That little chat about your car

On the way back to the hospital today and was stopped in traffic. Noticed a couple in the car lane next to me looking over, so looked back. We both had our windows open and the guy immediately strikes up a conversation about my car (driving the 964), how long I'd had it, whether it had been re sprayed, how he loved Porsche's. Was about to hear a story about his 930 he had back in South Africa, when I got beeped from behind and had to move off.

I love those spontaneous little chats.

I've only noticed it with a Porsche but anyone who talks to me when they see mine, always brings up an example of someone they know who used to own one back in the day. Just today, a handyman dropped around to the house, "my old man used to have a 77 Targa...etc. etc" 

I get "faaaarken hell, wicked, light me up maaaaate"

Maybe they just recognise an old Frankston lad when they see one even when driving the pinnacle of the 911 range.....

Since i'm young and driven around on P plates (currently 23), I've gotten the following:

Does it do hoops bro

Faaarrrkkkk must pull the b*tches 

Then the:

Oh man nice car! i've always wanted a 944. 

Police officer:

Oh man i've always wanted a 944 when i was your age. dude show me the interior. Oh wow i love the dash on these. 30 mins later still talking cars. 

I've always gotten good remarks about my S2, service station converations that turn into a 10 minute talk.

I had one last year (Pauly you'll like this) with a nice friendly young bloke in a HSV R8 who was into Porsches:

"Beautiful car bro, turbo eh"

"Thanks mate, but no the S2 is a naturally aspirated 3.0 litre 4 cylinder"

"But with a turbo eh, my brothers mate has one just like this with these spoilers, so it is a turbo"

"No a 3 litre naturally aspirated engine, no turbos or superchargers"

"nah but with a turbo, just like my brother's mate"

"No worries, awesome having a chat mate, have a great day"

I am sure he went away and told his mates he met some old bloke with a 944 who didn't even realise it had a turbocharged engine. :blink:

Rarely does anyone strike up conversation about my beetle.. the last one though was with a super drunk irish man who couldn't understand how a young fella could afford to own such a car.... To keep it easy I told him "its easy, just marry your job".... which there's a lot of truth in that! :lol: 

To be honest, the G wagen gets me lots of random chats... people are very curious about it

I had a guy on a push bike that appeared to be mouthing off at me.

He caught up to me at the lights and told me to wind my window down which I did just a smidge and I was greeted "utterly perfect, you've set this car up bang on" He then proceeded to tell me that 964's haven't had their day yet and they are coming, etc

But that's just one of many, it's not an uncommon thing.

someone yelled out "waaaaanka!!" to me again yesterday. Thats about all I seem to get.

Sorry mate. It's gt3 thing. Too many wankers drive them. On the last Autohaus drive there was a least 4 behaving like they were driving

Formula 1, but with slightly less overtaking. The 996 gt3 is a bit more of a subtle beast though (than 997/991). Surprised you were recognised? They must have been conisiours..

I get funny comments at fodder shops when I buy chicken and dog food. They offer to help carry it out to the car. They are stunned when I open the bonnet.

So you won't drive your car on dirty roads, but you will put chicken shit in the boot...

I love a man that thinks his Porsche is suitable for any and every task though. I would never question taking mine for a trip to Bunnings or ikea.

B1B2B5D3-48D3-46E9-9ECA-9CC055F2A2C4_zps

^^^ love that photo Turbo T!

My 964 is my only car for the time being and gets used for all duties.

Tried to get a mature age Monsteria plant in there the other day but just couldn't make it work.

Have often contemplated roof racks so I can transport lumber and other materials for weekend projects. 

My neighbour who parks in the spot opposite me has a 72 911 and I saw him pull out a new ironing board last weekend, no idea how that fit in. 

I get "faaaarken hell, wicked, light me up maaaaate"

Maybe they just recognise an old Frankston lad when they see one even when driving the pinnacle of the 911 range.....

Being an old Franga boy, you'll always look like you stole it. 

I had a guy jump out of his car at the lights gesturing to wind down my window.  I reluctantly did so thinking I was going to cop a spray only to have him tell me how much he liked my car.  You never know which way it will go.

Sorry mate. It's gt3 thing. Too many wankers drive them. On the last Autohaus drive there was a least 4 behaving like they were driving

Formula 1, but with slightly less overtaking. The 996 gt3 is a bit more of a subtle beast though (than 997/991). Surprised you were recognised? They must have been conisiours..

Wait til I paint my wheels Riviera Blue then...ill be sh*t out luck! 

I was out in my mates 911 the other day, stopped at a coffee shop.

As I walked out, a guy said this to me.

Hay mate, you know what they say about Porsche drivers don't you.

"Not all Porsche drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive Porsches".

I responded by saying, maybe YOU should get one.

On the way back to the hospital today and was stopped in traffic. Noticed a couple in the car lane next to me looking over, so looked back. We both had our windows open and the guy immediately strikes up a conversation about my car (driving the 964), how long I'd had it, whether it had been re sprayed, how he loved Porsche's. Was about to hear a story about his 930 he had back in South Africa, when I got beeped from behind and had to move off.

I love those spontaneous little chats.

that is why I love my p-cars so much...i seem to have those spontaneous chats every time i'm out driving. and it seems everyone wants to have a chat about the car...from the 3 year old little boy to the 85 year old grandma. who doesn't love a p-car (even the water cooled ones) ;)

someone yelled out "waaaaanka!!" to me again yesterday. Thats about all I seem to get.

I get that all the time. At work, walking down the street, from my kids. I reckon even the dog says it in beagle lingo.

that is why I love my p-cars so much...i seem to have those spontaneous chats every time i'm out driving. and it seems everyone wants to have a chat about the car...from the 3 year old little boy to the 85 year old grandma. who doesn't love a p-car (even the water cooled ones) ;)

Mate we must live in better neighbourhoods than fraz and spiller. That, or they're just a couple of wankers :)

Mate we must live in better neighbourhoods than fraz and spiller. That, or they're just a couple of wankers :)

I think it's just a Mexican thing, mate. Gotta be careful of those south o da boarder:)

I thought this thread was going to be a talk about getting rid of one of the Porsches for something family oriented.

How relieved I am to find it's just about getting into chats with random strangers.

Archived