Fuel

LeeM

I had an interesting (enlightening) chat with Mark Poole the other day regarding 98 ULP.

I put 10 litres in the tank one day prior to dropping the car off, and he asked if it had any old fuel in it that I had not removed.

He tells me that 98 ULP goes off after a certain period of time, and can cause pinging when the car is driven again after sitting idle for a month or 2

Some of his clients that race 911's have left fuel in the tank for few weeks in between race meetings, then had some pretty major engine problems at the next race.

Basically, he advises to only put in what you really need for a particular trip, and not fill it up.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on this? Do you fill your cars and leave it sitting? Just thought I'd bring it to your attention if you weren't aware 

I generally only have my tank at a maxium of half full .... and that's if I'm going on a run .... by the time I get home my gauge sits on 1/4 or less.

I'm not sure about the fuel going off, but from what I have heard, I certainly wouldn't leave a lot of fuel in the tank for exactly the reasons you have stated above.

BTW ... I also only use 98 ULP and I've never had any issues at all.

don`t get cocky and leave for months though,I have had to totally disassemble,ultrasonically clean injectors and rebuild 2 fuel injection systems,including replacing fuel pumps on bikes that were left unused for months.

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the fuel being a couple of months old as I have no evidence to suggest you will notice the difference,I am talking about not starting or driving for months, as once the fuel dries out in the injection rails or carby bowls it can(I have seen it) turn to a jelly like substance and has to be physically cleaned out. Also submersed fuel pumps if not fully submersed can and do sieze up.PITA

I've always had a notion that steel fuel tanks should be keep full to minimise corrosion from condensation in the airspace.  Is that idea similar to the one about not using the handbrake to avoid stretching the cable....

I've always had a notion that steel fuel tanks should be keep full to minimise corrosion from condensation in the airspace.  Is that idea similar to the one about not using the handbrake to avoid stretching the cable....

Totally agree, and since getting caught out with rusty alfa tank and siezed fuel pumps, I fill my tanks on the way home, not on my way out possibly a month or so later.

I asked Mark about filling the tank before storing it for any length of time.

His reply was that racers used to do that (including himself) yet for whatevere reason, they empty the tanks after a race meeting. 

I wouldve thought condensation would be a factor doing that (I did say that to him) yet I'm assured this is the practise now

I haven't driven my red one in quite some time (at least 6-8 weeks), it probably has about 1/4 of a tank of fuel in it. Should I then be emptying this and refilling prior to heading out next time? 

I tend to only use BP (98) and the car is stored in a cool & dry environment.

You have me worried now.................:ph34r:

Is this a storm in a teacup?

I can neither tell the difference between using 95 or 98 nor the differences in brands when I drive.

My tanks are sometimes full ("You beauty!") but often stored closer to around quarter full.

My cars always start instantly as they are kept on charge between drives.

The 30 year old steel tank and gauze filter looked fine and clean when I inspected it internally recently and I'm confident it will make at least another 20.

The 20 year old plastic tank and gauze filter looked fine and clean when I inspected it internally recently too.

I've heard of plenty of fuel myths and legends but afraid I haven't any data to contribute and will just continue with my ignorant ways.

What's next?

Who wants to do a group buy of German air for our tyres?

I hear that the depleted ozone in Australia air causes premature hardening of the rubber compounds and therefore could be dangerous.  I also read on the internet that our air doesn't have the same shock absorbing properties and those with adjustable Belstein's and Koni's need to run half a notch more rebound front and rear.

Just relaying what I was told by a Porsche mechanic that builds and tunes race cars for a living. Whether its correct or not for a road car that isn't seeing mega revs is up to the chemistry boffins to chime in with their knowledge.

It made sense to me, yet you have people saying one thing and others saying another, so believe what you want to believe until you find out the facts.

I would think that a quarter of a tank at rest would be fine, then add new fuel to mix it up ready for the next hoon....errr....leisurely drive. I just wouldnt leave it for 2 or 3 months going by the advice I received

Back when I use to display my old car, they had a rule at Jeff's Shed that you had to have a full tank before you could enter, because it was less of a fire risk. The vapours are more dangerous than the fuel according to their insurance company.

Archived