Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Always enjoy your exploits and glad to see it was nothing major.  I'm sure you're all over it but from my modest experience with similar tech old bike engines It's much more normal for clearances to gradually decrease as the engine beds in due to valve-to-seat settling (normal) or sometimes valve stretch (not normal!).  Clearances opening up are usually some valve tip depression if they're point-load adjusters, or perhaps lobe/rocker wear (hope not!). 
I'm not familiar with AC911s but If they're M7 thread adjusters the 'elephants foot' adjusters from Rotax aircraft engines give the valve tips a nice easy life but can be a tight fit on some engines as they require a bit of room between rocker and valve.  First port of call just keep an eye on it and see if it recurs.

9 hours ago, st3ve said:

Always enjoy your exploits and glad to see it was nothing major.  I'm sure you're all over it but from my modest experience with similar tech old bike engines It's much more normal for clearances to gradually decrease as the engine beds in due to valve-to-seat settling (normal) or sometimes valve stretch (not normal!).  Clearances opening up are usually some valve tip depression if they're point-load adjusters, or perhaps lobe/rocker wear (hope not!). 
I'm not familiar with AC911s but If they're M7 thread adjusters the 'elephants foot' adjusters from Rotax aircraft engines give the valve tips a nice easy life but can be a tight fit on some engines as they require a bit of room between rocker and valve.  First port of call just keep an eye on it and see if it recurs.

Well the jury is out. I didn't think to much about it at the time, but I think there is more too it. It happened reasonably suddenly that it was out of adjustment. Others have also mentioned that it should not be out that much and I think there may be more serious issues afoot. 

I have just gotten back from thrashing the guts out of it for 3 days, so I need to look more deeply into it.

2 hours ago, MFX said:

I have just gotten back from thrashing the guts out of it for 3 days....

Mmmm, possible overrev resulting in a valve gently kissing a piston?

Maybe pressurise that cylinder with air to see if that particular valve is still seating properly.

17 hours ago, MFX said:

This week I investigate a nasty noise coming from Harry's engine, hoping it is not too serious.

That look of relief on your face at start up was priceless, well done mate

38 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Mmmm, possible overrev resulting in a valve gently kissing a piston?

Maybe pressurise that cylinder with air to see if that particular valve is still seating properly.

Doubting it is an overrev as it is build to rev to 8k and I have the redline set at 7.5, but who knows at this stage. I definitely need to investigate further.

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/04/2023 at 18:29, MFX said:

Some of the cool kids go on the Alpine Range Rally through the Victorian alps every year, so we are the Rejects who decided to do it ourselves.

What you mean there is a cool boys club????

IMG-20230331-WA0001.thumb.jpg.1c51c0111a02c27a9dd1e85c381270f9.jpg

I did the VIC alps last month in a Clio RS. 

You did miss the best road in that region though. Omeo to Mitta Mitta is 112kms of the best roads you will possibly find in VIC. 

Also at Danny's lookout 

IMG-20230313-WA0022.thumb.jpg.b94e251378063bcaa65585652c5d062b.jpg

43 minutes ago, woot woot said:

What you mean there is a cool boys club????

IMG-20230331-WA0001.thumb.jpg.1c51c0111a02c27a9dd1e85c381270f9.jpg

I did the VIC alps last month in a Clio RS. 

You did miss the best road in that region though. Omeo to Mitta Mitta is 112kms of the best roads you will possibly find in VIC. 

Also at Danny's lookout 

Haha. The cool kids I am referring to is 'The Alpine Range Rally', which is a group of Victorian Porsche guys who go every year. Like a lot of these groups (I am part of a similar Tassie group), once people see how cool it is they want to join, but you need to keep the numbers down a bit or else it would get too big.

As for that road, we were planning on doing the loop through Falls Creek, but the road between there and Mt Beauty was closed at the time. I have already been working on a different loop for next year ;)

10 hours ago, MFX said:

Haha. The cool kids I am referring to is 'The Alpine Range Rally', which is a group of Victorian Porsche guys who go every year. Like a lot of these groups (I am part of a similar Tassie group), once people see how cool it is they want to join, but you need to keep the numbers down a bit or else it would get too big.

As for that road, we were planning on doing the loop through Falls Creek, but the road between there and Mt Beauty was closed at the time. I have already been working on a different loop for next year ;)

Yeah I totally understand, once you get more than 4 cars in the group it can get pretty difficult to arrange things.

If you go to Mitta Mitta via Omeo, you can loop back via Mt beauty via some back roads for about 1.5 hours heading north, then back south, or head back towards Omeo and then over falls creek back to Mt beauty. The Mitta Mitta brewery and the pub on the river have the main food options in that area.

Both ways have twisty roads, but be aware of the lack of 98 octane fuel outside of Bright. Omeo and Mitta Mitta have 95. So bring some octane booster as you are in pretty remote areas.

As always I enjoy watching your road trip videos. Keep them up :) they have actually been a really big inspiration for me to get out and do more driving trips in the last 12 months.

On 07/04/2023 at 21:03, MFX said:

Appreciate you saying so Jeff. It's never been about exclusivity for us, but just managing numbers. I'd love to have more people along but we worked out that 20 was the max we could work with, keeping our eye on everything from ensuring the group largely stays together, accommodation and food for everyone. We feel a real responsibility to the people who attend and there's a huge amount of planning involved - 20 is definitely as big as I can manage.

1 hour ago, Andy73 said:

Appreciate you saying so Jeff. It's never been about exclusivity for us, but just managing numbers. I'd love to have more people along but we worked out that 20 was the max we could work with, keeping our eye on everything from ensuring the group largely stays together, accommodation and food for everyone. We feel a real responsibility to the people who attend and there's a huge amount of planning involved - 20 is definitely as big as I can manage.

I totally get it. I saw how cool it looked which I thought I would have fun calling ourselves the rejects ;) . Even 20 cars gets too much most of the time. 10 I think is a nice, manageable number, otherwise accomodation and just keeping a group together turns into a logistical nightmare. 

• 9 months later...