Question for my Mexican brothers. Where to live?

Uncle

So I'm looking at a job in Victoria. 90% of the time I'd be in the Scoresby office the other 10% all over Vic. 

I'm thinking we would either sell or rent out our house in Newcastle and buy another house down there. With that in mind what locations should I be looking at?

These are my not set in stone but ballpark requirements.

5 to 600k'ish price. I'm ok with less if it needs work. My wife loves doing renovation stuff. Me less so but I'll still get my hands dirty. 

I like the quite life when not at work. More rural that cafe hipster.

Yard for my little bloke to play in.

Shed or garage for me to play in.

I don't want to spend my life in a car going to or from work. 30 or 40 minute drive is ok but no more. 

Prolly other stuff that I've not thought of but that's a start. 

Thoughts?

There are some nice pockets around there, possibly worth finding a rental for 6/12 months allowing you to have an explore - Also great proximity to our usual SMT meeting location!

Won't take you long to settle into the Melbourne hipster lifestyle. Keep growing that beard.

Scoresby is well located for the Eastern link and Mnash freeway.

Personally I would rent down here and get the lie of the land and also gives you time to look around and familiarise youself with the various surburbs.

With stamp duty being what it is you don't really want to buy and then realise you are not happy with the place.

With stamp duty being what it is you don't really want to buy and then realise you are not happy with the place.

I think I've bought my last place. Much better things to spend money on than state governments desire to fill buildings with busy-work.

Scoresby is actually within your price range. Parents are in Scoresby and I grew up there. Not that far from freeways, nearby are some major shopping centers. Down the road heads into the hills for some fun on the twisties. It's suburb but not too busy and not hipsterish. Roads are still 80 around there for now compared to a lot of roads which are being reduced down to 60 or 70k.

Otherwise Ferntree Gully would be your next bet in that range. Which is a few minutes further down the road and closer to the hills.

There's a good selection of properties in the areas around Scoresby.  Rowville thru to Lysterfield and Ferntree Gully has a lot of newer houses built in the last 15 years. Downside for this region is the poor public transport. Nearest trains are Glen Waverley, Dandenong or north to FTG or Bayswater.  If you're after a more rural setting head SE for Belgrave Sth or Narre Warren North area.  If you want some altitude The Basin thru to Olinda is an easy drive to Scoresby.  Plenty of options.  

Renting first is a great idea to get a feel for what you like before committing.  Happy house hunting.

Great to hear you're coming south of the border Martin, can't add to the 'burb convo but you'll be within close proximity of at least one significant Pcar workshop, and plenty of twisties!

Plus, I'm about to go and select myself a very fine single malt (thanks to youngest son's celebration of his patriarch) so the prospect of a scotch night certainly speaks as well!

Congrats - $500-600k aint going to get you anything close to the city - 20-40 km range perhaps. Wheelers Hill / Scoresby / Mulgrave / Rowville (wouldn't go any further out due to no public transport. Bayside Vic - quick run to the office Patterson Lakes / Carrum / Chelsea - all older areas - most houses will need a renovation.

Yeah I don't want close to the city. To be honest I'd like as much space as I can get with neighbours as far away as I can get them lol. 30 minute drive to work is just fine. Gives me time to think and plan. Same for the drive home. Some time to reflect on the day and your actions is a good thing before getting home to Dad jobs and house jobs. 

Archived