Also thinking of letting mine go - 84 911 3.2

Yes, having this discussion with self at the moment, only issue is do I buy a GT3 or manual GTS? Money is useless in the bank.

You buy a classic that will bring a serious dividend if/when you bring yourself to sell it.

Otherwise , with a modern car the only dividend is  :) for many years!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No ad on carsales yet. I wonder what 84911C has decided to do?

Hi TurboT, 

Had a quite a few serious enquiries which has upped the anti + my mechanic telling me DO NOT SELL IT!

But honestly i had no idea it was going to generate this interest, I didn't even know that the car had the original tool kit (yep had to check when someone asked).

At the start of the thread i mentioned i'm not sure if i was going to sell it (don't need the cash for anything and i'm in no real rush) so I've decided i'm going to sleep on it for a couple of nights, and go for a drive before making a decision either way.

I have this thought going around in my head: If the market takes a dive and crashes like the Aussie Muscle Car market - not doubt i'll be kicking my self if i don't sell it...!!

Hi TurboT, 

Had a quite a few serious enquiries which has upped the anti + my mechanic telling me DO NOT SELL IT!

But honestly i had no idea it was going to generate this interest, I didn't even know that the car had the original tool kit (yep had to check when someone asked).

At the start of the thread i mentioned i'm not sure if i was going to sell it (don't need the cash for anything and i'm in no real rush) so I've decided i'm going to sleep on it for a couple of nights, and go for a drive before making a decision either way.

I have this thought going around in my head: If the market takes a dive and crashes like the Aussie Muscle Car market - not doubt i'll be kicking my self if i don't sell it...!!

Take a look a Aussie muscle car owners and the world market for them - only so many cashed up bogans to go around. P cars have worldwide appeal from everyone from mechanics, software technicians, dentists etc etc. the market might slow but I don't see it crashing for quality cars. They are just too rare

Hi TurboT, 

Classic signs of a market being driven by fear and greed instead of fundamentals.  Don't want to miss out if it crashes.  Those not in the market want to get in at any price for fear of being locked out forever.

There will be a dip at some point.  Very few will pick the top of the market to sell and the bottom to buy.  I'd suggest to forget all that and decide if you want an old Porsche in the garage, for driving, owning, talking about.

The time to sell is when you have a better use for the money, not when you think the market is ripe.

Classic signs of a market being driven by fear and greed instead of fundamentals.  Don't want to miss out if it crashes.  Those not in the market want to get in at any price for fear of being locked out forever.

There will be a dip at some point.  Very few will pick the top of the market to sell and the bottom to buy.  I'd suggest to forget all that and decide if you want an old Porsche in the garage, for driving, owning, talking about.

The time to sell is when you have a better use for the money, not when you think the market is ripe.

Good point Coastr. 

Stunning car, absolutely gorgeous.

If you don't need the money, then my opinion is don't sell it.

As others have said, do your best to make the time and drive it. Windows down, open and twisty road. Listen to that exhaust note bounce off the trees and road walls, feel the weight of the steering in your hand, will bring a smile to your face every time.  

I think lots of us go through this with our houses as well - if prices run up a bit, you think - I should sell and collect the cash and move somewhere cheaper.  But then you'd have no house and find the grass wasn't always greener and half the run-up in price was just inflation catching up anyway. 

Where I live prices have been stagnant for half a decade - and in a lot of ways that makes things a bit easier because it doesn't mess with your plans of 'is the is the right place to live - yes/no'.  If we all knew our cars were going to be worth about the same in 5 years we would stop worrying about what the market was doing and just worry about if we needed the car or not.  In a way, I think that's the right way to approach it, and it's probably not far off reality because even with ups and downs you're not going to be selling this car for half its current value in 1,2,5 years time.  10k less? sure, quite possible. 20k less? could happen too.  $40k less? unlikely.

For most people - and even most of us with our 'other' cars - the issue is the reverse - do I get out of this car now before it becomes completely worthless, or do I just keep driving it for a few more years.  Worrying about price rises is an incredible luxury to have.

The classic car market worldwide has increased 450% in the past ten years. Much more so than art, gold, classic watches or Chinese ceramic. So IMO I don't think any of us have anything to worry about.

I agree with others in that if you don't need the money for something else then KEEP it. But if you do and you don't drive the car that much then selling it might be the sensible thing to do.

I myself could use the money, and although I don't drive mine as often as I'd like, I'm not selling!

Lastly and most importantly, try and not think about the investment side of things, just enjoy it

Hi TurboT, 

Just curious, where has all the interest been generated from?  Simply this thread, or have you other feelers out there?

Your car looks fantastic, a keeper for sure if you always want to have a 911 in the shed.  Mine is very similar in Aus del spec (but is red) at an '86 with 120k on the clock, all original and toolkits/books/receipts etc.  The values really do get you thinking so I understand your dilemma. The thing that has stopped me listing it is I don't see the money on the mortgage stacking up to the satisfaction of having the 911.  So for me, unless it got me into something else I really wanted (lets face it, all car enthusiasts have multiple desirable cars) and still able to bank a few $$ then with me it will stay and give something for the kids to aspire to.

Just curious, where has all the interest been generated from?  Simply this thread, or have you other feelers out there?

Just from this thread, it's the only place i have mentioned it.

Just from this thread, it's the only place i have mentioned it.

All forums have lurkers -> contributors ratio of about 10:1 or more.

In my day job I spend some time posting away on forums giving advice and opinions (who would have thought). Occasionally I speak at events. A few times I have had people come up to me and talk about things I have written, which they never responded to, commented or contributed. This is common in the car world as well, as people with famous 'build' threads will be swamped by people at a cars and coffee - even though those people may not ever be registered on the he site.

The takeaway here is that the bulk of internet activity is in the reading, and it's a mistake to think that the audience for this thread is just the 20 or so people contributing, or even the total readership of PFA. It's much bigger than that. There would also be members who have ever posted who send PMs about for sale stuff.

TL;DR; lots of people read these threads even if they aren't active members

So classic throttle shop have a '86 for sale for $90,000 no mention of any rebuilds!

So classic throttle shop have a '86 for sale for $90,000 no mention of any rebuilds!

I only see POA.....same for the 993 TT they have,

Did you enquire as to price?

I'm not sure if rebuilds add or detract to price for engines under 200kms  As long as they are proven healthy with leakdown, compression, headstuds etc from a PPI, in some ways an original un-cracked topend is more desirable IMHO.  Many 3.2's went well over 200kms with no topend work

This '86 for $78,000 is comparable: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-3312054/?Cr=26

Be interesting to see how long this one and the CTS one stay for sale for.

I've long since given up being sceptical as have been proven wrong too many times.....

That is a beautiful car.  They just look so good when they are original, optioned nicely and un-fiddled like that.  I wonder if that is getting back to the original 1986 purchase price?

Nearly. Just complicated by the mighty fall of the oz dollar in early '86:
$79,723 in 11/85
$92,415 in 4/86!

(Ref: Wheels May 1986)

Context thanks to Google:
Economic policy in the mid-1980s was dominated by a balance of payments crisis. This intensified a collapse in the value of the Australian dollar, which had fallen from approximate parity with the US dollar in 1983 to values around US 60 cents by the second half of 1986. In a radio interview on 14 May 1986, Treasurer Paul Keating said that if the government could not manage the economy sensibly Australia was basically 'done for' and would become 'a banana republic'. On 28 May Keating warned Cabinet that import prices were increasing faster than export prices and the 1985–86 current account deficit was likely to be around 5.8 per cent of GDP, compared with Australia's historic average of between 2 and 3 per cent of GDP. Imports were expected to fall as domestic demand slowed and the value of the dollar fell, but this would be offset by weak export prices and the cost of financing the existing current account deficit.

Nearly. Just complicated by the mighty fall of the oz dollar in early '86:

$79,723 in 11/85

$92,415 in 4/86!

(Ref: Wheels May 1986)

Context thanks to Google:

Economic policy in the mid-1980s was dominated by a balance of payments crisis. This intensified a collapse in the value of the Australian dollar, which had fallen from approximate parity with the US dollar in 1983 to values around US 60 cents by the second half of 1986. In a radio interview on 14 May 1986, Treasurer Paul Keating said that if the government could not manage the economy sensibly Australia was basically 'done for' and would become 'a banana republic'. On 28 May Keating warned Cabinet that import prices were increasing faster than export prices and the 1985–86 current account deficit was likely to be around 5.8 per cent of GDP, compared with Australia's historic average of between 2 and 3 per cent of GDP. Imports were expected to fall as domestic demand slowed and the value of the dollar fell, but this would be offset by weak export prices and the cost of financing the existing current account deficit.

Ha I remember it - I was young but the family was involved in moving german automobiles and things screeched to a halt pretty quick.  Mr Keating was not a popular figure in our household.

In a radio interview on 14 May 1986, Treasurer Paul Keating said that if the government could not manage the economy sensibly Australia was basically 'done for' and would become 'a banana republic'.

To all those paying off their mortgage , imagine buying your first house in '86 with the interest rate at 18%  :blink: No fancy cars for us back then (just my HR Holden and a Fiat 128)

Archived