What is it with PA and COA's?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oz930..what a strange answer from Germany.

A COA for me is a tine reference to show how the car left the factory. It surely has never been used as a proof of current car?

To clarify and separate my bit, the company reply is set in bold, the rest is my bit. 

I will modify the post so it is clearer

cheers

The old team have moved on ;  Porsche have grown very very successfully the past ten years and the old stuff has no place in the profit margin. Come on , it's a business for making money and they are doing very well. Classic Porsches are largely managed by independents and enthusiasts,  so why would you allow an individual to waste time on no , or low profit "initiatives" such as COA? I'm happy to be corrected!

With a tear in my eye I recall that Wheeler Dealers Jensen Interceptor episode where he goes to the original factory where they keep all the old records , and hands Mike a thick sheaf of the build details of his artisan-crafted machine. 

'Can I have it'?

"No, but you can have a copy"

Great stuff there.

I contacted Porsche (Germany) and received this reply (in it's entirety):

"Good morning Brian,

you can order the CoA from your local dealer/importer,

see information on the homepage www.porsche.com

best regards Marc

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche Aktiengesellschaft

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Stuttgart"

My bit:

To issue a certificate of authenticity "by mail" is both ludicrous and dangerous for the company issuing the the CoA leaving them wide open for a law suite. How does the the company issuing the CoA know that this "item" is still as is was when it left the factory or showroom without conducting a thorough inspection of the "item"?

In our case a VIN could be for an IB car but the car has been altered to 964 body kit, how would the company know? You supply a VIN, name, address etc, they supply a CoA for a vehicle sight unseen.  A purchaser comes along, sees a CoA from the company and thinks this is genuine then later finds out it is not.

Even aftermarket modifications were carried out on "items".  Does this still make it authentic or should the modifications be included under a "variance" paragraph?

Should older models have a CoA with a variance paragraph?

A CoA could issued when the car was new and would only be valid until the car was out of sight.

Cardex (build order) info is really all you need to find out how the car left the factory according to the VIN and this will confirm the originality or authenticity with reference to the VIN.

In essence its a nice piece of paper to have but it really doesn't mean a lot.

I think you're misunderstanding what the purpose of a CoA is.  It's a statement of how the car left the factory, fitted options and engine/gearbox numbers.  

If you're holding a CoA for a 1981 SC in Rosewood Metallic, with AC, 16 in wheels and Sporto, and you're looking at a Guards Red 964 with 5 speed and no AC, then you know the car isn't authentic.  

It's up to the buyer to look at the CoA and determine if the car still matches the description.  Of course, the only people who get them are those where the car still matches the description.  It's basically a way for the seller to state with some authority that the car is original.

Incidentally, Ferrari has started a service where they do take the car and compare it against production records and authenticity, and then issues a certificate (Ferrari Clastiche, I think?).  This increases the value of the car significantly, but the service costs a bomb.

Funny how both Porsche UK and USA are promoting these on their websites (for roughly $US110), but no mention at all on Aus website.....

Right...i know they are into making money, but if I had a business that could charge $110 for printing some A4 and posting it, I'd be all-in and actively chasing people to come in and get one.

Here's the update.

Harry is genuinely busy with his main role and the coa requests get put into the "when I'm free" basket.

But, here's the deal.

I've arranged to take a brown paper bag containing any VINs which we would like a COA to be produced and pass it to my friend in the shadows late one night. He will pursue getting the coa for each vin and then passat back to me through a series of secret handshakes in a crowded bar with dancing girls.............oops, lost my train of thought for A moment.

If you want a COA, email me your vin and I will pass it on. Maybe a small charge for postage....will see how we go.

This will happen only once...ever...through this friend. they are doing things to make Classic more prominent in Australia, so a COA will be easier sometime in the future.

So, email me at my PFA username at Gmail.com

Also, be honest and just do your vin. This is happening to help enthusiasts, so let's not mess it up.

Archived