Why was guards red so popular?

tazzieman

For better or for worse I have a 944 in that oh so subtle shade.

Very few non-sporting men wear red as a fashion statement.

Was it a screaming 80s "look at me" statement? Or were people trying to take on Ferrari? (whose shades of red are in fact many , there is no "Ferrari red"...

Well Harvs you may have a point ; men are pretty shallow in that reguard.

Often I look at mine and it kinda looks...red.

Sometimes tomato red , sometimes arterial blood red.

Never does it remind me of a woman in a red dress.

Luckily the fashionista who bought it specced an all black interior. Imagine white , lol!

GR944.jpg

I think a lot of it has to do with the 80's posters ...... well for that generation anyway.

Alot of us have mentioned them in past posts and most of them had the red cars featured .... so thats carried on into adulthood than onto the offspring "Yeah son, I always wanted a red one of those" or "Look at that Porsche ... it looks alot better in red"

I know that if I had a 944, I would want a red one, and look at the colour of my 911 ........ (with fuchs being the only option for wheels)

Subliminal advertising at its best!

That was 1987 Russ. What about the much earlier ones?

Edit : no Porsches in that movie? http://www.imcdb.org/movie_94291-Wall-Street.html

I was more referring to stockbrokers in braces, rather than Wall Street. seemed to be their most popular colour

but below is Josh Shapiro who worked for the real 'wolf of wall street' lol

shapiro2.jpg

To be honest I didn't want a red one...................just happened like that. I've grown to like it though.

Again although not my first choice I have seen guards red 911's that I like, and some that I don't...like any colour I suppose, if the car is mint it will grow on you...

Why was guards red so popular?

This is why...

image001_6.jpg

I'm sure most of us have had a picture of a guards red 930 on our bedroom wall at some point...it's iconic.

To me guards red is THE colour to have for an impact bumper 911. Funnily enough when I was looking for a 964, when asked what colour I wanted my reply was, "anything but red!"

For me, I think it was the poster thing and for me gaurds red only seems to suit the 70's and 80's cars. I love them in many other colours too, like mexico blue and others, but mine was always going to be gaurds red. Maybe if I saw a black one in good condition before I found mine, I would have gone with that, as all Porsches(of any age) look awesome in black but I just wasn't looking for black.

Archived