Home built Hot Rod

MFX

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Heavier than I thought, but for a car with great A/C and an overkill roll cage, it makes sense.

Yeah, but still not a heavy car in the scheme of things.  You've inspired me to run my G50 3.2 over a weighbridge on the next fuel fill.  I'll post my number for comparison.

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

Yeah, but still not a heavy car in the scheme of things.  You've inspired me to run my G50 3.2 over a weighbridge on the next fuel fill.  I'll post my number for comparison.

That would be interesting to hear what it comes in at in the real world.

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2022 at 08:32, Peter M said:

1160kg fully wet!  Interesting, thanks for posting Jeff.

On 01/08/2022 at 12:56, MFX said:

Heavier than I thought, but for a car with great A/C and an overkill roll cage, it makes sense.

On 01/08/2022 at 14:23, Peter M said:

On 01/08/2022 at 16:29, MFX said:

That would be interesting to hear what it comes in at in the real world.

Well, my fully wet weight is much heavier than yours.   Not by a little but a lot!

Would you believe 1325kg fully wet!

9 hours ago, Peter M said:

Well, my fully wet weight is much heavier than yours.   Not by a little but a lot!

Would you believe 1325kg fully wet!

Interesting. I suppose my car has fibreglass front and rear bumpers, not the heavy impacts, as well as FG front guards and rear deck lid. It also has lightweight buckets, where I assume you probably have electric seats which weight quite a lot. Still that is quite a difference. 

1 hour ago, OZ930 said:

What could be interesting are the power to weight ratios 

That is very difficult to work out unless they were both put on the same dyno back to back as power figures vary far too much from dyno to dyno.

57 minutes ago, MFX said:

That is very difficult to work out unless they were both put on the same dyno back to back as power figures vary far too much from dyno to dyno.

Yeah true, but ballpark with a bit of fudge would give a comparison.  Not worried about accuracy.  Just interested.

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

Nah!  Cut to the chase, roll on drags at Luftwasser! 😁

Haha. I have driven on track with plenty of other 911's and my car is quicker than any stockish 3.2 I have come against by a margin. The 3.6 swapped early cars blow my doors off though. So I am somewhere in the middle ;)

My last recorded Hp to the wheels was roughly 200hp, so I have a hp/kg of 0.1724

I am planning on heading to the dyno again in a couple of months so I will see if the exhaust has actually made power or if it just feels like it has ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff - quick Q for you: how happy are you with the sound deadening and would you do it any differently if done again? I saw in you Alfa build you added more of the butyl rubber mat to the firewall. I’ll be starting on that myself in the not too distant future so figuring on completely covering the rear firewall on the 911 and doing patches elsewhere. But any other tips or ideas would be welcome. 

17 hours ago, Wobbly said:

Hi Jeff - quick Q for you: how happy are you with the sound deadening and would you do it any differently if done again? I saw in you Alfa build you added more of the butyl rubber mat to the firewall. I’ll be starting on that myself in the not too distant future so figuring on completely covering the rear firewall on the 911 and doing patches elsewhere. But any other tips or ideas would be welcome. 

I found the Car Builders videos useful and I notice the Car Builders materials are now more widely available at various auto parts shops.  I thought their materials were good quality too.

(2) Car Builders - Sound & Heat - YouTube

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...