Ultimate 901 build.

edgy

Ok, I've got your attention. 

What is your ultimate type 901 build? Meaning you can cherry pick ANY parts that are pre 73, but the whole car is built out of period parts, you can of course use a brake pad to fit the period correct brake caliber in a modern composition, but it rules out later boxster brakes etc. 

Template: 

Donor Body: 

Motor: 

Fuel delivery/induction: 

Transmission: 

Brakes: 

Suspension: 

Wheels:

Interior:  

Body/Aero mods: 

Electrical: 

Other: 

I'm interested to hear what you would chose. 

I'm going to break a few rules because I love 901s but dont know much about what motor/box/suspension/ ect ect is in what ect. 

Donor Body: Any - hardtop. White

Motor: 2.7rs or 2.4 if it doesn't fall in the date range. None the less, i'd work the crap out of it because i cannot not touch a engine. 

Fuel delivery/induction: This will all have to be custom for me. All electronic. So, ITBs ect. 

Transmission: No idea here, What ever works?

Brakes: Biggest available B)

Suspension: What good is old suspension? KW or Ohlins for me. 

Wheels: 901 steel wheels, modified with larger barrels for wider tyres. Sizes? bigger is better ;) Oh in black. 

Interior:  Original, CanCan (red) come out then? 

Body/Aero mods: None, keep it original. 

Electrical: All modern. 

Other: All chrome would go black. 

Ok, I've got your attention. 

What is your ultimate type 901 build? Meaning you can cherry pick ANY parts that are pre 73, but the whole car is built out of period parts, you can of course use a brake pad to fit the period correct brake caliber in a modern composition, but it rules out later boxster brakes etc. 

Template: 

Donor Body: 

Motor: 

Fuel delivery/induction: 

Transmission: 

Brakes: 

Suspension: 

Wheels:

Interior:  

Body/Aero mods: 

Electrical: 

Other: 

I'm interested to hear what you would chose. 

body - 73 Coupe

motor - 3 liter slide injection kulgerfischer pump

trans - close ratio 915 magnesium case

brakes - 930 turbo

suspension - coil over non adjustable (don't kid ourselves, we can't tell the difference on road)

'wheels - 8 an 10 Fuchs, 15 inch

interior - light carpets, lollipop seats

body - 2.8 RSR

Electrical - yes please

color - beige grey

A 3.6 with pmo's is period correct right kurt? Or am I cheating over here?

who's checking ?

body - 73 Coupe

brakes - 930 turbo

suspension - coil over non adjustable (don't kid ourselves, we can't tell the difference on road)

body - 2.8 RSR

Electrical - yes please

color - beige grey

this is the shit I love reading! ?

Donor Body: '69 - That's my favourite number dude!

Motor: 2.0T Subaru STI Spec C

Fuel delivery/induction: Motec, Anti-Lag, Launch Control

Transmission: Tractive 6 Speed Sequential

Brakes: AP Racing, Hydraulic handbrake

Suspension: Reiger

Wheels: Campagnolo Group 4 - Gold, or maybe Fifteen52 Turbomacs...

Interior:  Race/Rally spec. Stripped, Cage, Seats, Harnesses, Tripmeter & Intercom

Body/Aero mods: ST/R, Grp 4 flairs, lightpod

Electrical: Magnetti Marelli 

So pretty much a WRCar in a P-car shell!

Oh that's right...you mentioned something about "period" parts... I can swap out the Coralba Tripmeter for an old Halda...will that do?

Be lazy and buy this http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=220098100&isSearchRequest=true&scopeId=C&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&minFirstRegistrationDate=1960-01-01&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1975-12-31&makeModelVariant1.makeId=20100&makeModelVariant1.modelId=3&pageNumber=4 :)

Edit: But if it was something that I was to build, cause that could be fun :)

What ever is needed to make it look like this (not being an early aficionado!!) 73 RSR ish, sans the duck tail (nope do not like them.. sacrilegious I know, but that is what I like :) ) Even the right colour for me

1973-porsche-911-carrera--5w1_zpspnvgyeq

who's checking ?

well it looks correct with long intake trumpets so who would know :ph34r:

915 box

3.6 with trumpets, just tell everyone you converted to twin plug. bonus points for slide throttle. Double bonus points for secondary injectors at the top of the trumpets, or stand off injectors, though these would likely suit a high revving 3.0L made into a 3.3 short stroke. or 2.7 made into a 2.9L short stroke.

large bore monty muffler to fit under the rear valence

lexan rear window, quarter windows

welded in six point cage, must be painted in body colour, or bonus points if you integrate it like a RUF

vitaloni mirrors mounted direct to the doors

momo steering wheel of appropriate vintage

seats like these http://www.vintageseats.com/products/rs-seat

I'm just messin with edgy and his period correctness, but it would be pretty wild!

This 912 is on STI powered and pretty damn cool i reckon.

https://www.instagram.com/porsche912rsti/

If I had my time again with the 912 knowing what I know now, it would probably have a WRX turbo engine in it. Would've been cheaper than rebuilding the original engine anyway! 

The 'period correct purist' is gradually leaving me now

I more or less threw the period parts bin into the equation for the challenge of it, rather than the purists/elitists factor. It's really easy now in 2016 to cherry pick from 50 years of 911 parts, a little harder with 10 years of production parts. 

I will confess and divulge now I guess? I am thinking about my next Porsche, I am going to be (hopefully) in a position to take on a car project next year onwards, I would very much like to do something of the kind. 

Although I am so far thinking: <66 narrow body, small capacity MFI motor etc etc.

I like this flavour very much (except the wheels), what happened to the guy that had ordered one on here? I was following that, but it seems to have disappeared. 

weekend-racer-header-2015.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I can throw my 2 cents in here.

Donor Body: '74 911

Motor: 2.7 RS spec

Fuel delivery/induction: ITB's and EFI

Transmission: 915

Brakes: 930 master cylider, braided lines

Suspension: TBA

Wheels: 9" and 11" Fuchs, diameter to be determined on tyre availability

Interior:  Half cage, period race seats

Body/Aero mods: 2.8RSR in Gulf Orange with stupid lairy stripes ;) 

Electrical: ?

body - 73 Coupe

brakes - 930 turbo

body - 2.8 RSR

Electrical - yes please

color - beige grey

Interesting colour choice, my Aussie 67 is in the paint shop as we speak being returned to its delivery colour of beige grey. Can't wait. 

Magnus steering wheel , Magnus louvres , Magnus wheels , Magnus key fob & drilled key - and some Magnus stickers.

What have I missed?

Every panel needs to be a different colour.

I would consult my 1968 factory "Information Regarding Porsche Vehicles Used for Sports Purpose Manual" and build a targa rally type car.

Of course this would require a long hunt for rare and expensive parts. But it would be an ultimate 901 & involve some interesting overseas travelling .

Interesting colour choice, my Aussie 67 is in the paint shop as we speak being returned to its delivery colour of beige grey. Can't wait. 

Its a great color. My 73E is that color and it looks really cool. Unusual but not completely off the wall. 

Its a great color. My 73E is that color and it looks really cool. Unusual but not completely off the wall. 

I saw a couple of beige grey cars at Rennsport USA.  Aside from the 1980's guards red respray, my 67 is otherwise basically unmodified.  Such a shame it got painted...

As to the original question, I still have my old tarmac rally car stashed away in the shed, thus:

Donor Body: 1970 911T non sunroof, AU del

Motor: twin plug 2.8RSR+

Fuel delivery/induction: MFI

Transmission: 915 with very short gears and LSD

Brakes: Boxster all round, twin master cyl with adjustable bias

Suspension: big torsion bars, custom bilsteins, adjustable sway bars

Wheels: Fuch 8x15 F, Minilite (real) 9x15 R

Interior:  full cage, intercom, trip meter etc

Body/Aero mods: 911ST, SAMSON colours - dark blue with signal yellow bumpers

Electrical: 

Other: Super quick, would murder my old 930 on anything other than a runway

Donor Body:  69/70 coupe

Motor:  worked 2.7 

Fuel delivery/induction:  PMO's

Transmission: G50

Brakes: boxster

Suspension: stock, lowered

Wheels: widened red steelies with caps

Interior:  red leather

Body/Aero mods: none

Electrical: modernised

Other: off white paint. Venetian blind and a Weltmeister decal for the rear window. 

Note: Dang - I just re-read the rules! haha...corrections underlined...

Donor Body:  Any pre 73, ST style flares, bumpers...dark blue non-metallic with some graphics around the place to break up the colour, chromed window and headlight surrounds

Motor:  993 3.6 (no valve adjustments, less leaking!)  oops...I'd go a rebuilt 3.0SC motor (dunno why, I just like 'em!)

Fuel delivery/induction:  Motec EFI & PMO's, tuned for torque over KW

Transmission: 993 6 speed G50(?), Rothsport shifter, LSD, LWFW....oops...915 with refreshed bushings and rothsport shifter..

Brakes: boxster...oops...930

Suspension: Elephant Racing throughout

Wheels: Group 4 Campag reps in gold or bronze, sometimes swapping to anthracite custom wantanabes, prob 15 inch, fatty classic tires

Interior:  Singer-like, Momo Mod-07, fixed back buckets, no rear seats, half cage, probably a dark beige hue...

Body/Aero mods: ST style

Electrical: modernised, CAN-bus if we're getting really swanky!....well then....dunno now...

Other: colour coded bumpers (not chrome), bullet-style chrome mirrors, fire-bottle, hidden fuel filler (inside frunk), aircon, a decent stereo (hidden) with bluetooth etc and some sound-deadening so that I can drive it on long trips without getting a headache...

A bit like this..

96010c6154bb65373f9182e34a947a45.jpg

Interior

porsche911singer3_zps905615461.jpg

Bonus points....if we are talking ANY Porsche...Mine would be a 964 or 993 based IROC replica with lots of modernisation underneath (MOTEC, EFI, PMO, CANBUS, 993 RS Suspension Architecture, 993 6Spd, BBS E50's gold centres and polished lips, same colour combo's and creature comforts as above...)

• 3 weeks later...

Donor Body: '67 912. Painted leaf green

Motor: cut 'n' shut 911/4 on a 67 911 case

Fuel delivery/induction: some fantasy based MFI 

Transmission: something out of a 904  & LSD 

Brakes: 917

Suspension:  raised spindles, dbl acting koni ext adj & coils , adj sway bars etc

Wheels: bi metallic 

Interior: not a lot : rubber mats , felt stuck on the roof. Recaro Rallye 2's cage 

Body/Aero mods: chemically lightened panels, drillium, Alloy door boot trunk

Electrical: 

Other: biodes and cibie hood lights , TB's

Donor Body: '69 - That's my favourite number dude!

Motor: 2.0T Subaru STI Spec C

Fuel delivery/induction: Motec, Anti-Lag, Launch Control

Transmission: Tractive 6 Speed Sequential

Brakes: AP Racing, Hydraulic handbrake

Suspension: Reiger

Wheels: Campagnolo Group 4 - Gold, or maybe Fifteen52 Turbomacs...

Interior:  Race/Rally spec. Stripped, Cage, Seats, Harnesses, Tripmeter & Intercom

Body/Aero mods: ST/R, Grp 4 flairs, lightpod

Electrical: Magnetti Marelli 

So pretty much a WRCar in a P-car shell!

Oh that's right...you mentioned something about "period" parts... I can swap out the Coralba Tripmeter for an old Halda...will that do?

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/08/15/subaru-powered-hot-rod-ossi-blue-1968-porsche-912/

That would be awesome, at about half the price...

I saw that 912 shell on gumtree for $19K and thought about doing this...wonder if it really went as cheap as it seems on ebay - I missed it being listed there.

Archived