I don't like running it down below 1/4.

I've had high performance engines for 25+ years. I had a couple of ski boats (one with a big hp small block check and the other with a not quite as big hp 308 stroker). The fuel sometimes sat in the tank for a few months. My Camaro 400+ hp - well the fuel never stayed in long enough to even give off fumes.

Stale fuel has never seemed to be an issue. I think sometimes we get a bit precious about some of these things.

Full tank of 98 octane fuel making sure the fuel has no ethanol additives.

(Sitting for extended periods the fuel and ethanol can separate, ethanol attracts water meaning that any moisture or condensation is drawn to it and you have problems)

Modern fuel is fine for storage for months and a full tank minimises any condensation risk.

I would assume it would corrode the inside of your tank though

might explain the garbage that clogged my fuel filter last time. I am planning on pulling my tank and using that Por15 fuel tank kit to seal the inside when I'm back from the scotch night

That's my biggest concern, the potential for corrosion.

If i ever need to store my car (usually when toying with the engine) i like to have the least amount of fuel in the tank possible. 

When it's time to turn her on, I will drain the fuel (usually have 10L or less in there) into a 20L jerry can and usually take it to work and feed it to the forklift (cant now since e85) and go full up another jerry can with new fuel and fill up the tank. 

Start her up, let it idle until you're sure the fresh fuel has mixed or has made it to the rail. 

Off you go :)

I'm not a fan of additives. 

If it was before an SMT, i'd do that the night before. then drive the car and brim it. 

having recently stored my vehicles for 12 months I found on re commissioning that the 993 stored with a full tank, zero problems,no pinging so the fuel did not go off to any noticeable extent. One of my bikes had about a third of a tank which created issues. The fuel line coming from the bottom of the fuel pump that was submersed  was in perfect condition, however the non submersed return line in the top of the tank had turned to black muck, from the fumes /vapour I can only assume. the half submerged pump had also seized and needed replacing, the fuel remnants in the injector rail had turned to jelly. all good now but for the sake of a few litres of fuel sitting around it cost me a few days work and a decent wad of cash to put right. I would highly recommend storing vehicles with a full tank

Store with low fuel, fill up with fresh fuel prior to running it for me.

That is what I do as well ^^

Generally I know how much driving I am going to do before I do it and I'll fill up enough for the run. 

Guest Harold

Fuel in a closed (sealed) container has a shelf life of 6 months before there is any erosion to its efficacy. In my boat, which is diesel, we hold 3700 litres and the trick is to keep the tank full to avoid condensation. We also put additive in and have water traps. Mind you, blowed if I know what on earth that has to do with a Porsche. Gee my mind wanders a lot these days, now where's that medicine?

I had a diesel ride-on that grew algae in the tank as a result of water in the fuel. The previous owner filled it from jerry cans. I know petrol doesn't have this issue, but it made me think of how water can enter the tank.

Since then I refill my tank before putting the vehicle away to minimize condensation. Cars a machinery. I will not use a jerry can at all.

There are a few articles regarding long term fuel storage. In brief, a sealed full container in cool conditions is best, up to 12mnths. The 98 lasts better than the others. In a vehicle fuel tank where it suffers evaporation it will deteriorate sooner, up to 6mnths.

Archived