Also thinking of letting mine go - 84 911 3.2

yeah interest rates were higher but house prices were a hell of a lot lower, its all relative.. these days $500,000 buys very little, back in 86 $500,000 went a very very long way

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah interest rates were higher but house prices were a hell of a lot lower, its all relative.. these days $500,000 buys very little, back in 86 $500,000 went a very very long way

But cars were expensive! That local 928 was bought for the equivalent (cf house prices) of around 1.2 million.

$500,000 gets you a nice little house not too far from the Hobart CBD  :) but not in the world's 3rd most expensive city of course.

Interesting what a difference two weeks makes!  When that 3.2 that was auctioned at Shannons for $53k the general view on the forum seemed to be that it was evidence the 3.2 market remains relatively sensible . . . $50k for high km, poor provenance to $60k+ for lower km and good provenance.

Here we are are just two weeks later talking about $80k plus for a good car!  That owner of the red one is asking $78k and God knows what CTS is asking for their grey one.

I suppose there's a difference between asking and getting . . .  even in this crazy time of low interest and QE there are not many people who will write a $80k cheque for a 3.2 when they could buy a 997 or low km Boxster for the same $.

........a 3.2 when they could buy a 997 or low km Boxster for the same $.

Nick,

I think they are very different market segments and more strongly correlated to era rather than best buy within the brand for the available $. 

Oh, BTW CTS are asking $90k for their 3.2!

Nick,

I think they are very different market segments and more strongly correlated to era rather than best buy within the brand for the available $.

Oh, BTW CTS are asking $90k for their 3.2!

And in addition to this these are probably guys and girls who already have a modern P car so it's not a question of one or the other.

Interesting what a difference two weeks makes!  When that 3.2 that was auctioned at Shannons for $53k the general view on the forum seemed to be that it was evidence the 3.2 market remains relatively sensible . . . $50k for high km, poor provenance to $60k+ for lower km and good provenance.

Here we are are just two weeks later talking about $80k plus for a good car!  That owner of the red one is asking $78k and God knows what CTS is asking for their grey one.

I suppose there's a difference between asking and getting . . .  even in this crazy time of low interest and QE there are not many people who will write a $80k cheque for a 3.2 when they could buy a 997 or low km Boxster for the same $.

Hi All

I bought the "Shannons" 3.2. My first foray into classic Porsche ownership following several years with classic Ferraris (not sure which one is the "dark side" now :) )

Happy to report that the 3.2 is just lovely. I thought the car was a bargain which is why I bought it on a whim. A stack of receipts dating back to 2000 as well as service books back to day 1. The car has been very well looked after. I'm not sure about any engine work but it pulls strongly with no smoke so I suspect something has been done to it in the past. Similarly the gearbox action feels new.

Apologies in advance if I ask any dumb questions regarding these cars!

Cheers

Greg

Hi All

I bought the "Shannons" 3.2. My first foray into classic Porsche ownership following several years with classic Ferraris (not sure which one is the "dark side" now :) )

Happy to report that the 3.2 is just lovely. I thought the car was a bargain which is why I bought it on a whim. A stack of receipts dating back to 2000 as well as service books back to day 1. The car has been very well looked after. I'm not sure about any engine work but it pulls strongly with no smoke so I suspect something has been done to it in the past. Similarly the gearbox action feels new.

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg,

Welcome. Glad you are enjoying your 3.2.

Please start a thread with a lot of photos.

Thanks. 

To all those paying off their mortgage , imagine buying your first house in '86 with the interest rate at 18%  :blink: No fancy cars for us back then (just my HR Holden and a Fiat 128)

Just slightly off Porsche topic ....

I am an avid collector of print media and recently listed this for sale on ebay .... granted its from 1985 but shows exactly what you are saying above ....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1985-Home-Loan-Rates-to-Rise-13-5-Newsagent-Newspaper-Poster-Headline-/191543872662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c98e78c96

Hi All

I bought the "Shannons" 3.2. My first foray into classic Porsche ownership following several years with classic Ferraris 

Well done Greg ; smart move  :) The money you save on Fezza bills will get you into your 2nd then 3rd Porsche.

Though I'm sure you have some stories about the Ferraris to tell us in due course!

Well done Greg ; smart move  :) The money you save on Fezza bills will get you into your 2nd then 3rd Porsche.

Though I'm sure you have some stories about the Ferraris to tell us in due course!

First thing I noticed when i went thru the invoices was how bloody cheap these cars are to maintain! The biggest Ferrari bill I had was a butt clenching $60k for a full rebuild on a carby V12 :eek:  The Ferrari classic car market is really hot right now, stupid hot. My last car was sold to Hong Kong late last year for crazy money. IMO classic Porsches still have some way to climb. I'll start a new thread in the introduction section at some stage with more stories and pics :)

The biggest Ferrari bill I had was a butt clenching $60k for a full rebuild on a carby V12 

bowdown.gif

I thought as much! Though I had sorta hoped that you were going to say you've rebuilt a few over long winter evenings thumbup.gif

Hi All

Cheers

Greg

Hey, welcome.

I reckon you stole that car :)

If it pulls nice and doesn't smoke and there are no receipts, chances are it could still be original.  Stranger things have been known to happen than high mileage Porsches going and going.

I'm jealous you just walked into an auction, bought on a whim and walked out with a beauty.  I'm not jealous of your ferrari receipts  :blink:

That is a beautiful car. They just look so good when they are original, optioned nicely and un-fiddled like that. I wonder if that is getting back to the original 1986 purchase price?

And sold pending final payment...

$80k cheque for a 3.2 when they could buy a 997 or low km Boxster for the same $.

For me, it is the depreciation. An $80k 997 will still drop in value and have maintenance costs. Hopefully the 3.2 would hover or even increase over time.

A 997 would be nice as a dd though ;)

This '86 for $78,000 is comparable: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-3312054/?Cr=26

Be interesting to see how long this one and the CTS one stay for sale for.

I've long since given up being sceptical as have been proven wrong too many times.....

And sold pending final payment...

Gone to a PFA member I hear.

Here's some more pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37118432@N05/

Hey turboT, $75k, was your friends mechanically done like mine? I honestly can say there's nothing to be done to this one and have all receipts to back it up.

Wow, 80k, maybe i should stick it on Carsales and see what happens?

Have you decided to keep it ?

This '86 for $78,000 is comparable: http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-3312054/?Cr=26

Be interesting to see how long this one and the CTS one stay for sale for.

I've long since given up being sceptical as have been proven wrong too many times.....

So the $78k one sold 3 days later and the $90k CTS is under offer a week later. 

I don't think these two are really representative of the average C3.2 having 123,000 and 143,000km respectively and the red one particularly being absolutely pristine.  When I look back these numbers, allowing for the CTS premium, aren't that far different to the pristine ones of 18 months ago.

However there does seem to be a greater proportion of pristine ones for sale at the moment and hardly any average (220,000+) kilometre ones.

The tiny sample size does make it hard to "size" the trend but not convinced it's a bubble yet! :unsure:

Archived