1990 964 C2 Brisbane - Upgrades and Engine Drop

Mike D'Silva

Sounds like a dead cell or 2..... will take what the alternator gives it but wont actually charge or hold it ..... your car probably needs the full power from a good battery to keep running .... other cars will still run fine with a dead cell or 2 ....

Keep up the good work .... we are all enjoying your exploits ...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Mike very impressed, although not much cleaning and painting going on:)

Dreamr is correct about the battery some cars will run when flat others won't, I found this out the hard act on one of my bikes. Apparently the electronic ignition (some)needs a minimum voltage to operate.

You will get more confidence in the cars reliability the longer you have/drive it, thats if it does not break down again of course:)

Here is a picture of a $220 hose...

It is the pressure line that comes out of the power steering pump. Mine seems to be wet so I figure it needs replacing. The hose itself under the sheath is moist so I am hoping it wasn't just the bit nut needing nipping up!

Will let you know how it progresses and will update this post accordingly.

DSC04007_zpsf3cfaf61.jpg

Here is a picture of a $220 hose...

It is the pressure line that comes out of the power steering pump. Mine seems to be wet so I figure it needs replacing. The hose itself under the sheath is moist so I am hoping it wasn't just the bit nut needing nipping up!

Will let you know how it progresses and will update this post accordingly.

DSC04007_zpsf3cfaf61.jpg

I hope for your own future sanity you are not keeping tabs on what you're spending , keep the posts coming

My engine lid would only stay up sometimes...

Others it would hit me on the head.. so I ended up carrying a piece of wood around as a prop (much to my girlfriends amusement).

Got some of the stabilus hood shocks from Pelican Parts.. I've ordered so much stuff, that Wayne and I are on first name terms now..  :rolleyes:

Replacing these is a very rewarding and not that hard job. I found that the only tools I used were long nose pliers and perhaps a magnetic pick up tool. 

- lift up rear lid and use precision cut piece of wood to prop it up

- remove whole aircleaner assembly to give you space to work

- after having a good look at the clip, you just lift up the "tang" and push it off the pin.

I found that doing this by feel is the best way. Working carefully, you can slide the pin off and catch it all with the one hand.

Then I used the needle nose pliers to tap on the end of the pin, while wiggling the engine lid, to get the pin to slide out.. when it slid out half way, I switched to the other side of the pin, grabbed it with the pliers, and pulled it out while wiggling the lid again. 

Porsches seem to need a lot of wiggling.

This was so easy! Then I realised I installed the shock below the p/steering or oil line.. so I had to take it off again.

With my new found confidence, I proceeded to flick the clip off and drop it somewhere on the top of the engine.

Great.

5 minutes of fishing around with a magnet gave me nothing.. at first I thought it might have gotten swallowed up by the intake, but the butterfly stopped that...

Lucky I ordered a few clips from Wayno in anticipation of this happening.

The passenger side was interesting since I had to remove the blower motor.. which in itself is also a very very easy task.

Anyway, after donating yet another clip to the engine bay, this is what you get...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnbS3jRajA&feature=youtu.be

Nice story. Doing your own work is very rewarding, even if it does take 5 trips to Bunnings to buy the tools, 2 hours research on the Internet and spending 3 times what you would have paid a qualified Porsche mechanic to do the same job :)

Nice story. Doing your own work is very rewarding, even if it does take 5 trips to Bunnings to buy the tools, 2 hours research on the Internet and spending 3 times what you would have paid a qualified Porsche mechanic to do the same job :)

yep!

that's pretty much the mathematical formula I have arrived at for doing stuff to my own vehicles.

The pimp white interior in my car is a bit soiled.. so I borrowed a Britex carpet cleaner from Bunnings...

I removed the seats to find some nice 20 year old Coke, cigarette butts and nearly $5 in coin.. there was no rattling of loose change as the coke was decent enough to keep everything firmly stuck in place.

Whilst the Britex didnt get all the really deep stains out, I am impressed by how effective it was. The water that came out was kinda like mud....

Before

DSC01867_zps717685d5.jpg

After

DSC01874_zps1d1bf747.jpg

passenger side before

DSC01877_zps3e64e24b.jpg

passenger side after

DSC01883_zpsf2383ac8.jpg

DSC01880_zpsb318a180.jpg

DSC01888_zps0fbfa14f.jpg

Anyone got some idea where in Brisbane to get rims stripped, repaired and painted? Just scored a set of cup1 replicas from Tit (thanks mate!) and looking at changing the colour...

What do people think about rim colour? I know it's personal but I'm thinking along the lines of a metallic gold like WRX STI, or even a bronze colour like that fella from AMMO NYC...

ammonycrimscolour_zpsa54bc09f.jpg

bronzerim_zps50b772d6.jpg

As a new 964 owner and someone who is keen to do a lot of the work myself, I'm very impressed with your thread.

I have the same colour interior and just got a quote for $240 to steam clean it.

Thanks for the Bunnings tip, will be hitting this up on Saturday and doing the same!

Keep up the good work and keep the posts coming.

BTW, I like Larry's (Ammo NYC) set up with the gold wheels.

Not sure if I would do it myself but it does look good!

Archived