996/7 IMS Failure

Red3.2

With that in mind I think I would lean towards the friction bearing retrofit, but as my car predates any of this I don't have a vested interest in it.

I hope it all works out well for everyone! As mentioned, it drags the marque down quite a lot which is a real shame.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, Amanda I am feeling your pain.   You would think this sort of thing with the fit up would be sorted.   Wouldn't you?????

Or even LM BEARING CO putting out a leaflet with the bearing telling you what else you need to do when replacing it for whichever models.

Maybe I am asking too much, but it is their solution, just finish it off with a "what else will need to be done when fitting" guideline.

Look forward to hearing that you have it back and all is good with the world....

Just to sort of add to this conversation, I wanted to find out if the retrofitted LN bearing I had done, was a single or double row bearing.

I emailed across to LN ENGINEERING, with the serial number of the bearing fitted to my car.

A disappointing answer from them was that they don't keep records of what model bearing the serial number relates to.  

That just amazes me! They put a unique serial number on the bearing for a reason. Identification.

And..........they are telling you they have no idea!!

Hope they do a better job with their answer to Amanda's little issue.

triple bearing upgrade:

"LN Engineering also offers a MY06-08 IMS Retrofit kit for the larger bearing found on model year 2006 through 2008 M97 engines, but engine disassembly is required for installation. LN Engineering also offers an IMS Upgrade service where you send in your intermediate shaft and it is upgraded to a triple row bearing (with exception of MY06-08)"

That just amazes me! They put a unique serial number on the bearing for a reason. Identification.

And..........they are telling you they have no idea!!

Hope they do a better job with their answer to Amanda's little issue.

Yeh I'm baffled by this too. So what does the serial number tell them then?  A manufacturer date so they can work out what batch it was made in?????  Absolutely ridiculous. Either they do know this information and can't be bothered looking it up or have some other reason for not disclosing it.  I don't understand this at all.

Doesn't leave me with much faith.

I just rang up to get a pay out figure on my finance :(  I think this thread has me very spooked!

EDIT - Also I just wanted to add that I feel for the mechanic doing the job, as they've clearly encounted something different to the 986 installs - makes me question the designer of the solution not the mechanics doing the install

I'd assume the serial number tells them date of manufacture for warranty claims and stock management/shelf life etc. (I don't think you're paying them to keep records of your engine repairs)

at the end of the day you've got a fix in there that is much better than the original option, get it fixed and drive your car and stop worrying about it.

I think these type of threads all over the internet hurt 996/997 and Boxster values quite a lot - there are a variety of fixes now and it's just another mistake Porsche made during manufacture (like nikasil linings, or expansion rates between magnesium/other metals or chain tensioners pre the 3.2 engine)

I'd assume the serial number tells them date of manufacture for warranty claims and stock management/shelf life etc. (I don't think you're paying them to keep records of your engine repairs)

at the end of the day you've got a fix in there that is much better than the original option, get it fixed and drive your car and stop worrying about it

Erm I think we are buying a product where the distributor/manufacturer SHOULD know what type of bearing relates to a particular serial number. Your comment about keeping records of engine repairs is a little short sighted IMHO.

why should they know that? are you paying them by the month to keep records of manufacture?

sure, it'd be nice if they did and probably the right thing to do - but they don't have to

When these retrofits are performed, the service manual is stamped with the serial number of the bearing. Now why would that be done if theres no other corresponding information on that said serial number?

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  I'm not alone in my thoughts on this either!

I know what your saying there Russ, but really a serial number should tell them what sort of bearing they have supplied, I would have thought.   I think as Amanda says it will give them batch numbers but ...anyway it is what it is.    I don't need them to keep records of my engine repairs I can do that.   How hard can it be....S/No so and so ....single row or double row......, I just think it is very ordinary.

Amanda, I am sure yours will be great when its finished, and you have definitely done the right thing.  

Sorry if I have said anything there to spook you, certainly not intended or justified if I did.

This IMS thing is like my beloved Bombers.....I just wish it would all go away...

I agree to a point Niko, that they should keep records and maybe they don't make a lot of them - but this data all has to go somewhere and someone has to pay to store it. They're probably a small company and only human at the end of the day - they may have forgotten to write down if they were dual/single row when they shipped them?

does anyone have a real world figure of total production of the affected engines vs. cases where IMS failure was the culprit? The internet is great for sharing information, but it does also blow a lot of things out of proportion

and Steamwulf had some great input on the thread - If I owned an engine susceptible to this I'd get the best replacement done and then drive it (and every service get the mechanic to put it on a hoist with a stethoscope and listen - as said earlier, bearings don't just fail - they make noise and other symptoms first)

Fair enough Russ, hear what your saying, but will remain a bit disappointed in LN ENGINEERING.

There are figures out there and it is a minority of failures.  But it is a fact it can happen.

Also agree the internet probably sends a lot of work to work shops around the world  and for putting the wind up some people (like me)

Probably never happen but.....   anyway I am not getting another one done, what is is what is.   Still be driving it and loving it.

Cheers mate.    

Fair enough Russ, hear what your saying, but will remain a bit disappointed in LN ENGINEERING.

There are figures out there and it is a minority of failures. But it is a fact it can happen.

Also agree the internet probably sends a lot of work to work shops around the world and for putting the wind up some people (like me)

Probably never happen but..... anyway I am not getting another one done, what is is what is. Still be driving it and loving it.

Cheers mate.

The estimates I've read multiple times now is 1% of double row bearings and 7-8% of single row bearings fail.

There is also evidence of failures of LN Engineering retrofit bearing failure. Two in Australia of the single row bearings. I heard that from the horses mouth.

Oh and Niko. No worries. The situation spooks me not individuals. I will feel better once I have a few thousand ks on my car.

LN themselves now admit to failures in their single row bearing replacement.

As for record keeping of serial numbers, that's just standard manufacturing practice and disappointing that they don't keep records in this day and age.

Thanks Orion, you seem to have the finger on the pulse there....

Maybe they did check my serial number and didn't want to tell me I have a single bearing fitted......maybe....

Unfortunately did not get the old one back, and yes hopefully they will let me know next time I am there.

Great to hear your ready to enjoy the weekend in the roadster..with the roof down....(and heater on if needed) 

Cheers Niko. I've asked for my bearing. I'll bring it along to one of our next car park meet ups so you can all look at it! And think up some use for this hunk of metal that effectively cost me $3500!

You should get it cast in lucite and made into a gearshift knob

Archived