996/7 IMS Failure

Red3.2

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think your right there, but honestly I have just about given up trying to get a handle on this issue.

It seems to change over time. With different info from different sources.

I think your definitely on the good side of the problem though.

I,d be seriously looking at the car and block out the IMS issue so as not to cloud your judgement.

I think you would know most of us here would go for the PPI if you are thinking of going ahead but that won't help with the IMS issue.

Good luck with it

That is not such a bad idea, I am sure if insurance companies stirred up the rumour mill on the problem and then offered a policy specifically for that they would not only make money get plenty of worried clients and in reality rarely pay out on a claim. Depending on policy cost but they would probably get me, especially before I did the retrofit.

The whole issue seems to me a bit like marrying a used (wo)man who owns an axe. You don't know if she is the one in the crowd who will go ape at you. The best insurance is to get rid of the axe, or sleep with one eye open  :wacko: Or (see air cooled forum)

The whole issue seems to me a bit like marrying a used (wo)man who owns an axe. You don't know if she is the one in the crowd who will go ape at you. The best insurance is to get rid of the axe, or sleep with one eye open  :wacko: Or (see air cooled forum)

What a crack up of a comparison... :lol::blink:

Or get a GT Mezger engined car.

The whole issue seems to me a bit like marrying a used (wo)man who owns an axe. You don't know if she is the one in the crowd who will go ape at you. The best insurance is to get rid of the axe, or sleep with one eye open :wacko: Or (see air cooled forum)

Disturbing analogy... But I like it! :lol:

Next time I'm in Tassie for the Targa I'm coming around to your house, definately need to meet someone with this sense of humour, great stuff.

• 7 months later...

I had the IMS bearing replaced in my 996 last week. It's a May 2000 built Australian delivered Carrera 4 with 76,000km and a full Porsche service history (until last week). It was replaced with an LN kit.

The car had a factory double rows IMS and it was in perfect condition. The rear main seal was "damp" but not leaking. Clutch was also replaced but probably had 10-20k left in it.

Cheers

Dave

Can i ask what it cost please and did you buy the tool as well or did your shop have it already.

Feel free to PM if you'd rather not post it here.

Just trying to get my head around doing this job if it is necessary. 

Thanks for any info

Cheers Al

Check this out from PELICAN Al.    

Suggest you also probably get your self a cool refresher, sit down, and go back to the start of this thread.  Lots of good info and some good photos. :)   

You will hopefully come out of it at the end a bit wiser as to the problem and how to rectify it. :wacko:

I had mine done in the Coxster which is a tip, and it was around $2300.00 to have done. :(    

But oohhh how I sleep like a baby now. :D

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm?utm_source=pelican_porschenewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140416

Hope this helps to clear it up ...or completely confuse you.

Bottom line....Cheap Insurance.  

Either do it yourself ..if you can...or bite the bullet and have it done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I dropped into T & D Automotive in Brisbane to ask a couple of questions relating to maintenance on my 2003 996 C2.  

I asked about getting the IMS done.  I was told that the new best option is a DOF (direct oil fed) like this  http://shop.tunersmotorsports.com/?product=direct-oil-feed-dof-97-05-early-style

Was basically told not to worry about just replacing the bearing because it can still fail?  Which I guess is true, but the chances dramatically reduced.    Any thoughts on the DOF?

First I've heard about the Tuners Motorsport DOF but it's only new.  Worth researching further.

I've been considering this alternative http://theimssolution.com/ which is the same principle but removes the bearing and has no moving parts.

Actually, that was probably the one they were talking about. They did mention that there was a bush, rather than a bearing. Any idea on the price?

No idea on price but I was planning to get to T&D later this year for a quote and to see what they think.  You've done half that for me :rolleyes: .   I've have a sense it could be anywhere between $2300 and $3500 depending on whether you want to replace other parts (clutch, etc) whilst the transmission is out.

Looking at getting it done in Jan 2015.

Archived