How do you wash your car.

Fraz

Hand polishing can certainly remove the Opticoat.  I had a couple of areas around the rear fascia where the paint was scuffed by grubby mechanic's hands :angry:.  I carefully polished out the marks with a good quality swirl remover.  It's only obvious where the Opticoat rubbed off when the car gets wet.

Interesting, I thought that would be the case. From that perspective opticoat maybe not the best option on a black car given swirls are next to impossible to prevent. Can you recommend a good hand polish harvs? I'm not confident enough to use power tools on the paint but a good polish that doesnt need a hundred steps to remove fine marks is what im after.

http://juicepolishes.com.au/product/swirl-remover/

I got a small amount of it from the panel shop at work.   It's meant to be used with a machine but is good for small areas by hand. 

I have a litre of SWIRL and agree completely with Harvs it is a great product.   Used it on my 2010 CX7 about 8 months ago.

It was $66.54 for the litre back then I picked it up from ART (Automotive RefinishTechnology) here in Moorabbin.

The CX was starting to suffer from some whilrls etc but it came up like new.  It is not a harsh product as the name may sort of suggest.

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

Sorry for polluting the Forum with Mazda photos but that is how it came up, I did use a small buffer machine to apply the stuff and then took it off by hand.   Great product.

I've been using my Stihl leaf blower to dry my cars for years. It's quick, easy and doesn't scratch anything. I guess if you've got neighbours you'd have to give them a weeks notice otherwise you'll have the police around with noise complaints. 

I've been using my Stihl leaf blower to dry my cars for years. It's quick, easy and doesn't scratch anything. I guess if you've got neighbours you'd have to give them a weeks notice otherwise you'll have the police around with noise complaints. 

It does do a good job but I find the car still needs a wipe over with a microfibre cloth. Also the car has to be waxed/sealed etc for the water to blow away properly.

When I had a car i used the snow foam maker and the two bucket process (typically only on the lower parts of the cards that needed it) and a waffle towel to dry it.

But i think i'm looking the idea of the Ryobi battery leave blower (top match my new whipper snipper)

OK That is what I should have been doing, in reality i used to take it to the local spin bowlers and enjoy a latte

When I had a car i used the snow foam maker and the two bucket process (typically only on the lower parts of the cards that needed it) and a waffle towel to dry it.

But i think i'm looking the idea of the Ryobi battery leave blower (top match my new whipper snipper)

OK That is what I should have been doing, in reality i used to take it to the local spin bowlers and enjoy a latte

Ha ha, Did you bring some of that stuff back from Amsterdam?:blink:

On another note, im interested to know what some of you are doing for drying the car? I think this is where most of the fine marks are occuring with my black car. I have been using a leaf blower to blow out the majority of the sitting water then going over it with a microfibre cloth but I cant help but feel that some lubrication is needed for drying too. I like the idea of Larry Ks product that he sells for drying but its cost prohibitive to be buying that from the US as id imagine you;d use quite a bit. Is there a product locally available that can be sprayed on to the microbfibre cloth as you dry the paint that wont cost the earth?

I've been wanting to get some of this Ammo Hydrate also but as you said, expensive from the States.

To dry, i just carefully use a large waffle microfibre and go from top to bottom as Harvs mentioned earlier and also from front to back, minimising any unnecessary left to right. I'm still paranoid that I am going to see a return to swirls after the recent cut and polish. 

Is anyone using just a good old Carnauba Wax for paint protection? If so, how often are you reapplying? I've been using P21S and I reapply every 6 months but not sure if I need to do it more frequently. 

Thanks Mike, I have been going to get one for the hose system.

i will get one tomorrow.  Is there a particular brand name on it?

Whoops, missed this thread over the weekend. Don't think there's much of a difference. You won't get as much foam as a proper pressure wash one, but it's great for making sure some more of the initial dirt slides off. I would say it's suds rather than foam.

Is anyone using just a good old Carnauba Wax for paint protection? If so, how often are you reapplying? I've been using P21S and I reapply every 6 months but not sure if I need to do it more frequently. 

Carnauba isn't the best with Australian summer conditions. At a surface temperature of 82c it melts straight off your paint work. Use a synthetic carnauba at the very least for Australia. I stick to hydrophobic polymer waxes only. They're only slightly more expensive but are a lot more durable and are suited to our coditions.

Damn, went and tried two different Bunnings Stores on Saturday to no avail.   The floor walkers there couldn't help either, then tried a Masters, no good again.

Came home peed off.   Got on line, bit the bullet and ordered one which is a lot dearer, from THE CHEMICAL GUYS.

Good thing is.... it arrived today in the Aust Post.   And it looks pretty good.

Damn, went and tried two different Bunnings Stores on Saturday to no avail.   The floor walkers there couldn't help either, then tried a Masters, no good again.

Came home peed off.   Got on line, bit the bullet and ordered one which is a lot dearer, from THE CHEMICAL GUYS.

Good thing is.... it arrived today in the Aust Post.   And it looks pretty good.

What I find amazing about that is Aus Post delivered something in under 3 days!!

By far the easiest way to spray for bindii's every season I have found.  Never thought to use for foaming a car though!

What I currently use for washing a car.  Works well but would be easier to use when using the wash mitt if the nozzle was shorter.  (No two buckets for me, foam nozzle in one hand and a wash mitt on the other.)

Here is the gear I use.

Karcher pressure washers for a pre rinse.

BD1EF6EA-6E14-4839-B5E6-D6FB9ECFA091_zps

Foam with this adjustable Karcher foamer.

74E95FFD-FE76-41E8-AE9C-4408001F3DC1_zps

PH Neutral wash so I don't strip off my wax.

1991DB58-D007-48E2-A342-7E989DEAC5DC_zps

Or if I want to take the wax off I use CT18 truck wash.

Wheels I have these brushes, yellow one my wifie bought home from spotlight and works a treat.  

805D2C1D-C0E3-41DB-A8F3-D985E6CEE175_zps

If any wants this small Karcher foamer in Melb's let me know. Free.

D1F81D56-FDD4-4A76-8051-69FBFED0CDE4_zps

good stuff Fraz, I use a costco pressure cleaner and it also came with a foaming tool. Currently using mcguiars ultimate car wash (the yellow stuff) and it smells great but doesnt produce enough suds which is annoying. On the hunt for another pH neutral that actually foams. Id love to order a bunch of Adams products and there is an aus distributor but it seems nothing is in stock on their website.

Archived