from what I can find:

nsk%2520bearing.JPG

62 = metric light

04 = bore size

DU = single contact seal

17 ... don't know what 17 means.

And:

nsk%2520du.JPG

DU = Contact rubber seal, on one side only.  one side only?

And operating temperatures:

nsk%2520bearing%2520Operating%2520temp.J

note 100°C limit on operating temperatures on that seal .....

Hmmm, can we say this is a weird bearing to be using in that application??

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, help me out here, say I am looking at this car:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=AGC-AD-14310168

And it's VIN is: WP0ZZZ99Z5S701374

I put that into the IMS porsche settlement website:  http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/porsche-vin/

and I get:

Summary:Model: Porsche 911 (997)
Manufacture Year: 2005
Assembly Plant: Stuggart
Last Five Digits: 01374
Conclusion:This is not a Class Vehicle.

Does this mean this 997 has the larger updated IMS bearing? i.e. the class action is for the smaller IMS bearing that fails?

I put that into the IMS porsche settlement website:  http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/porsche-vin/

and I get:

Does this mean this 997 has the larger updated IMS bearing? i.e. the class action is for the smaller IMS bearing that fails?

Is it for U.S. (different VIN than R.O.W. cars) delivered vehicles only??? In other words will it only accept U.S. vin numbers....

Good question orion.

Well, I just put in my VIN and made a mistake on the third digit putting in a O for Oscar.  

It did not accept it and told me the third digit should be a zero.   So put that in and it came back with the right information and then said ...NOT A CLASS VEHICLE....

So I would say it recognises Aust or ROW cars..

Oh No...does that mean it was a waste of time and spondoolies getting mine done???????

I hadn't seen that site before....

Mine comes out as a class vehicle, however, when I look at the VIN list, I'm not on it.  Plus, it says that only cars up to 10 years old or 130,000 miles are accepted.  So I'm out by age.

Niko if you aren't part of the settlement, that is more likely to mean you have the double row bearing also due to your cars age. My understanding was that the majority of cars in this action were all single row bearing cars.  

I might be wrong, but that was my understanding.

and I get:

Possibly means that. Only way to know 100% is to pull everything out and have a look. For this car, I think that means engine out! 

In order to get the single row bearing you would need to buy a very early built 997. For example my 987 with its flimsy bearing was built in November 2004.  My car was a Porsche Melbourne car - so I'd say it was probably used to show everyone the new Boxster 2.7l.

Matt at Weltmeister said he was suprised my car had the serviceable bearing.  Weltmeister have a lot of experience with IMS failure. Might be worth your while popping in there and speaking to either Matt or Ben, they are both super helpful and know what they are talking about.  Matt does speak like a bit of a salesman at times, but that's what he also does, sells Porsches. 

Yep, thanks A, Your probably right, still have to check what my replacement one is though when I speak with JOCARO.

I really have given up worrying about it anymore.   What is and what I have is it.   Interesting subject though.

Thats it Niko.  It is what it is.  These cars are far too good to spend your time worrying about them.  Go in with an open mind, be educated on what you can do to prevent the known failure, do the preventive maintenance and just enjoy the car!

That's what I'm doing!

well from this info .... I'll say that the cars younger than the class action would most likely be a larger single bearing, i.e. the final version of the IMS bearing, And I should get a PPI done to check it all out, then drive the car often, get the oil nice and hot, change the oil more frequently than the 2 years, and enjoy the car.

There's just so many different stories on the internet about when they swapped from small single bearing to larger single bearing, it's confusing.

well from this info .... I'll say that the cars younger than the class action would most likely be a larger single bearing, i.e. the final version of the IMS bearing, And I should get a PPI done to check it all out, then drive the car often, get the oil nice and hot, change the oil more frequently than the 2 years, and enjoy the car.

There's just so many different stories on the internet about when they swapped from small single bearing to larger single bearing, it's confusing.

That Lorbeks car looks awesome - get amongst it already :)

Yeah, but is it rocket surgery??

Young friend of mine has converted part of a locally decommissioned ("send it to the tip") brainlab http://www.brainlab.com/media-gallery/brainlab-stories into the brain/control arm of an 800kg , 40 yr old Czechoslovakian milling machine he bought from Newcastle. Mechanical engineers can work real magic. 

I should get a PPI done to check it all out, then drive the car often, get the oil nice and hot, change the oil more frequently than the 2 years

Havent been on here for a while, hi all  :)  Unfortunately the approach above is just not going to cut it.  If you have the earlier bearing it will fail, it wont matter how you drive it, how you look after it, its just a game of when, not if.  Seriously take some advice from someone $15k poorer, if you have one just book it in and get it changed or if you are thinking of buying one factor $2k into the price and do it immediately.

Btw they are an awesome car, I still absolutely love driving mine (and yes Amanda I am giving it the welly now) but they just have some issues.  They are a mechanical machine after all, designed by humans..

Havent been on here for a while, hi all  :)  Unfortunately the approach above is just not going to cut it.  If you have the earlier bearing it will fail, it wont matter how you drive it, how you look after it, its just a game of when, not if.  Seriously take some advice from someone $15k poorer, if you have one just book it in and get it changed or if you are thinking of buying one factor $2k into the price and do it immediately.

Btw they are an awesome car, I still absolutely love driving mine (and yes Amanda I am giving it the welly now) but they just have some issues.  They are a mechanical machine after all, designed by humans..

Pleased to hear you are enjoying the car again.  I think i can say that 'we all' really felt your pain when that happened. Pleased to hear that you are giving it the welly now!

Whip it whip it!

:D  :)

Unfortunately the approach above is just not going to cut it.  If you have the earlier bearing it will fail, it wont matter how you drive it, how you look after it, its just a game of when, not if. 

Whilst I can completely understand your resentment at having had an engine failure I'm afraid that I can't sit here and accept your comments as being valid, the above statement is simply not true. Some engines will fail due to IMS but to suggest that they will all fail is being alarmist. (aside from the fact that every engine on the planet will fail eventually) I agree that  the risk with the 996 is higher than it ought to be within the expected life time of the engine and that is why I did change my IMS bearing at 100,000kms (on inspection it was perfectly fine). My other 996 had around 160,000kms on the clock and it was running like a champion when I sold it.

Archived