996/7 IMS Failure

Red3.2

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking any replacement is a good replacement, which ever way, it should be done if you want to sleep at night.

Just a matter of how much you want to pay, and the current replacements are "probably" getting better than the previous replacements but only time will tell..

Good luck with it..

No idea on price but I was planning to get to T&D later this year for a quote and to see what they think.  You've done half that for me :rolleyes: .   I've have a sense it could be anywhere between $2300 and $3500 depending on whether you want to replace other parts (clutch, etc) whilst the transmission is out.

Looking at getting it done in Jan 2015.

I'm going back in the next month or so for a service, so will find out more then.  Will keep you posted.

Looking at the DOF direct oil feed system you could simply fit it and leave the original bearing in place.

Choices...hmmm

Don't think so since the old bearing can disintegrate and put bits of metal and plastic all through the engine

• 4 weeks later...

So, my new to me 996 is currently in for the IMS upgrade and I just got told Im very very lucky. The bearing is in the worst shape they've ever seen and could have let go at any time. Bloody Hell! Here's me thinking the odds of it letting go in 1 week of ownership are tiny. $2,000 just saved me a new motor and my marriage! I'm off to buy a lottery ticket... or is that all my luck already used up??? I'll post some pics when I get some.

Well dodged Simon ; no doubt your experience will send a few shivers through the guys who haven't done the fix. As you say , you've avoided an expensive spanner in the works. Now you can go and drive the wheels off it!

Was the car babied in a previous life? 

Well done Simon, you have definitely dodged the bullet. You can sleep peacefully now.

Always said .....it probably won't happen to you....but..........for those still "thinking about doing it" Just do it...

Cheap insurance policy.

I think the car has been babied so it was a prime candidate. I said that to the mechanic this morning and its been a weight on my shoulders this last week. It's only done about 7,000kms in the last 18 months. Previous owner is pretty thankful.

So, my new to me 996 is currently in for the IMS upgrade and I just got told Im very very lucky. The bearing is in the worst shape they've ever seen and could have let go at any time. Bloody Hell! Here's me thinking the odds of it letting go in 1 week of ownership are tiny. $2,000 just saved me a new motor and my marriage! I'm off to buy a lottery ticket... or is that all my luck already used up??? I'll post some pics when I get some.

What kit are they using Simon?

Pretty sure it's the LN Engineering bearing. One of the Jocaro customers here could confirm.

JOCARO done mine and unless they have changed their ways, that,s what it will be.

They did a great job, very happy.

So this is what these troublesome buggers look like moments before destruction. Obviously I can't show you how much movement it has but you can see the metal shavings which have come from the self destructing bearings. This is a double row bearing. Engine has been flushed twice to make sure none of this junk is flying around in there. Very grateful for my decision and now looking forward to some stress free motoring.

14664973731_aae64dcb9e_c.jpg
IMG_2533 by Simonk76, on Flickr

I was in at my mechanic this morning and saw a bearing exactly as you described being pulled out of a Boxster with a heap of play and the oil sump plug covered in filings and bearing material

made me think of this thread

• 4 weeks later...

A very interesting post in 6speedonline (from a US Porsche Service agent) that I thought I'd repost just to clarify my personal position:

------------------------------------

"The load capacity between the early dual row bearing on the up to 05 cars and the later larger single row bearing are the same. And as I said, a failure is extremely rare.

Supposedly the larger single row bearing may have an even lower than 1% failure rate but there's no accurate data on this that I've found. Occasionally I come across a person online who says they've had one fail but personally I've never met someone with a late 05-08 that had an IMS failure.

The overwhelming majority of IMS failures come from the smaller single row bearing in the early engines but even those are relatively rare. If you have one, simply replace it as a maintenance item and there's really no need to worry about it.

I havn't seen a 997 3.6 with an IMS failiure.

I actually havn't seen any documented 07-08's either.

05-06 3.8's IMS failures have been very well documents in multiple forums."

---------------------------------------------

Bout sums up my level of concern. Ah-men

Lots of different little surveys on these pesky things....

Porsche recently paying out on a group action, so no doubt the problem is there...and recognised.

Think it boils down to what my Superannuation Representative said to me when I pulled the pin some 7 years ago.... :ph34r:

He gave me certain choices, each choice reflected on how I was going to sleep at night....... :o

The choice I made with my super reflects on the choice I made with my IMS.    

I sleep good.... :D

If I had left mine and it went bang in 3 or 4 years time, I could probably have dealt with it knowing that I probably won't have suffered as much depreciation on the car as if I'd bought another HSV. But I couldn't risk it going in the first year or two as it would have caused some hurt. A $40k car would have turned into a $70k car and really wouldn't have gone down well. In the end it proved to be the right decision to replace it and I'm very thankful. 

I understand why many don't bother doing it though. There are so many European cars that  have inherent problems that can be catastrophic and we all run the gauntlet hoping it doesn't happen to us. The IMS isn't the only thing that can go wrong with these engines. So while I've sorted the IMS, it's not going to prevent scored cylinders or the problem Whipit had. Pick a BMW you like and google problems they have. You'll be avoiding any V8 model and the M3 with vanos. Steer clear of an E55 AMG unless you're happy to take out a second mortgage to run it. Even the BMW 320 diesel engine is junk according to the internet. Our Cayenne is a ticking time bomb apparently also with scored cylinders being a potential failure.

I'm happy to wear the supposedly <= 1% risk on my 3.8 '07. If it goes bang so be it. I'm not sure I could live with a 7% risk in the badly affected cars though, I think I'd have to get the IMS done in that case.

My bigger fear with Euro cars is the dual clutch gearbox letting go. It is supposedly a $22k replacement in a Q5 for example - yikes! Supposedly can't currently be repaired. Give me the 8 speeder ZF any day, it is perfect in the m235i.

Archived