New Boxster open day Saturday

I just heard an ad on 3AW for the release of the new Boxster with an open day at all centres for this Saturday.

I noticed the announcer called it a seven eighteen.

I know we call them nine elevens and not nine one ones.   

But everything else P car is normally nine eight seven or nine nine three etc etc...

Just wondering if that "new" terminology will take off or will we still call it a seven one eight?

Or is it just a bit of sloppy advertising that wasn't vetted properly?

I know this is not the answer to world peace.   Just interesting.    Well I think it is...

Hope this is the right place for that discussion if any.....

We got invited to the launch and had not RSVP'd apparently quickly enough as we got chased to see if we were coming along. First time I have been rung by the dealership other that to see if I wanted to book my car in for a service! Weird. 

We got invited to the launch and had not RSVP'd apparently quickly enough as we got chased to see if we were coming along. First time I have been rung by the dealership other that to see if I wanted to book my car in for a service! Weird. 

There you go, they are really pushing this launch..plus I just got a second invitation in the mail today... But our launches down here in mehico are open to everyone, with games for the kids etc...

Yep got that one too. First one was some sort of cocktail function this Thursday night. I would love to know how many have been ordered! I noticed on car sales that the number of caymans available is reducing a fair bit and the 2013 cars are only just dipping under $100k now. At $180k for a decent spec 781s you would buy a second hand 997 every day in my humble opinion. 

Yep got that one too. First one was some sort of cocktail function this Thursday night. I would love to know how many have been ordered! I noticed on car sales that the number of caymans available is reducing a fair bit and the 2013 cars are only just dipping under $100k now. At $180k for a decent spec 781s you would buy a second hand 997 every day in my humble opinion. 

Cocktail function!:angry: well humph!   Didn't get one of those invites.   Must be easier to sell them down here.

Can't wait to see the 718 Cayman.

I think the 911 will be the only one to be called nine eleven, all the rest sound better as nine two eight, etc....

917 Cayman, now that would be a beast!! Flat 12 no doubt ;)

I should have quoted you!

I think the 911 will be the only one to be called nine eleven, all the rest sound better as nine two eight, etc....

917 Cayman, now that would be a beast!! Flat 12 no doubt ;)

I should have quoted you!

ha ha yes sorry mate changed that.... dislexic fingers on keyboard I think, or just old fat dreaming

Cocktail function!:angry: well humph!   Didn't get one of those invites.   Must be easier to sell them down here.

Can't wait to see the 718 Cayman.

yeah we are pretty fancy up here in Brisvegas. The Cayman does look good but, well, you know there is that 4cyl elephant in the room. New Audi TT RS looks pretty sweet and way faster if fastest car is what floats your boat. 

On that note, I drove a Cayman GTS, all six cylinders of it, last week.  That'd be the one to have, not the Subbie version.

Planning my second hand purchase for 5 years time. I'm hoping the 981 GTS will do the stupid price thing of the 993 911's (after I buy one that is :) )

I keep getting this advert in Facebook feed.  Apparently a competition where you enter on the day and get a Boxster experience or something.

i am favour of a return to numbered models over names.  In fact I often wonder if there is a market for Porsche - font replacement t badges where you could mix the 'Boxster' badge and replace with 986 in the 911 style font.

not sure why they walked away from that part of their heritage when BMW and Benz and Audi have stuck with it.   Imagine going to buy a BMW 'gazelle' instead of a 3 series, or a Benz 'tumeric' instead of an e-class.

I keep getting this advert in Facebook feed.  Apparently a competition where you enter on the day and get a Boxster experience or something.

i am favour of a return to numbered models over names.  In fact I often wonder if there is a market for Porsche - font replacement t badges where you could mix the 'Boxster' badge and replace with 986 in the 911 style font.

not sure why they walked away from that part of their heritage when BMW and Benz and Audi have stuck with it.   Imagine going to buy a BMW 'gazelle' instead of a 3 series, or a Benz 'tumeric' instead of an e-class.

Following the same logic, the 911 name would disappear and be replaced with 996, 997, etc.... the 996, 986, etc is just the model code and not the name....  I suppose someone somewhere did some market research and names won out over numbers? A way to distance itself from past other non 911s?? I think the names are too established now to change, although it appears they are trying with the 718. A number which bears no real link to anything remotely modern... they would have been better to call it a 914 all along... as that is what is really is, a modern version of 914 :)

I do agree though, numbers for the sports cars at least :)

Needs a whole other thread.....

Nice. I've always wanted to own a classic Porsche. Now I do apparently (according to PC Canberra)

The following historic roadsters will be on display:
  • The all-new 718 Boxster
  • 981 Series Boxster
  • 987 Series Boxster
  • 986 Series Boxster

I just went to PC Adelaide for a quick look. The guy I chatted to was as interested in my SC as the718. Have to say, it is nice. They have 2. A black on black one, and a dark grey on black. The grey one was really nice. Plus 3x 356 cabrio's and a couple of cup cars. Coffee and morning tea as well.

20160625_100206_zpsn4okdslp.jpg

Archived