No its not Dreamr, its my theory too. As you guys know im in the hunt in the 993 market and if these cars are all selling that quickly in the above mentioned businesses at those prices, then all the private sellers I have spoken to over the last 3 months must be really unlucky...or lucky, as they still have their cars!

The sales are legit, I know the guys down there.  Most of the big purchases are cash buyers adding to collections or people buying something they've wanted for ages and are in a position to buy.  Some of the older cars also go overseas where buyers don't want to have to deal with buying privately. 

The sales are legit, I know the guys down there.  Most of the big purchases are cash buyers adding to collections or people buying something they've wanted for ages and are in a position to buy.  Some of the older cars also go overseas where buyers don't want to have to deal with buying privately.

I wasn't saying that the sales aren't legit ..... I'm saying that they are sold before they hit the internet and then have "deposit taken" or "sold" within 10 minutes for all to see.

There are too many being sold in record time from hitting the "internet market" for the internet listings to be legit.

I wasn't saying that the sales aren't legit ..... I'm saying that they are sold before they hit the internet and then have "deposit taken" or "sold" within 10 minutes for all to see.There are too many being sold in record time from hitting the "internet market" for the internet listings to be legit.

A sale is a sale. Like property, "off market" deals happen where agent/dealer taps his database in the hope of a quick sale. In my experience the loaded guys drive a hard bargain. I haven't met many that will throw cash away. Most build wealth by shrewd purchases and investments so in my view even sales achieved in this manner remain genuine sales which are a true measure of the market.

But I agree that it skews the perception of the heat in the market. Dutton or CTS or autohaus might be working the deal behind the scenes for some weeks then post it up and soon thereafter change status to sold which gives the impression of a hot market. Again, same in property. Board goes up and next day sold sticker goes up despite 3 weeks of negotiation prior to releasing to market. All the locals say, wow that was quick, better list my property with that guy. I doubt it changes prices paid though.

But I agree that it skews the perception of the heat in the market. Dutton or CTS or autohaus might be working the deal behind the scenes for some weeks then post it up and soon thereafter change status to sold which gives the impression of a hot market. Again, same in property. Board goes up and next day sold sticker goes up despite 3 weeks of negotiation prior to releasing to market. All the locals say, wow that was quick, better list my property with that guy. I doubt it changes prices paid though.

You have nailed what I've been trying to say ....

You are also right in saying a sale is a sale, and I'm not trying to take that away from them ...

The only reason I have made a point of saying something regarding this is that we all go "ooh, ahh, Glenn McGrath, look at this hot market selling these expensive cars in 10 minutes flat" when in fact it does take some time to put things together ... a skewed view of the market as you so quite rightly put ...

But....as we have seen today there are private cars selling in hours too.

Another tactic that is used by the dealers is that if the the pre advertising deals are not quite getting over the line they use the threat of going public with the sale as leverage over the potential buyer forcing him to make a decision before the doors are opened to the public. This can also legitimately explain the quick sale.  Ask me how I know ;)

But....as we have seen today there are private cars selling in hours too.

Another tactic that is used by the dealers is that if the the pre advertising deals are not quite getting over the line they use the threat of going public with the sale as leverage over the potential buyer forcing him to make a decision before the doors are opened to the public. This can also legitimately explain the quick sale. Ask me how I know ;)

How do you know Doug?

Reading the international porsche mags I'm surprised at how often you read about a car now residing back in Europe having been "purchased in Australia".

Not surprising that the really good examples sell within a few hours when shops like CTS have an international reputation, and as someone else suggested they probably have a good list of perspective buyers already.

So everyone's a winner except for the poor mug trying to actually buy a car in Australia!

If the cars ever come back from the UK they may well be rusty  :wub: Well on the positive side,  all you lucky owners of Oz delivered 911s will have an appreciating asset , if you drive carefully.

Reading the international porsche mags I'm surprised at how often you read about a car now residing back in Europe having been "purchased in Australia".

Not surprising that the really good examples sell within a few hours when shops like CTS have an international reputation, and as someone else suggested they probably have a good list of perspective buyers already.

I also understand that if a car is originally delivered to the UK and subsequently re-imported, then that car is excluded from VAT and duties.  This is creates a substantial saving over importing a car into the UK that was not originally delivered to the UK.  Add to this that if a UK delivered car has resided in a Australia for X years, that gives X years of non exposure to damp conditions and salty roads.

Australia has become the new California of classic cars for the Brits :D

I've had expressions of interest a few times over the past 6 months or more from the UK with my lefty 912. And Germany, France, Belgium, USA etc etc.

I've seen less than average (aka rusty heaps of shit) 912's listed for £20k and theyre selling pretty quickly in the UK, so there seems to be a big demand for them with the price of earlier 911's going nuts.

If thats the case, my thing would be £30k minimum.

I get it, but that's not the case with CTS.  Can't speak for Dutton's or Autohaus etc.

I know the guys at CTS, the Porsche's they've all just sold they got in over the last 2 weeks.   They don't keep them up in storage or work them out on the back before they are sold then put them up.  The aim is to attract as wide a market as possible for them. 

It's no different than any of us here noticing how quickly private seller air cooled cars are moving, why should it be suprising when it's at a dealer?

Repatriation of UK imported cars was always going to happen.  

There's a lot more pommies than there are Aussies.  And they didn't look after their car stock, leaving them outside and driving them up and down salty roads.

So while the depreciation curve hits hard in the UK and sends Porsches to these fair shores,  when it ticks back up again the stronger currency reverses the flow of cars and they'll all start to go back home again.

I get it, but that's not the case with CTS. Can't speak for Dutton's or Autohaus etc.

I know the guys at CTS, the Porsche's they've all just sold they got in over the last 2 weeks. They don't keep them up in storage or work them out on the back before they are sold then put them up. The aim is to attract as wide a market as possible for them.

It's no different than any of us here noticing how quickly private seller air cooled cars are moving, why should it be suprising when it's at a dealer?

I get that the sales are legit, and that can happen quickly ....

I think the surprise comes when the private seller sells his car in 5 minutes, and the dealer also sells the "same car" in the same "5 minutes" but $20k more than the private guy ....

I personally think that would take more than 5 minutes to put that deal together as if it was easy to sell a $50k car for $70k, then we would all be doing it and then the dealers car would be $90k, and so the cycle continues .....

Yes, they are selling cars at a rate of knots .... I just find it hard to fathom that they sell them $20k over the equivalent private sales price in the same "5 minutes" .....

Mind you .... stranger things have happened!

UK cars exported to oz back in the day then repatriated

may still cop duties and tax

Only if you were the person who exported the car in the first place would it be possible to import it back into the UK without having to pay VAT and duty (20% & 10% respectively). The costs on arrival would be similar to importing a car from the UK to Oz, ie, expensive.

Archived