New member '96 993 C2 en route

Hi, just discovered this forum after several years of Porsche ownership, however none so far whilst in Australia.

I have a '96 993 in Polar Silver that I purchased while living in Hong Kong. Used as a daily driver for nearly 4 years there, and currently en route from HK to Sydney via a slow boat.

Started out as a stock C2 Tiptronic which was perfect for my needs as a daily driver. While in HK I have undertaken some works to start to make it a little more personalised to my tastes and needs - I plan to hang on to it for many years.

As my daily driver:

993%20HK-L.jpg

Since then I have made the following modifications:

Converted from a tiptronic to a G50/21 with RS ratios, a 4.0:1 final drive and motorsports LSD

LWF and clutch

Goldenrod and SSK

18" Tramont Cup replica wheels

Bilstein PSS-10's

Big Red brakes with RS rears

RS adjustable swaybars

Elephant Racing strut and bushings

RS gear lever

Custom made plug and play ECU

Turbo front bumper

Headlight washer delete

Glass out respray and rustproofing

New front screen and all new seals throughout

Some photos after the work:

IMG-20150521-WA0004-L.jpg

IMG-20150521-WA0002-L.jpg

IMG-20150521-WA0000-L.jpg

IMG-20150521-WA0007-L.jpg

Anyway, just thought I should post and intro up and look forward to being more involved once the car reaches Oz!

Ross.

Thanks for the welcome Blue964 and Tit!

Itsujack, yes - very big $$$. Certainly no sane person would do what I did. Hence why my gearbox is a little "special" - spending this much for the conversion, thought I may as well do it properly.

The gearbox was built by Albert Motorsport in Germany, all the conversion parts were researched by me having to compare part #'s from the 993 PET and subsequently ordering the unique required manual parts from Sunset in the US ( a 10 page invoice - yikes).

Then you have things like the ECU to deal with and a number of NLA parts that needed to be either manufactured or sourced. All the while compounded by this being a RHD car...

I haven't driven it yet, but friends who have on my behalf tell me it has transformed the car, so can't wait!

IMG-20150130-WA0000-L.jpg

IMG-20150205-WA0000-L.jpg

"I haven't driven it yet, but friends who have on my behalf tell me it has transformed the car, so can't wait!"

We only took it to the track once promise;  :rolleyes:

Welcome, it looks like a well prepared car .

:)

With manual 964/993 becoming harder to come by, I am sure people are wondering about the tip to manual conversion route.

Absolutely. Manual 993's were almost impossible to source in Hong Kong and when they did come up were considerably more expensive. There are undoubtedly cheaper ways to convert than I have undertaken, but if anyone needs my shopping list of parts, please ask and I'll see what I can put together.

I also plan to retain all parts to convert back to Tiptronic if ever needed.

What a great looking examplE.

Thanks ByronBayChris!

We only took it to the track once promise;  :rolleyes:

Haha, yes. But thankfully there are no tracks in Hong Kong! I felt it was best to sort any major issues while still in HK as the labour costs are insignificant compared to what it would likely cost back in Oz...

Welcome aboard.

With manual 964/993 becoming harder to come by, I am sure people are wondering about the tip to manual conversion route.

Totally agree. Given the current price discrepancy is at least $20k between a good tip compared to a manual there must be a market for this conversion here if the conversion cost is priced around that mark? I know the value for a converted car may not be as high as an original manual, but for those who are just interested in the driving experience what does it matter. Am I dreaming to think this can be done for around $20k?

Totally agree. Given the current price discrepancy is at least $20k between a good tip compared to a manual there must be a market for this conversion here if the conversion cost is priced around that mark? I know the value for a converted car may not be as high as an original manual, but for those who are just interested in the driving experience what does it matter. Am I dreaming to think this can be done for around $20k?

It can be done, but it would depend on how cheaply you can source a gearbox. My box cost me €9500 to have built so I blew my budget there, but it's the gearbox I wanted with RS ratios and LSD and shouldn't need attention for many years to come as freshly rebuilt...

You can pick up a conversion "kit" from LA dismantlers for around $8000 which includes most items you might need, then you would just need to source the RHD specific pedal box, etc.

I was lucky as labour costs to convert were very cheap in Hong Kong and I negotiated a fixed price. Would hate to think how many hours would be required...

Great looking 993!!! The turbo front looks much better and I like the missing badge on the rear.

Thanks for the feedback! I spent far too many months deliberating over keeping the car stock vs making it an RS replica. In the end I decided no matter how close a replica I created it would still just be an imitation, so went the path of choosing what I liked about the 993 - washer delete and wheels from the RS, turbo bumper, no wing, etc.

Welcome to the forum. A very nice looking 993 and I bet you cannot wait to get it on the twisty roads over here.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes, very much looking forward to it. Particularly as I haven't driven it for over 6 months...

One more milestone on the road back to Australia. The car was loaded into the container this week and the shipping details made available, so now just a few more weeks to wait...

DSCI0843-L.jpg

DSCI0849-L.jpg

DSCI0874-L.jpg

The only issue is that in some bizarre miscommunication with the paint shop in Hong Kong, they appear to have painted the rear spoiler and reapplied the Carrera script - neither of which I requested.

Not much I can do about it now though... :unsure:

Nice looking car with some very well sorted options.

Seen your thread on Rennlist. Lots and lots of hard work, time and money has gone into a great result.

you can get the badge off with dental floss,and as it hasn`t been on long the paint should be ok underneath it

Thanks for the suggestion - sounds like a good option! My only worry will be whether the paint has had enough time to cure fully. I liked the look without, but will reserve judgement till the car is back. It is an original feature after all and if they have done a good enough job of it I may well just keep it stock.

Nice looking car with some very well sorted options.

Thanks T-Man! Appreciate the feedback...

awesome.

I owned a 964 tip up till yesterday. Conversion was always on my mind and I did see the LA Dismantlers kits on ebay for $11995 including everything... plus freight.. 

When I contacted Autohaus about doing a conversion, they said they had done it once and would never do it again!

This is the first time I have seen a car in a shipping container.. how do they get out of the car without bumping the edge of the door?

• 2 weeks later...

Great car and progress looks amazing!!!

I have been considering doing a manual conversion but seems unrealistic for value and it will bother me if I get only a good job - needs to be flawless, but this is never a certain thing without an infinite budget :(.

When I contacted Autohaus about doing a conversion, they said they had done it once and would never do it again!

This is the first time I have seen a car in a shipping container.. how do they get out of the car without bumping the edge of the door?

Yes! I had a similar conversation with my HK mechanic, however he was very confident he could do it. I think there have been several conversions done over there - labour is cheap, so I guess that makes it economically viable.

I don't want to know how they got out - more concerned how they are going to manage at this end where the average body size is a little larger ;)  

Great car and progress looks amazing!!!

I have been considering doing a manual conversion but seems unrealistic for value and it will bother me if I get only a good job - needs to be flawless, but this is never a certain thing without an infinite budget :(.

Thanks Claywong!

Absolutely agree, hence why I went with all new or rebuilt parts - when you're spending this much you need to know it's going to be a good outcome. I considered the LA Dismantlers package, however you really have no way to validate the quality of the parts you're getting and only end up with a standard G50 with the US gearing...

Welcome mate... great looking 993! 

Where did you live in HK?

Thanks edgy!

I was out in Sai Kung for 4 years. Drove the 993 most days onto the Island.

Archived