An Architect’s 964… Black, Black Black!

So, thought it’s about time to share a couple of images and some info on our 964, having been floating around here a short while now. It’s a 1990 C4 non-sunroof, satin black metallic, with black interior. Purchased a couple of years ago now with just 45,000km on it, we’ve added 15,000km in that time and have sorted some common issues, performed a few upgrades, been on a few drive days and developed an obsession with black…

My wife and I are both architects, which means we only wear black turtle necks and only drive black cars ;)  Factually though, there do seem to be quite a few designers and creatives here in Sydney into 964s, which is great. Wonder if this is the case elsewhere?…

It’s a street car so never intended to be a hardcore racer, but still it does get some track time. Here’s the list of mods done and coming, enjoy.

- Bilstein HDs

- Eibach Springs

- RS Clutch and LWF

- SW Chip for LWF (what a difference this made, no stalling!)

- Turbo Engine Mounts (will upgrade to WEVO next)

- Cargraphic Cup Pipe (for us this is just the right balance sound wise)

- Street Wheels - Colour matched RUF Speedline 8x17 and 10x17 (did I mention they’re black?)

- Track Wheels - Cup 1's (for now…)

- Aero Mirrors

- 993 Door Handles (painted but not yet installed)

- Cult Werk Front Cooling Ducts

- Cult Werk Front Splitter (not yet installed)

- Cult Werk RS Rear Bumper Section (painted but not yet installed, not sure to do it?)

- Appbiz RS Door Cards

- VDO Stereo & Polk Speakers

- Autowatch Immobiliser

Next on the list are seats, rear wiper delete and want to investigate sway bar upgrades…

DSC_0462ss_zps7pdfollx.jpg

DSC_0478ss_zpsmjllbw9u.jpg

DSC_0457ss_zpsmfglrbzw.jpg

DSC_0447ss_zpsofh05mh8.jpg

And here on collection day couple of years ago

IMG_2064s_zpsfduxqeqk.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great looking car mate. I was admiring it at Porsches in the Park the other day.

I always think the cars with the subtle mods work the best & this is good example of that.

I want to see more rectilinear eyewear

I thought you guys all drove Saabs? Do you have a black one of those?

+ pointy shoes..............we tend to like them too.  :lol:

Car looks great BTW. 

Designers & cars go together like peas & carrots IMO. Porsche 911's in particular for their thread of design evolution + quirky characteristics - just like a good architect.  :rolleyes:  :ph34r:  :D

My wife and I are both architects, which means we only wear black turtle necks and only drive black cars apparently ;)  Seriously though, there do seem to be quite a few designers and creatives here in Sydney into 964s, which is great. Wonder if this is the case elsewhere?…

Very nice 964.

I see this, my good friend's boss who owns a design agency also has a black on black on 964.

Of course he does - it compliments his black suit, black skivvy and turtle shell glasses nicely :D

I would laugh, but then I look in our wardrobe and it's all true... :mellow:

I thought you guys all drove Saabs? Do you have a black one of those?

I don't... but an architect friend has a black 900 convertible. Saabs and Citreon DSs all day long...

Hahahaha, sorry mate, I have to laugh at the turtle neck/architect thing.

I installed some wardrobes for one a year ago in one of THE coolest homes I've ever been in. Everything 70's deco with Eames period correct furniture and 70's magazines on the coffee table.

The guy was wearing a black turtle neck, thick glasses and a hairstyle to rival Lady Gaga!

A cool dude, and what did he drive? A black 911!

Not stereotyping here though! :-)

Seriously nice 964 there mate. Tyres could be blacker though

Hahahaha, sorry mate, I have to laugh at the turtle neck/architect thing.

The guy was wearing a black turtle neck, thick glasses and a hairstyle to rival Lady Gaga!

I came to make jokes about Saab's and glasses but they have all been made so my grand design will go in the bin...

Nice car tho!

plenty of slapstick in hair to mine yet

hairchitecture01.jpg

Designers & cars go together like peas & carrots IMO. Porsche 911's in particular for their thread of design evolution + quirky characteristics :D

True. Though some of my work colleagues still don't get the whole Porsche thing. We've all worked in the auto industry in various places and disciplines, and, styling trends aside, whether you're working on brand x or brand y, you take inspiration from your previous work.

I would have thought that my colleagues would have (or at least show) a little more respect for an icon that is the 911.

Seriously nice 964 there mate. Tyres could be blacker though

Hi guys, just back from the annual black skivvy convention in Melbourne... saw my first BMW i8 there, wow, impressive car...

Regarding black tyre treatment, does anyone recommend a particular product? I've tried one but it wasn't so good on these tyres and I don't want anything greasy and shiny!

I use this with happy results: http://www.waxit.com.au/collections/tyre-care/products/carpro-perl-50-500-1ltr

Water based (not silicone), lasts long enough between washes, doesn't spat up on the car, etc.

Can be watered down for exterior and interior plastics and rubbers.

Great product IMO, been using it for years. 

Good reviews on detailing forums, etc too

I use this with happy results: http://www.waxit.com.au/collections/tyre-care/products/carpro-perl-50-500-1ltr

Water based (not silicone), lasts long enough between washes, doesn't spat up on the car, etc.

Can be watered down for exterior and interior plastics and rubbers.

Great product IMO, been using it for years. 

Good reviews on detailing forums, etc too

Sounds good, thanks for the tip, I'll order some and give it a go.

Archived