Definitive steering wheel thread

michel

Unfortunately the spline on the SC and Carrera appear to differ :( 

3.2 being the smaller, therefore, if you have a 3.2 and desire the suede wheel, then let me know.

Cheers

You could get a different hub and re-use the wheel.

I'm happy to take either the hub or the wheel & hub off your hands, depending which way you want to go.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately the spline on the SC and Carrera appear to differ :( 

3.2 being the smaller, therefore, if you have a 3.2 and desire the suede wheel, then let me know.

Cheers

oh no, p-Kay...!! What's happened? Am I reading this right? Me wheel don't fit?? ?

You could get a different hub and re-use the wheel.

I'm happy to take either the hub or the wheel & hub off your hands, depending which way you want to go.

You can have both Luke. My darling wants to buy me a wheel for Christmas. Everything for a reason as they say....

You can have both Luke. My darling wants to buy me a wheel for Christmas. Everything for a reason as they say....

You're a lucky man.

Done deal. I can grab it from you at an upcoming SMT or pick it up any night or weekend. Whatever suits you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Having previously confirmed my "moto-lita" fetish... I've now put my order on hold. Thinking of a "prototipo" like this one below. The dished moto is not that dished and a bit worried it might be a bit too close to the dash (for my fat little fingers to fit). Want to check out the proto dishing... I noticed the 350mm moto is only abt 10mm dished and the 380mm is abt 20-odd mm dished. May not be enough...

anyone know how dished is the 380mm  prototipo? And where I can take a look at some in melbourne? Not on screen but in the flesh (just like those goode olde days)...

8B2081DE-E7F8-41C5-AF95-84C6319B1DEE_zps

^^^^^^^^^That's what I would like to know too. Where to look at them in person in Melbourne?

been looking but can't find as yet....

But now know that prototipo  wheels only come in 350mm. So decided to go withthat. Looked around online and found demon tweeks in uk is cheapest, under $300 shipped! Some locals charge $350 or $400. Have placed an order. The good thing with staying with momo I can re-use my boss kit and my cute horn button (thanks fleabay) and they have spacers in case you need the wheel out further which is my biggest worry (wheel too close to dash). So I think I'm sorted... 

Btw, went with black not brushed spokes.... (As my gf said,"it's like us girls selecting handbags")

The good thing with staying with momo I can re-use my boss kit and my cute horn button

Most wheels are PCD 70mm (hole centre to hole centre), so they fit Momo boss kits. Sparco, OMP, SAAS, etc all fit. A lot of the time, the centre horn hole is the same size too

I don't get the hype surrounding Momo wheels. Why a momo?  'Coz Steve Mcqueen had one!' Pffft. What is apparently so good about them to justify the prices? I have a couple myself. One that came with the car, and a suede one I bought from a mate. Also had a Prototipo but never fitted it, as I think they're a bit boring...and that 90% of 911's have got one fitted!

Thinking of grabbing this one and fit a Momo sticker

20160926_153023.jpg

Most wheels are PCD 70mm (hole centre to hole centre), so they fit Momo boss kits. Sparco, OMP, SAAS, etc all fit. A lot of the time, the centre horn hole is the same size too

I don't get the hype surrounding Momo wheels. Why a momo?  'Coz Steve Mcqueen had one!' Pffft. What is apparently so good about them to justify the prices? I have a couple myself. One that came with the car, and a suede one I bought from a mate. Also had a Prototipo but never fitted it, as I think they're a bit boring...and that 90% of 911's have got one fitted!

20160926_153023.jpg

just fitted one of those boring wheel Lee ;) 

B652A9A3-959D-4014-AE84-9F0A3DFF85D4_zps

Did you pick up one of those ned Kelly gear shift knobs??

It does not have to be a Momo, a Nardi or Sparco or similar would do, as long as the quality is there :)

I will always steer clear of the imitation ones though, inferior materials, would not want to be holding one in the event of a crash or even a sudden stop!! Have heard of them breaking!

You want one like mine Lee, nothing like a Protoipo or what ever they are called :P 

?... Yeah, some Nardi wheels look pretty good too. But forgive me Lee I'm just a newbie,  a sheep following the momo herd!  Baa!

All good mate. We like what we like. There's no rules in this car thing. I have a Momo fitted to mine now, though will fit a Sparco or something else with a suede grip in the future 

Lee, good to see you're back online and not floating on the roof of your beloved p-car down the torrens..!! Or hanging on to your momo?

Ok, after a little drama today getting the old off, new wheel on (see diy thread) ... Here it is, folks... The all new singing & dancing momo (sorry not a moto-lita)...

6B20C019-3636-4D1B-8AFD-2D3E76DF2598_zps

its a momo, Jim, but not as you know it!!

Lee, good to see you're back online and not floating on the roof of your beloved p-car down the torrens..!! Or hanging on to your momo?

Ok, after a little drama today getting the old off, new wheel on (see diy thread) ... Here it is, folks... The all new singing & dancing momo (sorry not a moto-lita)...

6B20C019-3636-4D1B-8AFD-2D3E76DF2598_zps

its a momo, Jim, but not as you know it!!

who is the needle man ?

• 4 weeks later...

So I have finally become a paid up member of the Prototipo Collective, having finally found one that has the right level of patina and is the slightly dished version. Next job is choosing a boss. I want to move the wheel closer to me than it is with the original Porsche wheel.. I think the MOMO boss is about 60mm deep. I can also get one that is 95mm (non Momo). Or I can get the original Momo and add spacers, which adds to the cost. There is even an adjustable spacer available (IIRC 40m-75mm).

I know it is a fairly personal thing, but does anybody have any recommendations.:)

Hi Simon, I definitely recommend a spacer as I find the std Porsche wheel a bit too close to the dash at the top (in a 3.2 anyway) . My fingers when at the 11 to 1 position can sometimes touch the dash or worse get caught on the top of the dash.....when in full flight. You're right though, a personal choice on the size of the spacer. 20-30mm as a minimum would be my suggestion but then consider what level of dish the wheel has too... 

Well... Having previously confirmed my "moto-lita" fetish... I've now put my order on hold. Thinking of a "prototipo" like this one below. The dished moto is not that dished and a bit worried it might be a bit too close to the dash (for my fat little fingers to fit). Want to check out the proto dishing... I noticed the 350mm moto is only abt 10mm dished and the 380mm is abt 20-odd mm dished. May not be enough...

anyone know how dished is the 380mm  prototipo? And where I can take a look at some in melbourne? Not on screen but in the flesh (just like those goode olde days)...

8B2081DE-E7F8-41C5-AF95-84C6319B1DEE_zps

If you want dish, why not a mod-07?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived