Disrobing KLASSSSY / De-959-ing

JonoF

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

STAGE 3 - Engine/Transaxle - Things that make you go Vrrrroooommmmm!

KLASSSY is packing a non-original 3.0L engine. 

The 3.0L engine was involved in an insurance fraud by one of the previous owners.  The previous owner apparently reported the car stolen, made an insurance claim, got the claim paid out, then someone discovered the engine sitting in his shed!  The NSW Police removed the previous engine number from the case and issued a nice shiny new one beginning in "N" and ending in "P". 

1D7F56B0-08B0-4AF0-88A7-ACAF6AAE7C40_zps

(3.0L Engine above)

The 3.0L engine is great for someone wanting to build a race engine, but of little use for a 911E restoration. I want to the make my car as close to original as possible!  

So, I put the engine on eBay and Gumtree either for sale or for swap. 

I had lots of tyre kickers come and check out the engine.  Lots of good offers and nearly sold it to one bloke.  But at the last minute, I was contacted by aPorschaparts and offered a swap for a very crusty (but 100% complete) 1971 911E engine and transaxle. Cheering! What fantastic luck I'm having!!

7F5763FB-8172-426B-B1D6-B1B991E308EF_zps

(2.2L Engine above)

The 2.2L engine needs a full restoration! No doubt about that!

I will do the full engine rebuild myself. I am currently in the planning stage - trying to cost up all the parts needed/desired.

QUESTION: Can anyone recommend a very good machine shop in Sydney (preferably a shop that has worked on air cooled engines previously)? Up until recently, I always used the experts at L.W. Parry in Rockdale, but they have completely closed down and I have been using different machine shops without much success.   

STAGE 3 - Engine/Transaxle - Things that make you go Vrrrroooommmmm!

KLASSSY is packing a non-original 3.0L engine. 

The 3.0L engine was involved in an insurance fraud by one of the previous owners.  The previous owner apparently reported the car stolen, made an insurance claim, got the claim paid out, then someone discovered the engine sitting in his shed!  The NSW Police removed the previous engine number from the case and issued a nice shiny new one beginning in "N" and ending in "P"

why am I not surprised that a car cut up and adorned with horrendous fibreglass bodywork was once involved in criminal activity.

You are not only restoring this thing, you're giving it another chance at life on the straight and narrow.

QUESTION: Can anyone recommend a very good machine shop in Sydney (preferably a shop that has worked on air cooled engines previously)? Up until recently, I always used the experts at L.W. Parry in Rockdale, but they have completely closed down and I have been using different machine shops without much success.   

talk to Autohaus

...and move that frigging trailer from opposite my house :)  twice nearly parked ontop of it in the dark

I will be fascinated to see that E engine brought with back to life.  I hope your feeling flush as the MFI is going to eat you alive!

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/porsche-mfi

I have rebuilt many motorcycle engines (including horrible/wonderful desmodromic Ducati engines which require ever bloody component to be shimmed to perfection), so hopefully the 2.2 E engine shouldn't be too hard....?

I welcome any advice, guidance, resources, etc you can offer. :)

@Coastr - I know you are a racer, so would appreciate you sharing contact details of any good machine shops you / your mechanic use. ;)  

...and move that frigging trailer from opposite my house :)  twice nearly parked ontop of it in the dark

Will do mate. I have to take one of my race Ducati's for dyno tuning next week, so hopefully you can avoid reversing into until then.  ;)

Err not a racer and can't help with machine shops, nor with MFI.  I just know the number of people who can put it together is a dwindling pool.

I can help keep the thread alive until someone does recommend a shop though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

STAGE 4 - "THE ROOF, THE ROOF, THE ROOF....IS ON FIRE"

Words cannot express how frustrating this stage of the project is. 

But..... I'll give it a crack.

Earlier this year, I walked into the shiny new workshop of a very well known Porsche parts supplier. 

While purchasing some parts for my 911SC left hooker project, I mentioned I also owned a horrible, horrific and horrendous 911E project. I explained the car started life as a wonderful light yellow coupe, but faired quite badly during the 80s, receiving a roof chop, 959 body kit and purple pearl paint job.

The parts supplier told me that Porsche still supply a replacement coupe roof for air cooled 911s.  This is the image from the parts fische (#29):

Roof.jpg

I did a old-school-ninja-movie-style double take and was like "what what!?"  I drove home, put my feet up, and patted myself on the back for a job well done.

Fast forward 4 months..... 

I drive out to Zags to met with John and George.  I have a big folder of photos of my horrible 911 E project and also the above parts fishe image. 

John and George kindly inform me that the Porsche roof is just a skin and does not have any of the structural component needed to reattach the roof.  My heart literally sinks.  We had a few moments of quiet.  Probably sensing my disappointment, and likely wanting the awkward moment to end, John mentions that they might be able to get their hands on a roof.  I shake their hands, thank them for their help and tell them i'll give them a call the following week.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago...

So, Zags found a sunroof coupe and they don't need the roof.  I was reluctant to take the roof as the 911E was a non-sunroof. 

In the meantime, I have placed an ad on Gumtree looking for a roof.  

A bloke called Jake calls me up.  He tells me he has a 911T coupe that he is cutting up and can do a custom cut on the roof for me.  I genuine loose my s!*t with excitement. 

He seems like a really nice bloke on the phone and we talk quite a few times.  I eventually ask him to send me a photo of the car that he is cutting up......

Bad news.  It is the same car that Beverly Hill Car Club is currently selling via US eBay (I spend lots of time trawling for used cars and parts!).  

This is the car: 

587F68DD-7747-4A90-AF8F-E61C3F4241B1_zps

I inform Jake that I am familiar with the car as I have seen it on US eBay for several months. 

Radio silence.  Jake then contacts me and says that it is cheaper for him to cut the car up in the US and then have it shipped.  I am confused as the car is not cheap to start with (at least in AUD). 

We reach a stale mate when he tells me he requires a $2,500 deposit before he cuts the roof off. I ask him to send me a high definition photograph of his WA driver's licence.  He sends me a highly pixilated photo that looks like he took it on my Motorolla Razor camera phone from 2001. It looks like he has printed a sample licence off from the WA Department of Transport website and added a random photo.  The give away is that the bloke in the photo us smiling! I thought smiling was banned in all licence photos? Regardless, the major details are covered with a post-it-note and when I ask him to reveal them he says "you don't need to know my personal details". 

Fast forward to today...

Zags no longer have the sunroof couple roof.

Jake does not appear to have even had a roof.

Jono still has a roofless 911E.  Big sad face. :(

If anyone has a roof, or even a lead on a roof, I'd love to hear from you.

Jono good to meet you at Bruce's the other day.  Have you seen this?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne-park/auto-body-parts/porsche-912-body-shell/1121427442

Great meeting you at Bruce's the other day too.

Yep - saw it at 4.06pm on Tuesday arvo when he uploaded it. Called him up and left a message. Contacted him yesterday and it appears to roof is gone. 

I also saw the 69 912 coupe shell that a mate of mine is selling on eBay. Unfortunately, the price tag is too high to allow me to chop the roof! 

But thanks for the lead anyway! :)

So the lesson here is that you can always weld in a sunroof patch if you get a sunroof roof.

And gumtree is full of scammers.

You should get turbot to forward your sob story to Magnus.  That guy can tap a big network.  No Porsche guy wants to see a decapitated E forlornly sitting on the donor list.

Is this the one?http://m.ebay.com.au/itm?itemId=191948795347

remember, you also need roof, guards, quarters, indicators, glass, trims, seats, etcetc

not sure what it will sell for but might work out?

Might need to hide it at Zag though.  Wouldn't want the wife to find it??

Thanks for the heads up. I've already been in contact with Al (the seller of that V6 powered red thing). Fingers crossed we can sort something out. 

And yes, hiding the car/cars at Zags might be the ticket!!! 

I have a sunroof roof cut, with working sunroof for sale if it helps.

Chris (Adelaide)

some say I keep the esoteric and obscure, though I think I'm well outklassed, when it comes to 9er's Dragons hoard

Archived