986 BOXSTERS AND 996 911's FUTURE CLASSICS

I think there are just 'too many' 996s and 986s currently for them to move the way air cooled cars have.

When you look at australian delivery figures for the 60s/70s/80s/90s of air cooled 911's there were 20-50 each year. There are so many more watercooled 911's

But i'd say give it time, look at the Mustang! they made millions and now they're worth money

Guys, we all know that the 944 is the next classic and sure to appreciate in value in the short term :) Here's hoping anyway LOL

They did race the 944 Turbo, so it does have some pedigree and with all the bad examples and neglected or wrecked ones over the years the "common" 944 is becoming far less common. When was the last time a good one passed you in your daily travels???

When was the last time a good one passed you in your daily travels???

Today. Well , I passed it and got in. Actually there a few around Hobart and a couple of 968s.

Still waiting to see 944s go up in value. I was offered one for $1200 last week.

Porsche are now swimming in a sea of other capable brands. Which is why they had to branch out of their core business of pure sports cars many years ago.

Cars , including luxury cars,  are now regarded as commodities by a public used to short leases and dealer service agreements.

The youth of today may or may not lust after 986s and 996s , but I suspect not. The Cayman might be a dark horse in the collectability stakes.

Given the huge production run , the wreckers will be stocked with lots of spare bits for the decades ahead. And the aftermarket will sell a bunch of IMS kits too.

Oh yeah well GOOD 944s , they are worth a mint ; even the na ones have almost as much power as an SC and of course they handle so much better (refer PCNSW motorkhana and supersprint results).

Better?

so much better, thanks Tas. The 944 community salute you my friend ??

"The 911 996 covers model years 1998-2005 for a total production of 172,262 Porsches"

might be a classic, but will be hard pressed to ever be that valuable with these kind of production numbers. 

Depends how desirable they become? A lot of SCs and 3.2s were made and now they are very desirable.

I find the 996 more desirable than either a SC or 3.2 and if they stay affordable for long enough one could find it's way to me.... Yeah that makes me crazy ,I like 928s and 996s :ph34r:

60ish thousand SC's, 70ish thousand 3.2's, so a lot less. Agree that 996's are desirable cars, just saying they are unlikely to ever have inflated pricing like the earlier cars because there are so many of them. Especially when there is just as many 997's if not more also in the market. Not a bad thing though. It means there will be alot of accessibly priced good quality Porches in the near future so way more people can own them. There will still be the issue as to whether these new owners, who will be able to pick up a 911 for $15k in the very near future, will be able to afford to maintain them properly

Not a bad thing though. It means there will be alot of accessibly priced good quality Porches in the near future so way more people can own them. 

But do you think the cachet of "Porsche" has been lost? Remember when BMWs were an unusual sight? Well some of us do. 20 years ago my old Austrian friend wondered why Aussies thought they were anything special. He said they were "like Commodores" back home - completely expendable, even the 6 & 7 series.

Some 996s and Boxsters (15k now) will hit 10k before long, because they are now "common" and not DIY friendly.

But do you think the cachet of "Porsche" has been lost? Remember when BMWs were an unusual sight? Well some of us do. 20 years ago my old Austrian friend wondered why Aussies thought they were anything special. He said they were "like Commodores" back home - completely expendable, even the 6 & 7 series.

Some 996s and Boxsters will hit 10k before long, because they are now "common" and not DIY friendly.

yes and no. Your first Porsche whatever model will always be special. The 911 does seem to have taken a back step though with an ever increasing number of variants that Porsche are making. Much more of a fashion statement sadly and so quickly replaced with a newer 'better' model. Part of the reason why personally I have lost interest in new cars - they feed on the natural human instinct for continual progress and you can spend a ridiculous amount of money only to have it superseded the following year.

Kind of amusing to think soon a whole generation of P-platers that will be driving around in 996's as their first cars ;)

Kind of amusing to think soon a whole generation of P-platers that will be driving around in 996's as their first cars 

At my son's school they are already driving Cayenne's and X5s. And utes. Local dealer drops his son off in the 991.

A ratrod slightly rusty Boxster might be my choice if on my Ps. Piss parents, teachers, cyclists and purists off simultaneously.

Now there's a thought.

"The 911 996 covers model years 1998-2005 for a total production of 172,262 Porsches"

might be a classic, but will be hard pressed to ever be that valuable with these kind of production numbers. 

Of that 172,000~ 

5000~ are GT cars....

Roughly 3% 

do math... 

Of those 996's how many are coupes and manuals. There was a hell of a lot of automatics made, even more than ever before.

Remember to break down between first and second gen as you might as well say SC's and 3.2's are the same.

If rareity means collectability some 996 numbers (most of the no are pretty close)

996 GT3 RS - 04_05,  682 Built

996 GT 2        01_ 03, 1287 Built

996 Turbo S   04_ 05, 1563 "     "

996 GT3         98_2000, 1858 "    "

996 Anerv:       03_04,     1963 "    "

Gen 2 GT3       03_05,     2313 "   "

Gen 2 C4           02_04,    10386 "   "

Turbo                 01_05,     20499 "  '

C4                      98_01       22054 "   "

C4S                  01_05         23055 "   "

Gen 2 C2          02_04        29389 "   "

996 carrera       98_01        56733  Built