Hughesy & edgy's excellent 911 adventure: Melbourne to Sydney

edgy

The brief: Collect our new acquisitions from Melbourne, mine from RSR in Richmond, the other from Cairns Classic in Hallam. 

The cars: 2007 GT3 & 2004 996 Carrera 4S

The route: No way we were going to do the freeway all the way! :lol: With some local advice and Google Maps we came up with a nice route home which took us up through the Dandy Ranges and then into wine country eventually joining the freeway at Benalla. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-21%20at%2011.47.

Some pics of course! 

Meeting the Carrera 4S for the first time. 

IMG_9630_zps1eegp1z1.jpg

I needed to top up my tank and I saw a nice little old fashioned service station after Monbulk, my kind of place, an old Italian guy owned it, he came out to talk about our cars then took us into his man cave to show us his collection of classic cars.. what treat that was. :) 

IMG_9631_zpsb57fkt55.jpg

IMG_9632_zpsxljwuw1p.jpg

IMG_9657_zpsroag7v6q.jpg

IMG_9672_zps1yfufvvc.jpg

I think we were too busy enjoying the drive & scenery to take many photos between that stop and the highway! 

IMG_9641_zpskcj804ut.jpg

Hauled ass all the way to Holbrook for some pies. 

IMG_9643_zpsuijjqbhq.jpg

IMG_9645_zpseerqwjdk.jpg

IMG_9646_zpsxyz8t26d.jpg

IMG_9647_zpsjwslckau.jpg

Time to hit the freeway again! 

IMG_9652_zpsicjhudek.jpg

IMG_9653_zpsjddxctrw.jpg

Home & Hosed, literally.. gave Monsieur Lapis a quick bath. 

IMG_9686_zpsbdos1jul.jpg

IMG_9737_zpsn41t6s7a.jpg

All in all an epic adventure and was great to be able to share the drive back with Hughesy & my Dad even joined me for the drive back. 

well done boys.   The cars look sensational.

Have to find out more about your Monbulk contact......What did he have in there that might interest us VIC P people?

top effort kurt , thanks for posting. it was fun

hughesy

niko....not sure if theres any cars of great interest  a LHD fiat 500, about a 74 monaro, lots of tractors and a 53 or 54 yank tank and a 60's vespa

top effort kurt , thanks for posting. it was fun

hughesy

niko....not sure if theres any cars of great interest  a LHD fiat 500, about a 74 monaro, lots of tractors and a 53 or 54 yank tank and a 60's vespa

errgghh yep,   ok thanks for that Hughesy....arrgghhh each to their own I guess...:wacko:

Was worth the question...

well done boys.   The cars look sensational.

Have to find out more about your Monbulk contact......What did he have in there that might interest us VIC P people?

Princi Motors Silvan...been there forever, has had lots of different bits n pieces hidden away in there over the decades - fun trip guys and cars look beautiful cheers to you both

we need a pfa sydney smt to give you guys a chance to show off your new wheels soon...

that 4S looks great, but that GT3... just wow!

I will get onto organising a social catch up right now. :) 

I don't think there is too many opportunities for a drive between now & Rennsport...at least not for me.

Awesome! What better cars to do that in! I've always enjoyed my acquisition road trips, have fun with it and enjoy.

Cheers, yes I am sure you get to do this more than most of us mate! :)  

That would have been fun boys. Were the Bonnie Doon strip clubs as good as your last big adventure Edgy?

No strip clubs without Blue964 I am afraid... 

Awesome!

P.S How good are those pies. 

They had a lasagne one... I had to have it, I enjoyed it.... but it lasted the drive home if you know what I mean? :lol: Bushman Pie & Chunky Pepper Steak are where its at. 

Well done guys, looks like a fun trip :)

How are the cars living up to expectations back in real life....?

After nearly 1000 kms in the 997, I will offer my feedback. 

I owned the 996 GT3 for about 3 years, its my benchmark if you will, the 997 is more civilised & refined, I feel as though I could drive it every day to be frank. My 997 has the electric comfort seats where as the 996 had the fixed back Recaro seats, so its obviously easier to get in & out of! Having said that once you are in the seats, the Recaro seats are WAY better. I will probably change these out at some stage for a better seat & fit a roll bar.  The extensive use of Alcantara in the 997 is a welcome addition mind you.

From a design perspective I find the 997 interior is more attractive than the 996, oddly enough I find the overall "feel" of the 996 (well my old one) more superior, it just felt more special, more premium. Keeping in mind my 997 has little in the way of options and the 996 had FULL leather & Carbon, which really does add to the over feel of the interior, also the 997 interior seems a little more cramped in the driver seat than the 996, the 996 has a sense of space to it.... odd observations maybe but thats my read on it. 

To drive, the 996 is quite intense, extremely driver focused car, more so than the 997... the 997 seems to feel a little, bigger? like there is a sense of solidity to it where as the 996 drive was really go kart like. 

Overall the essence is still 100% GT3 in both cars, I guess its simply the next evolution of it.. like it has 'grown up' the 991 GT3 is the same again, but on another level. 

I think they are both attractive cars in their own right, the 996 has definitely aged well.. its improving with age if anything! People might start feeling the same soon.... 

I got to say though, the 997 GT3 & 996 GT3 are currently priced very close and let me tell you its a tough call!! Not a day goes by I don't think about my 996, luck it hasn't gone too far.. :D 

I've driven just under 1000 km now most of it highway driving but today I did 60km in traffic and the difference between the 964 and the 996 is chalk and cheese

Whilst the 964 has that all air cooled  charm and is quite a smooth ride on its original rims the 996 is so much sharper you are much more engaged in the drive and you can feel the road so much more 

The responsiveness of the 996 is phenomenal I guess that could be because it's essentially a turbo Porsche without the turbo motor  so it handles breaks and performs beautifully and the creature comforts of on command air conditioning and surround sound stereo combined with sublime seating and Cabin  ergonomics really make it stand out from the 964 

I really am torn between the two cars   The 964 has the shape the smell the rawness that I so love in the Porsche and yet for me the 996 is an all-round better car. But then I suppose it should be it is 15 years newer

I guess I'm extremely blessed that I have SC to fall back on should I ever decide to part with the 964. It's a first world problem I know but I guess I'll just have to bear it 

so for now I'll just keep driving them until I decide which one has to make space for a 928 and that's a nice headache

I owned the 996 GT3 for about 3 years, its my benchmark if you will, the 997 is more civilised & refined, I feel as though I could drive it every day to be frank. My 997 has the electric comfort seats where as the 996 had the fixed back Recaro seats, so its obviously easier to get in & out of! Having said that once you are in the seats, the Recaro seats are WAY better. I will probably change these out at some stage for a better seat & fit a roll bar.  The extensive use of Alcantara in the 997 is a welcome addition mind you.

From a design perspective I find the 997 interior is more attractive than the 996, oddly enough I find the overall "feel" of the 996 (well my old one) more superior, it just felt more special, more premium. Keeping in mind my 997 has little in the way of options and the 996 had FULL leather & Carbon, which really does add to the over feel of the interior, also the 997 interior seems a little more cramped in the driver seat than the 996, the 996 has a sense of space to it.... odd observations maybe but thats my read on it. 

To drive, the 996 is quite intense, extremely driver focused car, more so than the 997... the 997 seems to feel a little, bigger? like there is a sense of solidity to it where as the 996 drive was really go kart like. 

Overall the essence is still 100% GT3 in both cars, I guess its simply the next evolution of it.. like it has 'grown up' the 991 GT3 is the same again, but on another level. 

I think they are both attractive cars in their own right, the 996 has definitely aged well.. its improving with age if anything! People might start feeling the same soon.... 

I got to say though, the 997 GT3 & 996 GT3 are currently priced very close and let me tell you its a tough call!! Not a day goes by I don't think about my 996, luck it hasn't gone too far.. :D 

Sounds like you win either way, 996 or 997 both great cars :)

Interesting about the interiors.

I've driven just under 1000 km now most of it highway driving but today I did 60km in traffic and the difference between the 964 and the 996 is chalk and cheese

Whilst the 964 has that all air cooled  charm and is quite a smooth ride on its original rims the 996 is so much sharper you are much more engaged in the drive and you can feel the road so much more 

The responsiveness of the 996 is phenomenal I guess that could be because it's essentially a turbo Porsche without the turbo motor  so it handles breaks and performs beautifully and the creature comforts of on command air conditioning and surround sound stereo combined with sublime seating and Cabin  ergonomics really make it stand out from the 964 

I really am torn between the two cars   The 964 has the shape the smell the rawness that I so love in the Porsche and yet for me the 996 is an all-round better car. But then I suppose it should be it is 15 years newer

I guess I'm extremely blessed that I have SC to fall back on should I ever decide to part with the 964. It's a first world problem I know but I guess I'll just have to bear it 

so for now I'll just keep driving them until I decide which one has to make space for a 928 and that's a nice headache

Interesting views as well. Glad to hear that the 996 impresses you so much in comparison to the 964. And very glad to hear that a 928 will soon fill a space in your fleet :D

To drive, the 996 is quite intense, extremely driver focused car, more so than the 997... 

I think they are both attractive cars in their own right, the 996 has definitely aged well.. its improving with age if anything!

+1. 

Okay Kurt, now you've got me excited...it's been a while since I've given my GT3 a good flogging so we need to go for a drive soon.

that's a bloody good looking C4S @Hughesy. Congrats on the new car

From a design perspective I find the 997 interior is more attractive than the 996,  

To be honest Kurt I find the general interior in my GT3 rather cheap and plastic and much prefer the interiors of the later GT3s, not that it's difficult to improve on the interior of a 996GT3.

Archived