It's finally time -993

JB

Hi gents,

great information never really posted as I have nothing to contribute up until this point. I've had 996's 997's but since I was a kid always wanted a 993. Finally minister for my happiness has sanctioned approval.

always wanted a carrera and should have bought one 4 years ago before prices went sky high. In saying that I am now looking at a targa as a carrera seems to be out of my current reach.

So what do I need to look for?

is a targa worth considering or do I wait for the right carrera to show up or based on prices I was going to go back to a 997 S or 4S

Any advice tips greatly appreciated. This car will be my keeper car for many years to come.

thanks

jonathan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JB, welcome!

I'd be holding out for a coupe, you may need to be patient but I believe it would be the better option. I'm not a 993 owner but I'm sure others will chime in with their 2 cents.

Best of luck on the search. 

What kind of 993 are you looking for? Preference on LHD vs RHD? Auto or Manual?

I guess what Im getting at is, what are you willing to sacrifice to get into a 993? 
If you dont care so much about the particulars, get the nicest example for your budget. If not, personally Id hold out as well. If youve always wanted a Coupe, dont kid yourself, youll always still want one. 

Hi guys thanks. To clarify I am a purest so looking for a manual, original (subtle changes fine) good ownership and history, in a good interior colour! 

So pretty much what most are looking for!

i am in Melbourne Victoria if that helps. I am considering this particular car because of all of the factors above, excluding the coupe (I would never have a soft top) and anything decent is either out of my price range or like the last one I missed sold in 20 mins of being listed- black one in Malvern vic.

So either wait, have your cash ready and be brave (ie Junp when one cones up) or start to compromise your list of requirements.

I wanted a manual when I bought mine,and ended up with tip.  And yes, it's for sale now.

thanks Chris. A tip is something I am not prepared to compromise on, in saying that have many attempted the conversion route, and the costs associated?

it's probably not the done thing.. too hard.. too expensive.. When I had my 964 tip, I didnt search too hard to find someone to do it, but the small effort I made yielded no follow through by anyone that posted online on pelican, rennlist, etc etc etc

HOWEVER, here is all the stuff you need, apparently... "just add arms and legs".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-993-G50-20-Manual-Transmission-Gear-Box-Conversion-Kit-6-Six-Speed-/161794649779?fits=Make%3APorsche&hash=item25abb66eb3:g:yE0AAOSwd0BVznfv&vxp=mtr

Pretty sure there is a member here, who did convert his 993 to manual, before bringing out out to Australia recently, and just sold it?

Hi guys thanks. To clarify I am a purest so looking for a manual, original (subtle changes fine) good ownership and history, in a good interior colour! 

So pretty much what most are looking for!

i am in Melbourne Victoria if that helps. I am considering this particular car because of all of the factors above, excluding the coupe (I would never have a soft top) and anything decent is either out of my price range or like the last one I missed sold in 20 mins of being listed- black one in Malvern vic.

Good luck on your search. Just out of interest the black 993 C2S in Malvern was that a tipper converted to manual or a LHD converted to RHD?  The carsales ad was a little vague.  The guy wanted 165K for it I recall?

My advice is hang out for what you want !

Good luck on your search. Just out of interest the black 993 C2S in Malvern was that a tipper converted to manual or a LHD converted to RHD?  The carsales ad was a little vague.  The guy wanted 165K for it I recall?

My advice is hang out for what you want !

Yes it was a conversion. but not sure what was converted as i didn't get that far with the guy as when i inquired 12 hours after listing it was already sold.

i want to hang out but have been hanging out for 5 years, i have a window of this year then opportunity potentially closes again due to other financial commitments. i really want my dream which is a 993, however just even getting quotes now on the insurance is scary. that's why my secondary pick was going back to a 997 as its cheaper, more practical and cheaper to insure (love porsches no mater what) and again i would just keep it. i'm concerned ive missed the boat on the whole 993 senerio hence why i was contemplating this slim opportunity  the targa for sale, as it ticks all the boxes except the roof.

can really only spend up to $140-$145k, but would prefer to be comfortable and spending closer to $100, hence why the 997 comes into the consideration set.

cheers

Jonathan

Pretty sure I heard of AH doing a conversion from auto to manual on a 993 and they said they would never do it again. A conversion just sold a few months ago that was an HK import. Silver one that i'm pretty sure a few on here had a look at. $120 - $140k from memory, but don't know what it sold for

but since I was a kid always wanted a 993

always wanted a carrera

is a targa worth considering or do I wait for the right carrera

I am a purest so looking for a manual

A tip is something I am not prepared to compromise on

i want to hang out but have been hanging out for 5 years

i have a window of this year then opportunity potentially closes again due to other financial commitments.

i really want my dream which is a 993, .

would prefer to be comfortable and spending closer to $100

overconstrain

Verb

(third-person singular simple present overconstrains, present participle overconstraining, simple past and past participle overconstrained)

1. To apply excessive constraints (to)

Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/overconstrain#8EEbvIxYdSXUd2Vl.99

Jonathon,

Like you I had a choice between a Tiptronic equipped 993 or no 993 at all.

I could have been "pure" and never owned a 993 and tell others for the rest of my life that I never compromised.  But I would have been a dickhead to take that path.

I bought a beautiful blue on blue Tiptronic for less than what I paid for my C3.2 and have not regretted it for a moment.  I simply love it. Sure the wide ratios make you work at it in sub 100kph corners but with a full flush of Castrol Transmax Z (about 200 bucks worth!) it shifts nice enough.

Your happiness is up to you.

overconstrain

Verb

(third-person singular simple present overconstrains, present participle overconstraining, simple past and past participle overconstrained)

1. To apply excessive constraints (to)

Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/overconstrain#8EEbvIxYdSXUd2Vl

so I just wanted to share my position, thoughts feelings of the decision process I am trying to work through with like minded passionate people. Sure it's over constrained but that's emotion on something I am inherently passionate about.

Anyway thanks to those who have provided opinions and perspectives as this is what I was seeking.

much appreciated

Archived